After FractalFusion more or less found the workings of what makes the cannon successfully destroy the colony, I decided to do this run for a quick change of pace. So, I say welcome to my first submission of many for the year :)
Emulator - PCSX 0.0.7
  • Hardest difficulty
  • Takes damage to save time
  • No annoying Alia mid-stage dialog boxes beyond the intro

Good ol' introductory stage

This stage went by fairly quickly, except for the fact that you're interrupted by Alia every 5 seconds. It's slightly faster to do a normal walljump and not a dash walljump when climbing up a wall that's moving towards you. The bossfight here goes by quite fast, excluding the last hit which is done when it is so as to get the rng to something that'll work with the cutscene to make the cannon fire successfully. The delay in the cutscene is also for this reason, as the flashes change the rng value aswell.

Virus Blue

The first of the 3 Virus levels. This one has many annoying lasers of doom that would surely kill you many times over if you were playing the game for the first time. I take damage to get through the 2 ride armor enemies as opposed to killing them as it takes less time. The last laser can't be avoided by jumping past it, so an airdash or regular dash must be used to pass it instead. Not much to say about the boss, although you might recognize it from somewhere.

Virus Purple

The second of the Virus stages, I destroy quite a number of the ride armor enemies, as it's faster to destroy them (32 frames) if the invincibility you get from taking damage (~42-45 frames for the damage animation, ~70 frames of invincibility) wont benefit you. The rope "climbing" at the end is done every 7 frames to maximize vertical gain. Not much to say about this boss either, but you might recognize this one too (although it's had a bit of a makeover).

Virus Red

The third and final Virus stage. This one is pretty straight forward. The only thing worth mentioning is that the ledge on the right side of the spike pit has a ridiculously small grab area of about 2 pixels, making it essentially impossible to do realtime. Boss wise, X just stands there and lets me destroy him, although according to the dialog, he gave me a hard time by using soul body. How peculiar.

Final Stage

It probably has a better name than that, but I don't really know it. The final stage contains a ridiculous amount of spiked ceilings at the start followed by spiked pits in the middle, making it a little difficult to move smoothly. When it comes to the boss rush however, it certainly is a rush as they all go down pretty quickly despite having more than twice the amount (127) of HP they'd normally have. Axel the Red will jump to the other side of the arena and do his thorn whip grab attack if I attacked him while I was just standing there, which is why I seemingly wasted time while waiting for him to make his next move.
The programmers must've had a grudge against the players to do this. The odd number of HP is also why I try to end each boss battle with a 3 hit combo, as it is a frame or two faster than an airslash if all 3 hits connect.
After this part, I grab an energy capsule for the next area, as it's quite painful. Skipping past that, right before the final boss door I grab the full energy capsule despite the fact I don't get hit in the following bossfights. This is because when I didn't grab it, I was unable to get sigma to just stand there like he does, even when delaying things and doing stuff.
Sigma 2 is a lot better than I thought it would've been, as he doesn't get a chance to use his purple squares of doom that deal 25 damage if they hit you. After that, there's basically text text and more text until the end of the movie file.

The most obvious improvement I could see to this run would be removal of the wait at the start for the rng to be in a state where the cannon will fire with no delay on text and minimal delay on bossfight.
I didn't test whether or not getting the ultimate armor for X would be a plausible strategy for the final stage, but I doubt it'd be worthwhile due to a capsule scene and a longer stage bossfight. Not to mention that zero dominates basically every boss anyway through SDC-ing.
If I were to suggest a screenshot, it would surely have to be this:
The end rank for X is B, and for Zero it's GA. According to the ingame timer, this TAS apparently comes in at 5 minutes 50 seconds for completion time. Wonder how the hell it came to that conclusion?
Main thanks for this go to FractalFusion for finding useful information that without, I couldn't have made this. Also to ShinyDoofy for mirroring the video.
Overall, I hope you enjoy watching this submission :)

