• Aims for fastest time
  • FBA0.24.94.98
  • Genre: Platform
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
  • two rounds

How to replay it

Ghouls’n Ghosts in FBA is a little different from other ROM.It need some check.So you need have got another file besides recording file.It is FBA.roms.dat, please rename it and put it in \config\ [Edit: dead link to FBA.roms.dat removed]
Ghouls’n Ghosts in Gens is almost same as that in Arcade.Ferret Warlord did good work in here,but Arcade Game has some limit,for example,no password and less armour(I think it can only be manipulated in last stage).There are some new discovery and improvment in this work.
  • Weapon's selection:dart is better,so I manipulate it in stage2
  • A small glitch:fire/hit-delay(like Scumtron's NES Ninja Gaiden 2),it can help me takes no damage in 1-3 frame.It's very important.
  • Some detail improvment and shorter boss's fight
  • Good place where I take damage

Impression

FBA always desynced.I revised it every 30 second.It cost my much time.I think game's randomness is main cause.It is better if new FBA can have "memory watch",I now use some cheat tool to watch memeoy,it is not convenient:(
  • Thanks to mz and my Chinese friends.

adelikat: Accepting for publication & processing. I can't encode this, hopefully someone else will.

Chaosv1: Encoding...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2266: Xipo's Arcade Ghouls 'n Ghosts in 13:18.18
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3598)
Well, I've already watched this movie, and I'll just say it is a quality addition to the site, so easy yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1404)
Love the Engrish in this one; it's even worse! I love it. It seems like many things actually cooperate with you in this version! Stupid fire pillar in level 2, dang cloud boss... I vote yes. Shame about no silver armor though. Ah well. I'll go on the record to say that I would not mind if this obsoletes my run. In fact, I'd say go ahead and do so. Edit: Oh dang, they give the Princess's measurements in this one too!
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
This is an acceptable movie of a game on "a new console" arcade that is "new" to this site. So easily Yes.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
fruitbane
He/Him
Would someone like to make and share an encode?
I second fruitbane's message. I can't get this sucker to run appropriately in FBA-RR v0.0.3.01, and I can't seem to figure out how to get v0.24.94.98 to read .fbm files.
adelikat
He/Him
I'm still not getting it to work, in either 001 or 002. I just end up with a "Press Start" screen from frame 1698 on, and I'm not seeing any hotkeys for input display so as to know how far "off" the emulator is from the intended input.
mz
Player (79)
Same here. By the look of the "How to replay it" instructions in the description, I think xipo may have used a bad (or old) dump.
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Experienced player (574)
You can play this back on fbarr-00301. Sometimes when I try to play any fba movie it desyncs within a few seconds, but when I retry once or twice (without closing the rom) it works. fba.roms.dat is just FBA's checklist of ROMs that are available. You do not need it to sync the movie. You don't need to do anything special to watch this movie. PS, "World" doesn't mean the whole world, but everywhere besides Japan, North America, and any other region that didn't get its own release. So it's for South America, Australia, etc. Anyways, I liked what I saw. Here's the original "Loki": Oh, and the current description of the Genesis movie is incorrect. It's not quite the sequel to Ghosts 'n Goblins on the NES, but to this game.
mz
Player (79)
This movie indeed only syncs with a very old ROM dump. I think this one may be from FBA v0.2.96.72 (the most popular release and the final one on the old official website) since most ROM sites seem to only have this set when you search for "fba roms" on Google. josh l. also used this really old set for his Willow movie here, and that movie also desyncs if you try to play it using the newest ROM set. Anyway, I give this movie a Yes. :P I can confirm it syncs with v0.0.3; it only needs an old dump to work. EDIT: Er... Forget what I said, that dump is exactly the same as the newest one. :P The only difference is that I put it inside an empty ROMs\ subfolder now... Weird. I'll investigate later; football now. :D
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Experienced player (574)
Here's an encode, 66 MB. http://www.mediafire.com/?ymalmyyj5mf
Experienced player (954)
Thanks for the encode I guess theres not much difference with snes, but i give it a yes, it seem to be good tech quality, sprites are nice ect... I think encouraging new tas systems imply forcably to "duplicate" some games, this one deserve it at least, very popular and epic! :D
