Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a TAS of the SEGA genesis Mortal Kombat. This movie was made with Gens_10a. The run is on Very Hard mode to ensure that it is entertaining and not a senseless Easy Mode-Beat em up. This run uses Liu Kang. Shang Tsung is not legitimately playable, neither is Goro. I use the Genesis version because it has blood and gore(ABACABB on the "code of honor" screen) as opposed to the SNES version, it has better graphics and music, but there is no blood or gore.
The goals of this movie are:
-Contains entertainment/speed trade offs.
-Takes damage to save time(blocking)
-Plays at hardest difficulty
-Abuses programing errors in the game

Notes

- The reason I miss with fireballs sometimes is luck manipulation, I do it to make them either duck or move a different way etc.
-Shang Tsung transforms if you jump or preform a special move or sometimes randomly. So for the last part of Round 1 and for Round 2, I roundhouse kick Shang Tsung to death.
-This Movie will NOT work with the following roms:
Mortal Kombat (W) (REV00) [p1][!].gen
Mortal Kombat (UE) (REV01) [c][!].gen
Cancelled due to no Reptile

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2272: kchrules's Genesis Mortal Kombat in 10:24.57
I'm going to have to vote no, the movie was uneventful and boring. Also this version isn't too pretty to look at or listen to. The "blood and gore" is just 4 little red blobs so I coulda lived without it.
Having played this game when I was younger, and then replaying it a few years ago, I realize just how boring this game actually is. As far as a TAS goes, I know there's only so much to work with, but I believe that there's more you can do with this video. Firstly, have you ever seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bp4-_3DIPo&feature=fvw It's a combo video of the first MK by the DarkTemplarz, who are well-known for their combo videos. I know this video show-cases the Arcade version of the game, but I believe some of these combos -- which by the way weren't really intended for this game -- can indeed be replicated in the Genesis version. Though I'm not sure how many. Here's another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLn-JLmxI0A This is a Genesis speedrun showing off combos and a few quirks with Raiden. A good example of an entertaining combo can be seen starting at 1:37. Now maybe it's just a character choice, but if such entertainment (ie. combo variety) isn't possible with Liu Kang, then perhaps another character? And as far as versions go, the Genesis version is easily the best. Graphics aren't too much different, and although SNES has better technical sound quality, the music is clearer and catchy, whereas in my opinion, the SNES version just sounds like a jumbled mess. I'll hold off voting for now, but I would strongly suggest at least checking out those videos and getting your opinion.
i didn't saw the movie yet but why not using the Snes MK1 ? (so it would be in continuity with the two other runs of the website )
shallow wrote:
Having played this game when I was younger, and then replaying it a few years ago, I realize just how boring this game actually is. As far as a TAS goes, I know there's only so much to work with, but I believe that there's more you can do with this video. ...
I've seen the second one, it was discussed in the MK topic in the Sega Genesis forum. It is played on easy since it is from a hard reset. I don't think a Mortal Kombat run on easy is very entertaining since you can just beat the living hell out of them and they wont do a thing. EDIT: I just tested it, Liu Kang can almost never pull off a combo.
Currently working on: -Possibly the Wily Tower (Mega Man the Wily Wars)
Player (70)
Will vote NO on this. Frame skipped most of it because of boredom I'm afraid. I still don't see any Reptile fight. Should still be done in the endurance fight.
Should have informed people about the run. Should I cancel it and make a new one (with discussion and WIPs)? or wait for it to get accepted?
Expert player (2582)
Sorry mate, but my vote is NO.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Former player
I have not watched yet, but I'm going to say that if you did NOT do the double flawless w/o blocking on the pit during an endurance round trick, then I'm voting ABSOLUTELY NO. thats a bug thats unique to the genesis version. So if you're going to pick this version, you need to take full advantage of its features. edit: ok, some pointers: 1) the flow of your matches goes flawless, flawless, flawless, no flawless?, flawless, flawless, flawless, flawless, etc. This is inconsistent and is out of place. "Taking damage to save time" sounds more like "messed up and didnt have a save state far enough back". Why are you saving time with blocking (in only 1 match) when the point of the run is entertainment first and time second? 2) you HAVE to fight reptile if you're going to do this run. This means you'll need to enter that cheat menu code and turn on flags 2 and 3. Then, just make sure you double flawless, dont block, and fatality on the pit. 3) you will also need to turtle the first match and lose on an interesting way. The way the maps flow, the last endurance match should be on the pit, but its in goro's lair because the match before goro is always in his lair. If you lose the very first match (or any match before the last endurance), the second endurance fight will be on the pit. Again, double flawless, dont block, fatality (with flags 2 and 3 on), and you will fight reptile. Except this reptile will be an endurance reptile, and the second one will look like sonya and has extremely glitched out graphics. This is a bug unique to the genesis version, and if youre going to do an entertainment MK1 run on genesis, THIS IS MANDATORY!
krieg747 wrote:
I have not watched yet, but I'm going to say that if you did NOT do the double flawless w/o blocking on the pit during an endurance round trick, then I'm voting ABSOLUTELY NO. thats a bug thats unique to the genesis version. So if you're going to pick this version, you need to take full advantage of its features. edit: ok, some pointers: 1) the flow of your matches goes flawless, flawless, flawless, no flawless?, flawless, flawless, flawless, flawless, etc. This is inconsistent and is out of place. "Taking damage to save time" sounds more like "messed up and didnt have a save state far enough back". Why are you saving time with blocking (in only 1 match) when the point of the run is entertainment first and time second? 2) you HAVE to fight reptile if you're going to do this run. This means you'll need to enter that cheat menu code and turn on flags 2 and 3. Then, just make sure you double flawless, dont block, and fatality on the pit. 3) you will also need to turtle the first match and lose on an interesting way. The way the maps flow, the last endurance match should be on the pit, but its in goro's lair because the match before goro is always in his lair. If you lose the very first match (or any match before the last endurance), the second endurance fight will be on the pit. Again, double flawless, dont block, fatality (with flags 2 and 3 on), and you will fight reptile. Except this reptile will be an endurance reptile, and the second one will look like sonya and has extremely glitched out graphics. This is a bug unique to the genesis version, and if youre going to do an entertainment MK1 run on genesis, THIS IS MANDATORY!
Alright I'll get to work on it Plus if I start out on the pit VIA dullard, I can get 3 pit matches
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!
Banned User
Hmm, this submission didn't last very long. Good luck optimizing for now and I can't wait to see the new one. :)