Emulator details

• Emulator used: Snes9x 1.43v12 (beta 10)
  • Sync settings:
    • Use WIP 1 timing
adelikat You must also enable Left+Right/Up+Down to get this movie to sync.

Details on the run

• Aims for Fastest Time
  • Takes Damage to Save Time
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Played on Hardest Difficulty

About the run

This is an improvement over Nitsujas previously published run, it is 4784 frames (or just under 80 seconds) faster. The biggest improvements came from many of the bosses in the game (especially the boxing fight), by using even more dangerous strategies, and finding the address for boss health to make sure to use the optimal amount of hits to kill them (without having to slow down). But a lot of it also came from more optimized movement, pretty much everything is faster by some amount. Finally some seconds of the improvement is lag reduction. Note that whenever I don't use spindash where it looks like it would be faster to, it is either because using it too much will make me incapacitated for a few seconds or it actually isn't faster (usually due to having to wait for your chargemeter to go up).
I will give more in depth comments about different parts of the run if it is asked for.

mmbossman: Hot damn, that was fast and entertaining. A worthy improvement to the published movie.
ShinyDoofy: Processing... However, I will withhold publication until the .smv has been updated (setting byte 0x17 to 0x57 instead of 0x53 should activate L+R/U+D).
adelikat: Updating submission file with a version that checks L+R by default. (This change does not affect the movie in anyway).

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2147: Cpadolf's SNES Sparkster in 18:16.48
I'm getting a desync at the boxing fight. Looked really good up till that.
Player (223)
I got desync at the same place, but what I saw was cool.
<adelikat> I've been quoted with worse
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
This run desyncs consistently for me in the space level, unless I check "allow left+right/up+down" in the sync settings box in the playback dialogue, so you might want to add that in the "sync settings" list in the submission text. I'll view it more fully (not fast-forwarded to scan for desync) after thanksgiving dinner.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Wow, I didn't expect this TAS be this good. I was amazed throughout. And a huge improvement over the previous movie. Excellent work sir. Very high ratings from me.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1431)
Hm, I did have "allow left+right / up+down" enabled during the recording of the run just in case I'd find a use for it, but I never did so before submitting it I turned it off to avoid any confusion. But I must have accidentally pressed left+right somewhere in the space level so that the movie got screwed up. Anyway thank you adelikat for noticing and updating the submission text (as well as for the nice rating :p).
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Skilled player (1404)
Ooo, shiny! Shame you couldn't get the crystal reactor glitch to work. But whatever! Still a fine run. I'd like to link to a macro of Kung Fu Panda's Monkey giving a thumbs up, but I don't have one, so instead I'll link to this gif I was inspired to create after watching one of the WIPs. It's sure to encapsulate the dizzying speeds of this run!
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Heh, even though the correct sync settings were mentioned in the submission message, I still accidentally watched it with wrong settings, because I had been used to them being set automatically. Great run!
Skilled player (1431)
Ferret Warlord wrote:
Shame you couldn't get the crystal reactor glitch to work.
Actually I could, but I would have had to sacrifice a lot of time in order to do so (never going to far to the right means you can't destroy a crystal in one rotation).
Player (88)
It's a pretty rare occasion when a game I have never played can make for such an entertaining TAS. This game is very well suited for running, and you did a great job on it Cp. 9/9
They're off to find the hero of the day...
Really nice, good marks here.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Banned User
Sparkster is awesome. This run is awesome. yes/10
Gone.
upthorn
He/Him
This is pretty great. I just watched this one and Nitsuja's comparatively. This is more entertaining in the bird riding level, about the same in the space level, and a little bit less in most other places where there's waiting. However, the level of optimization is significantly visibly improved over nitsuja's run. Rating 8/10
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
You did indeed use left+right after the miniboss, which caused Sparkster to stay put rather than to go left. It surprised me that one could improve over Nitsuja's run so much. 8.3/9.3/obvious yes
Skilled player (1431)
Bob A wrote:
You did indeed use left+right after the miniboss, which caused Sparkster to stay put rather than to go left.
Ah, forgot about that, well thanks for finding it anyway.
Former player
Ferret Warlord wrote:
Ooo, shiny!
Yes? scnr!
Active player (308)
The explosion sound effect... from Contra Hard Corps. TCHBWAH!
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2104)
EDIT: Wow, this is really awesome! It's a little strange that Snes 9x's sound quality appears better this time... um, for some reasons, this run looks even better than the published S-*censored*, uh, never mind. EDIT 2: If this will be pubished, the "left+right" thing shall be fixed...
pirate_sephiroth wrote:
TCHBWAH!
What does that mean? Some English hints, please?
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
upthorn
He/Him
klmz wrote:
pirate_sephiroth wrote:
TCHBWAH!
What does that mean? Some English hints, please?
It's a sound effect -- it is meant to be pronounced the way the video game explosion sounds.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1232] SNES Sparkster by Cpadolf in 18:16.48
Ren
"Don't blink or you'll miss it." Definite yes.Fast, smooth and entertaining.