Skilled player (1404)
arukAdo wrote:
I guess theres not much difference with snes, but i give it a yes, it seem to be good quality, sprites are nice ect... I think encouraging new tas systems imply forcably to "duplicate" some games, this one deserve it at least, very popular and epic! :D
Actually, it's the Genesis, not the Super Nintendo. And seriously, go ahead of let it replace my run; I honestly think this version deserves precedent over it.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Experienced player (954)
Yeah sry genesis Theres is as well a SuperGrafx version too, witch also happen to be superior to genesis one As the library is only 8 games, removing G&G will cut down by 1/8 the system library lol Alltought i dont see how harmfull it is to have 2 (or even 3...) different system with that epic game, sound ok to me Its not like a G&G flood all over tasvideos.org lol, just 3/2300 movies :p Super metroid by itself take more "place" and is just on 1 system
Experienced player (574)
Ferret Warlord wrote:
And seriously, go ahead of let it replace my run; I honestly think this version deserves precedent over it.
Well this is abnormal situation for two reasons. First, the home port looks, sounds and plays like the arcade. (Usually arcade is plainly better. I predict many cross-system obsoletions for that reason.) Second is you get to shorten your Genesis run with the level select, which is (sort of) more in the spirit of a TAS. How ironic that the first arcade movie is such a case.
Senior Moderator
Dammit wrote:
Usually arcade is plainly better. I predict many cross-system obsoletions for that reason.
I don't predict that, but I sure hope for that. The only exception I can think of is Contra, because arcade Contra is complete balls. Also, wtf.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1298] Arcade Ghouls 'n Ghosts by Xipo in 13:18.18
The encoding for this movie gets pretty badly desynced (desunc?) starting on the first cycle, third stage or thereabouts. Unfortunate. Still, a nice run. Thanks, Xipo!
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
adelikat
He/Him
This movie was published without obsoleting the SNES version, not because it was decided it shouldn't nor does it set a precedent for future decisions. It is not too late to tack on the obsoletion so it would still be valuable to continue that discussion.
Skilled player (1637)
Uh, once more, with feeling : This is part 2 of a 4 part series - 1. Ghost n' Goblins - (NES, Arcade, Commodore 64, and etc.) 2. Ghouls n' Ghosts - (Genesis, Arcade, Turbograffix and etc.) 3. Super Ghouls n' Ghosts - (Super NES, later ported to others...) 4. Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins - (PSP) Obviously, this series takes after the Resident Evil style of numbering, and is therefore is near impossible to follow, hence the easy confusion. If this movie obsoletes anything, it has to be the Genesis version. I have no opinion, other than please don't obsolete the wrong game.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Skilled player (1404)
To start, it's the Genesis version, not SNES. Small pet peeve. The biggest reason I was advocating obsoleting my run was mainly to show that if it did happen, I wasn't going to be upset, but actually somewhat pleased. Although I won't fight the decision that was made, I still think it should have been otherwise. Basically, it's the original version with a better sound track and graphical presentation. The console port had nothing to add except a level skip code, but I'm willing to sacrifice that. It didn't feel repetitive at all. Besides, the recent Pitfall! run was rejected even though there were some differences with the SNES version that affect gameplay. Or so I heard.
Senior Moderator
Ferret Warlord wrote:
Basically, it's the original version with a better sound track and graphical presentation.
That. It is enough to take precedence in my opinion. Double-loop gameplay is not a problem at all, since you can just stop watching after the first loop, watch only the second loop (it's usually more impressive due to higher difficulty), or watch both.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Derakon wrote:
The encoding for this movie gets pretty badly desynced (desunc?) starting on the first cycle, third stage or thereabouts. Unfortunate.
Same. MPlayer is reporting that my machine is too slow. It's a Celeron D 3.2ghz and hasn't had this problem with any other video I've downloaded in the last two years, so I figure that's probably not the case. Turning on -frameskip "solves" the problem by running at about 45 FPS. This is with the latest SVN of MPlayer, FFmpeg, and x264. Converting the video to another format didn't seem to help at all.
Active player (292)
a game so nice, he played it twice