(Link to video)
A TAS of Takeshi no Chousenjou (たけし の 挑戦状, Takeshi's Challenge). This game is a cult classic among Japanese video gamers and finished first in Famitsu magazine's kusogē (クソゲー, crap game) ranking.
This TAS was made in FCEU v28, but works in FCEUX when converted.

Aims

• Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Sings karaoke
  • Violates common sense

About the game

Basically, it is an action-adventure game where "common sense is dangerous". It says so on the box. In order to beat the game (by reaching the treasure), you must do things like "sing" karaoke using the Famicom microphone, quit your job, divorce your wife, beat up people for apparently no reason at all, wait for at least 5 minutes looking at a blank piece of paper, go hang-gliding, and crouch in generic places to open up new places in a cave.
It is often claimed that it says on the title screen "This game is made by a man who hates video games", although the NES version's title screen does not say that. Maybe the Famicom version?

About the run

A Top 10 list (of ridiculously hard games) on GameFAQs introduced me to this game. I never bothered playing the game, but researched it and discovered a Youtube video that showcases a bug in the game that allows one to beat it in 5 minutes. I set out to make a TAS based on that video. The only thing holding me back was the karaoke singing, where I figured out that, when the microphone is not available, pressing Up+A on the second controller sets the second controller A button to sing.
The bug is a scroll glitch that allows you to go out of the normal boundary. To trigger this glitch, walk away from the boundary, then jump in the opposite direction just before it starts scrolling again. The airport is located near in memory to the treasure room, which is where you win the game. In order to go from the airport to the treasure room, the glitch must be used 3 times.
However, to win, a certain old man must be beaten up. Basically, address 0x5C3 is a flag indicating whether or not the old man has been beaten up. By introducing 3 NPC sprites, I managed to beat up the man without him going to the blank paper scenario.
To get the man to show up, you must first buy alcoholic drinks, drink twice but refuse a third, and confirm that you want to sing karaoke. Then you sing karaoke. You have to sing three times correctly (it's really wishy-washy, all you really need to do is get address 0x680 to be at least 61), then select the bottom option (quarrel), beat up some NPCs and wait for the old man.
In this run, the money for the drinks is obtained by crouching at the plant early in the game.
At the ending, if you wait long enough (about 4 minutes), a secret message pops up that translates as "Why take this game so seriously?"

mmbossman: It's raining people!! What a strange game, which would normally be pretty boring, but knowing a little bit of the history behind it makes it rather entertaining to watch. Accepting.

