Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Emulator: FCEUX2.1.0a (actually the latest SVN of 2.1.1-interim)
  • Category: Sidestroller (Avoid pressing B)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
This is an improvement to HappyLee's latest submitted sidestroller movie.
It is 11 frames faster measuring from touching the axe. Input ends at touching the axe just as in HappyLee's submission.
The improvement comes from a slightly different approach to entering the pipe that leads to the water section in level 8-4. Instead of taking damage, the piranha plant is manipulated so that it will not emerge.
Taking damage seemed like it wasted an awful lot of time, so I fiddled with the idea to avoid taking damage. I managed to save a few frames and adelikat helped to optimize it even further.
Thanks to HappyLee for his initial improvements and klmz for testing out a few other approaches for improvement.
And apologies to Happy Lee.
Enjoy!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Lol adelikat, I knew you were working on it all along.
Experienced player (822)
For those of us keeping score at home, but too lazy to do the comparisons ourselves, how much faster is this than the published movie?
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Experienced player (576)
Is this the 6th TAS in this war? Anyway, nice improvement, looking forward to more. =D
mmbossman wrote:
For those of us keeping score at home, but too lazy to do the comparisons ourselves, how much faster is this than the published movie?
The published run is 6:51.03; this one is 6:47.38. Even if the currently-published run ends its input earlier than this run does, that's still an improvement of at least 3.65s, or about 109 frames.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
And the struggle to optimize an April Fool's Day joke submission continues. I'm waiting for someone else to casually jump in and beat everyone else, to be honest. Edit: I think I'll throw in a vote this time. Voted Meh. Not like it matters, since the next submission's going to come tomorrow anyway, but I'm trying to be honest with it.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
No vote, because I am too lazy to bother spending another 6 minutes of my life. ^^
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!