Truncated: Though the reception seems to be a little bit mixed on this one, I think it is good enough for publication. It certainly looks TAS-y.
ShinyDoofy: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2186: Atma's PSX MegaMan X5 in 16:58.68
Skilled player (1885)
Awesome! That brought back memories. What I would love is an encode with all the downtimes (load screens, dialogue, etc.) cut out, to maximize the action intensity (there were quite a lot of these in the run, of course not a fault of yours). Well, I really enjoyed watching this, so keep these MMX PSX TASes coming!
Player (57)
Plus possible improvements on the SNES ones. :)
Active player (292)
That's strange all the bosses seem to have a weakness to being hit rapidly with the Z-saber, why didn't light ever think of that? nice run 8.1/8.4
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
errror1 wrote:
That's strange all the bosses seem to have a weakness to being hit rapidly with the Z-saber, why didn't light ever think of that? nice run 8.1/8.4
Because Dr. Light is still trying to find ways to peacefully beat Dr. Wiwey. One thing I did notice on the run - do you really need to get that energy capsule just before Sigma? You didn't need it and waiting for the energy bar to fill takes time.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Sir VG wrote:
One thing I did notice on the run - do you really need to get that energy capsule just before Sigma? You didn't need it and waiting for the energy bar to fill takes time.
Read his comments before you say something like that :) Voted 9 and 10, just awesome!
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
In Virus Purple stage, the second ride armor enemy you hit can be bypassed by jumping over it, then going under the next one. In Final stage, when you reach the second ride armor (which floats where there are no platforms) there is a wall in the next spike pit which has no spikes; it is possible to wall jump off there directly to the top of the other side, without grabbing its wall. Otherwise, it's all good. You beat me in ways I never thought. Especially the second part of Final stage; that part is really hard.
Atma wrote:
According to the ingame timer, this TAS apparently comes in at 5 minutes 50 seconds for completion time. Wonder how the hell it came to that conclusion?
If you aren't joking... well anyway, the in-game timer only counts when you control your character in stages. It ignores cutscenes, stage select, and loss of character control. It's like that as well in Mega Man X6. In before "You are 5 minutes slower than the run at SDA".
Former player
FractalFusion wrote:
In Virus Purple stage, the second ride armor enemy you hit can be bypassed by jumping over it, then going under the next one.
Huh, so you can. I could've sworn that I tried that and it failed.
In Final stage, when you reach the second ride armor (which floats where there are no platforms) there is a wall in the next spike pit which has no spikes; it is possible to wall jump off there directly to the top of the other side, without grabbing its wall.
I just tried this, but unless that wall right next to the spikes has a ridiculously small grab range like the one in Virus Red, it doesn't get enough height to clear the wall as you die when you try to get close enough until zero is quite far down. I imagine that this would save maybe 2-5 frames though if it was pulled off successfully.
FractalFusion wrote:
If you aren't joking...
Atma wrote:
FractalFusion wrote:
If you aren't joking...
I meant if you were joking about wondering how it came to that conclusion, not if you were joking that it came to that conclusion. Of course I know that. And you quoted yourself. I fixed it.
Former player
FractalFusion wrote:
I meant if you were joking about wondering how it came to that conclusion, not if you were joking that it came to that conclusion. Of course I know that. And you quoted yourself. I fixed it.
So I did *fixes*. I opened up the video in virtualdubmod and removed all instances of the now loading etc. screens, and still got a video that was about 12 or so minutes in length, so to only have control over zero for a period for less than half of that seems a little far fetched. I suppose those warnings, health bar fillings and explosions must take their fair toll on the timer.
very impressive. some of the boss fights were astounding. i give it two 8s. concerning Ultimate X, i'm doubting that's it's worth getting in a TAS. for a nonTAS, it's a must, though.
Finally, a Megaman game in which the boss refights weren't tiresome! :) Looked good to my untrained eye. Nice work!
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Satoryu wrote:
concerning Ultimate X, i'm doubting that's it's worth getting in a TAS. for a nonTAS, it's a must, though.
I checked, and Nova Strike does 8 damage. It can't be spammed either. The only way to stop it early is to dash into a wall. Black Zero does the same SDC damage as Zero, so that can't be used either.
Atma wrote:
In Final stage, when you reach the second ride armor (which floats where there are no platforms) there is a wall in the next spike pit which has no spikes; it is possible to wall jump off there directly to the top of the other side, without grabbing its wall.
I just tried this, but unless that wall right next to the spikes has a ridiculously small grab range like the one in Virus Red, it doesn't get enough height to clear the wall as you die when you try to get close enough until zero is quite far down. I imagine that this would save maybe 2-5 frames though if it was pulled off successfully.
Scratch this. I forgot that I used air dash to make it successfully. I have short-term memory.
Great run. I'm not a TAS maker at all, but even I could recognize some good manipulation with some of the boss fights. I've always disliked how the characters control in the Playstation versions (feels too clunky), but Zero moves wonderfully with tool-assisted precision. I'd like to see an all-Maverick run someday, if only to see characters breeze through the cluttered stages (and because X5 has some of the series' better stage music).
Will upload to youtube if someone makes an AVI encode. VirtualDub does not like MKV's for some reason.
Skilled player (1885)
Flygon wrote:
Will upload to youtube if someone makes an AVI encode. VirtualDub does not like MKV's for some reason.
Can you upload this to youtube even though it's over 10 minutes long? Or will you upload it in two parts or something?
for everyone who doesn't seem to know what the play time means, i'm pretty sure it means time spent actually playing the game as opposed to flying through the story.
Former player
Flygon wrote:
VirtualDub does not like MKV's for some reason.
Avidemux does.
As suggested by Randil, I made an AVI with most wait times and cutscenes cut out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZrxSel6heg (may not be ready yet) I cut out the transitions between levels and the transitions between capsules at the boss refights as well. I left in the Alia dialogs in the intro level and a clip of the Enigma blowing up. The last level is insane on the codec. I can't see that a x264 bitrate (16-bit color though I don't know for sure if it matters) lower than 600 is reasonable. I used VirtualDub and a bitrate of 800.
I hit up some download version, can't remember whose XD Anyways, I loved it. Hell, I turned away for two seconds and the game was completed! Yes
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Skilled player (1086)
Mega Man runs are awesome usually due to fast and precise levels with crazy glitching. This run seemed to be mostly boss battles with a huge amount of downtime for a Mega Man movie which I was less fond of. Some of the boss battles were cool but it was a lot of the same. Anyway, the movie was clearly well done and it had its moments, but I definitely never found it as entertaining as most people did. 6/7.7
Ha![SDC!] Ha! Huh! [SDC!] Not that entertaining for me, e'en with the load times and cutscenes cut out ... High point for me was noticing the first Virus le'el's resemblance to Quick Man's stage, and the demon appearing. 5.5/abstain
I uploaded a full version to megavideo (important: read the instructions below): http://www.megavideo.com/?v=XX2T9LCZ Instructions: Click the red button. An ad may pop up and your window may switch. Just keep track of where it came from. Now where the red arrow was, a green button will eventually appear. Click the green button. Some trivia: This TAS destroys as many non-bosses as bosses (14 each).
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
So, in this megaman game there are no robot stages?
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
FODA wrote:
So, in this megaman game there are no robot stages?
They exist, but they're all an illusion - a way to trick the human mind. It's the "Guns 'n Roses Mind Trick."
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing