Submission Text Full Submission Page
Circus Charlie TAS by Sergio89
This run improves the published run by 10 frames. More information on this can be found under the respective level's comments.
Objetives
  • Emulator used: FCEUX 2.1.1
  • Aims for fastest possible time.
  • Manipulates luck.
  • Plays at hardest level
  • Genre: Platform
Game description:
Circus Charlie is a very simple game, very easy with 5 levels (depending on which difficulty you want). You must defeat a level of advancement, avoiding obstacles and objects in the road, and finally a jump on the pedestal to the next level. You also get points by jumping through rings of fire, jumping over circus balls, etc.
Time table
Stagetime
1 3420
2 3560
3 3750
4 3850
5 4320
Enjoy

mmbossman: Rejecting for being slower than this submission, which uses the same mode as this movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2490: sergio89's NES Circus Charlie in 03:23.95
Player (116)
Everytime someone jumps through a ring of fire in this game it reminds me of the Johnny Cash song. yes vote. cause i liked the run. I also liked the Johnny cash song. but that has nothing to do with why i'm voting yes on this song.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
No vote. This cancelled submission is 27 frames faster and achieves a time of 3870 in stage 4 (even if it does worse by an equivalent amount in stage 5). While I try to encourage new runners as much as the next guy, please do the research first before coming to the submission queue. It'll save everyone much hassle.
Former player
Why do two runs from two separate authors have such similar submission texts/markups? I'm just curious, I guess.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Publisher
Zurreco wrote:
Why do two runs from two separate authors have such similar submission texts/markups? I'm just curious, I guess.
The second person probably was lazy and copied the first person and edited it? XD
Skilled player (1885)
sgrunt wrote:
No vote. This cancelled submission is 27 frames faster and achieves a time of 3870 in stage 4 (even if it does worse by an equivalent amount in stage 5). While I try to encourage new runners as much as the next guy, please do the research first before coming to the submission queue. It'll save everyone much hassle.
I agree with all this. I think it's great to see new TASers enter the stage, and even greater that they TAS a game I TASed. Still, I think it's a little sad when they don't make sure that it's faster than existing runs, even when those have been brought to light in axelito's CC thread. I apoligize in advance if I sound a bit harsh here, it's not my intention, but I want to make a few things clear: Basically, I want to bring up these points, and this goes both to the author and anyone else who is, or is going to, make a Circus Charlie submission: 1. You should not compare this game B run to the published run (not that you do, this goes to anyone who wants to compare this to the published run in terms of completion time), just like I didn't compare my game B run to Phil's run, simply because they play two different modes in the game. It doesn't matter if it's faster or slower than the published run, what this run should be compared to are other game B runs, and in that light, it's actually slower than some existing runs. 2. If you are going to do a game B run, I strongly recommend that you start a topic about it in the NES forum so we can discuss it in more detail. Having TASed both game A and game B, my opinion is that even if game B might be harder to play, it's easier to TAS than game A and I don't think it makes for a much more entertaining run. On the other hand, it's not less entertaining. If a game B run is to obsolete the published run, I think it should be of the same technical quality. 3. If you are going to make a game B run, make sure that it is at least equally fast, in terms of frames, as this run. Do not compare it using the in-game timer, since that is very inaccurate. I belive that that run can be improved further, in particular stage 1, but I wouldn't be too surprised if a few more frames can be saved. Here are the comparisons between this run and this run: *This run starts stage 1 3 frames slower. *Your stage 1 is 7 frames slower. *Your stage 2 is equally fast as mine. *Your stage 3 is equally fast as mine. *Your stage 4 is 37 frames slower. *Your stage 5 is 19 frames faster. Nice job on stage 5! However, in order for me to vote yes on a Circus Charlie game B run these conditions must be met: *The community has come to an agreement that a game B run will obsolete a game A run. *It must be at least as fast as this run on all levels, except perhaps stage 3, where bad RNG can cause you to lose frames. In that case, you should carefully explain why you lost frames, and why it's not faster to wait to manipulate the RNG timer. If you incorporate your stage 5 strategy and get at least as fast times as my old run, you might have something. :) I vote no on this one, and please, I urge you to discuss this game B vs game A issue in the NES forum before submitting. I don't want to see a third Circus Charlie submission in the workbench if it doesn't actually improve this run in terms of frames, and not the in-game timer. If we suddenly go for fastest in-game time in this game, you can make a run that finishes with 5000 bonus left after each level by pausing every 16 frames.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!