ccfreak2k: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2295: FractalFusion's NES Takeshi no Chousenjou in 03:53.58
Banned User
There's not much I can say about this run. In my book, glitches → yes vote. And also, random Japanese crap → yes vote. I wish I could vote yes twice.
Gone.
My brain got raped. sye evt!o11
Skilled player (1404)
Wait, what? I tried running this game myself about a year ago, but I couldn't get the Up+A trick to work for me so I dropped. Congratulations on being able to do something I couldn't! I think in one of my early attempts, when I didn't know you had to go to the karaoke bar, I handled the glitched zone a bit better than this. I'm not 100% sure since I copied over that movie, so I vote yes. Good job, and thank you for doing this. I can't understand how this game is a classic over in Japan land. An anti-classic maybe, but classic? Granted, the guy who made it WAS aiming for it to be on the verge of unplayable... Now I want to see a full run now that I know this is possible. No, everyone, you do not have to wait for an hour doing nothing (it's actually five minutes), nor do you have to punch something 20,000 times. Those are falsifications. Also, this was recorded using the 1990 version, but runs fine on the 1986 version.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Active player (432)
I am sorry but I find this game to be very dull, voting no.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Some people consider this the japanese Grand Theft Auto. This run loses points because you don't divorce your wife nor beat up your boss. Maybe a full run? The last boss has one million life points. Lol
No.
I think this deserves to be published alongside a 100% run, though the glitch here wasn't particularly interesting. Yes vote.
Active player (276)
[09:37:20] <Toothache> hmm I just watched that takeshi no chousenjou run [09:37:24] <Toothache> wtf did I just watch? [09:37:51] <Toothache> remind me never to watch a Fractal TAS first thing in the morning again lol After watching it again, its a yes vote from me, but its still a 9.0 on the wtf-o-meter game.
Emulator Coder
Another interesting game that's hard to understand, and obviously has some tricks to it. Voted yes, because it's obviously glitched to a quick end. Aside from the fact that it ended sooner than it normally would, I didn't have much of an idea what was happening.
Player (120)
That was an obscene glitch. Yes vote. (The latter half of the run would make a good screensaver)
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Skilled player (1670)
[00:37:35] <Cardboard> Hah! [00:37:38] <Cardboard> He's beating women! [00:37:54] <Cardboard> Haha this is Old Boy, the video game! Good enough to result in a yes-vote.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
The bar antics were pretty awesome. Beating up women, then jumping away into the corner like a sissy, waiting for an old guy to show up and taste your fist. Afterwards, you run away from the other men in the bar who probably would pose a fair fight. The glitching is pretty ridiculous. Maybe the player really has been hitting the bottle too hard at the bar? The glitches get a little old, but the game ends before it gets way too boring. Yes vote. By the way, would it make sense to use the subtitles in FCEUX to explain the Japanese, or maybe to explain some of the glitching? When I watched the Youtube video, the Youtube commentary was somewhat helpful, so I figure that subtitles could also be useful.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Skilled player (1636)
The glitch did get old, but not so bad that it shouldn't be published. This is one of those "What the hell? How did anyone ever figure that out?" type glitch. Yes vote.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Hilarious glitch in an otherwise intentionally bad game. A full TAS of this game would probably be painful to watch ..
Skilled player (1086)
I remember seeing this at the top of a top 10 hardest games ever list a while back and hoped someone would TAS it. This run doesn't do justice to the really random stuff this game has to offer, however a short run with a game breaking glitch was enough to secure my yes vote.
Former player
Perhaps if this run is published, there could be some translation of what's going on like in the Youkai Douchuuki AVI. Abstaining until I actually get a chance to watch this later.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1324] NES Takeshi no Chousenjou "warp glitch" by FractalFusion in 03:53.58
Skilled player (1404)
The Movie Description wrote:
Created by a Japanese comedian who hated video games, this game was meant to be near impossible to complete. The game forces the player to leave the controller untouched for 5-10 minutes, and fight a final boss with over 1 million hit-points.
First 20,000 hits, now over a million, for a boss that doesn't even exist. I'm quite impressed at this game's ability to spread all these untrue rumors about it. Hasn't happened with any other title I know of.* Note about the encode: It doesn't include Takeshi's final message which appears if you wait for five minutes on the ending screen. Not asking for a re-encode or anything, just making an observation for the curious. (all he says is basically, "Why so serious?") *This is not meant as a jab against whoever wrote this; I'm just amused that this game's reputation created such overblown exaggerations and then passed them off as fact.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Player (101)
My excitement for seeing this game added was quickly tempered by it being yet ANOTHER "glitch that skips over the entire game" run. Am I the only one who thinks this is the worst category of TASes?
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
in the wikipedia article :
Throwing 20,000 punches on the opening game screen will also take the player directly to the game's ending.
how much frame do a punch cost ?
Active player (277)
How much do you trust Wikipedia? (And did you notice that the entire movie was less than 20000 frames anyway?)
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
(And did you notice that the entire movie was less than 20000 frames anyway?)
good point >.>
Former player
This game fucking rocks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgtQgkS8Nps&feature=related Check that link out. Its quite awesome.
Change my sig. again, and I will murder your pet fish.
Someone should do a 100% completion run. It should take a bit over 1 hr 5 min.
Ferret Warlord wrote:
First 20,000 hits, now over a million, for a boss that doesn't even exist. I'm quite impressed at this game's ability to spread all these untrue rumors about it. Hasn't happened with any other title I know of.* [...] *This is not meant as a jab against whoever wrote this; I'm just amused that this game's reputation created such overblown exaggerations and then passed them off as fact.
Haha, I heard you have to sing for two hours and have to look at the blank paper for NINE hours (maybe, it said ninety I'm not sure) and then immediately do sth.