• Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.28 (the submitted movie file is an .fm2 that synchs with FCEUX.)
  • Aims for fastest possible time.
  • Manipulates luck.
  • Genre: Storybook.
This run beats the published run by 45 frames (0.75 sec). The improvements are:
(~f means "around frame", so ~f9500 means that the improvement took place around frame 9500 in the run)
  • ~f9500: After exiting the building, go to outside the bar using top of picture instead of minimap - saves 4f
  • ~f12000: SPEAK to the cab-driver by going to top of picture, saves 9f.
  • ~f23000: Put MEDICINE1 in capsule outside my office instead of inside doctor's room, saves 7f
  • ~f25000: Move more to the right on the minimap, in order to get to the next minimap dot faster, saving 5 frames.
  • ~f31000: SPEAK to the cab-driver by going to top of picture, saves 9f.
  • ~f35100: I waste less time manipulating luck, saving 5 frames.
  • ~f36000: Move more to the right on minimap while moving towards police station, to reach police doors faster, saves 6 frames.
For more information about this run in general, please refer to the submission text for the previous runs.
Yeah, not a big improvement to a 10min run, but I spent a lot of time looking for improvements, and these were all I could find. But history has shown that this run will probably be improved in the future anyway. :)
This run was almost entirely made in TAS movie editor, so thanks again to Maximus for this awesome tool!

adelikat: And another submission that is just a touch up job by the author. I'll go ahead and set it to accepted.
ShinyDoofy: Claimed encoding for Johannes.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2177: Randil's NES Déjà Vu in 10:16.98
Skilled player (1885)
Why does NesVideoAgent report this movie to be 10:16.98? The submitted .fm2 is 37080 frames long, which is 37080/60 = 618 seconds, exactly 10min 18 seconds. Where did this 1.02 second difference come from?
NesVideoAgent beat your time and submitted HIS version. :D
No.
I do know the NES' frame rate is not exactly 60fps, but is in fact slightly higher. But I don't know the exact number. According to the number of frames and the time stated by NesVideoAgent, it's 60.0991928 frames per second? Edit: although I see the previous submission is pretty recent, so that's probably not the reason. (Edit2: thanks adelikat, so I was right after all)
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
I wonder if the timing issue has to deal with the fact that this is a .fm2 file instead of the .fcm (like with older runs)?
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Yeah, the issue is that NVA reports the time based on 60.1 now (Bisqwit changed it sometime around this past summer). However, FCEU and FCEUX both report the time of a .fcm/.fm2 based on 60fps (50 pal)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
OMFG! I can't believe you even managed to improve this as you did! Still sterling :) Makes me realize I still need to improve my own speedrun... which I am still ever grateful for you letting me know about the error in my guide. wtg Randil Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
I await the encode.
Skilled player (1090)
This is the only game of the NES storybook series that I really played through and enjoyed. I think it still makes a good TAS and it's great to see that you are still interested in improving it. Not the final revision I hope :-P
Former player
Will encode.
Emulator Coder, Former player
Well done Randil. Your improvements never cease to amaze :)
Former player
I encoded this and sent it to ShinyDoofy yesterday, but he hasn't had time to publish it, so I'll post it here temporarily: www.sm64.org/Div/dejavu-tas-randil.mkv If it plays choppily or eats CPU, please tell me, along with basic computer specifications and what you used to decode it.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1260] NES Déjà Vu by Randil in 10:16.98
Oh man, why do I have to be at Mums house when this comes to be approved, her internet is REALLY slow. Anyway, downloading the video and gonna upload, don't expect 5 minutes results like the last few times though sorry. Edit: For some reason the video consitiutes to terms of use violation, gonna reupload. Edit 2: It turns out the video is 16 seconds too long. Youtube, why did you fix the 10:59 limit? WHY!?