Post subject: Doom 3 Speedrun?
:x ...wonder how long it'll be till someone finally makes one...
Former player
not too long. doom 3 is a remake of doom 1, so a lot of people have already memorised a few of the levels based on their relation to the old maps. i think itll take maybe 2 to 4 weeks
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
I was ganna make a forum like this. I would love to see a speed run of Doom 3. By the way, I'm new here. Laterz
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
doom 3 is a remake of doom1????? how does that make it good enough to compete with the new unreal? they nuts? i mean, it's good but doom 1 is not that different. it's a fps shooter. if they took a 2d game and make a fps shooter remake of it, ok... w/e
Former player
all they did was make a new graphics model and a 'new' physics model for it. thats it. and they might have added a few nifty things like guardrails or hanging pipes.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
I've played Doom I and Doom 3 and they are nothing alike. Even if u would have memorized every single pixel in Doom I it wouldn't help u at all in Doom 3 imo.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Zurreco, you're talking out of your nether regions. The levels, monsters and weapons are not the same in Doom 1 and 3. The only thing they kept is the storyline. That is, Doom 3 does not happen after 1 and 2, it has the same story as 1. Probably Doom3 isn't very speed-running friendly. Haven't played it yet though.
Player (67)
No, Doom 3 is very un-speedrun-friendly. Normally you walk dreadfully slow. You can dash, but you have very limited stamina. But I'm sure it will be speedrunned anyway, it's just a matter of time. There might be a few nifty shortcuts but I don't think there are many because there's no rocket/grenade jumping. But I can forsee monster-cannoning, that is letting monsters run into you and getting a boost from that, because some of them really seem to be able to throw you a great distance. So anyone want to make bets on how long it'll be? I say it'll be 2 hours long.
doom 3 is'nt a remake of doom 1. personaly i like to think of it as non offical sequal to doom 2. i say this because there comes a time in the game where you walk through a lab where you see all the remains of "old monsters that came through the teleporters during the previous tests" this alone tells me that it follows the normal doom story line, as you see revanents and arch-viles in staisus chambers. neither of these monsters were in doom 1, only in doom 2. i think what they tryed to do with doom 3 is retell both doom 1 and 2 together and add a damn good storyline to it. as for a speed run, i doubt we will see one anytime soon. unless someone is willing to video themselves do this, doom 3 is VERY unfriendly for any screen capturing tool. anyway, so far i am at 26+ hours of playing on medium difficulty and i hav'nt finished it yet. i think i'm close but i'm not sure. all up for someone who knows exactly what to do i'd say mabye around 3 - 4 hours to finish as there is a fair amount of back tracking. also as for the weapons not being the same as in doom 1, you obviously hav'nt played doom 1 in awhile. nearly EVERY single weapon is found in both dooms. chainsaw fists pistol shotgun chaingun rocket launcher plasma gun bfg 9000 (just bfg back in the doom 1 and 2 days) only diffrence is that there is a machine gun, grenades and a soul cube.
naw, in doom 1 and 2 is was also BFG 9000. The only differences in weapons is that they took out doom 2's super shotgun and replaced it with a p90, added grenades, and added a soulcube. For monsters, there were sill pistol zombie, shotgun zombie, chaingun zombie, imp, "demon" (the beasts with tiny metal legs), lost soul, cacodemon, hell knight, revenant, mancubus, arch vile, and the cyberdemon. No pain elemental, baron of hell, arachnotron, specters, or spider mastermind. Of course there were a few new monsters but I don't know the name of most of them.
like the 2 headed imps with no fireball attack, the teleporting blades for arms bastard who always sneaks up behind you, spiders, those annoying as hell baby/fly/mosquito things, riot shield + pistol zombie. i expect there to be a expansion pack for doom 3 that adds the double barrel shotgun, a few new weapons and all the above monsters that were'nt in and some new ones. perhaps retelling the doom 2 story when the invasion hit earth? i think this would be great, specialy with this new engine. i would love to see a huge city doom 3 style.
I highly doubt there will be an expansion. Also: spoilers (not sure if this really counts as one, but eh)
Dark Mana wrote:
perhaps retelling the doom 2 story when the invasion hit earth?
The invasion was prevented in Doom 3 when you kill the cyberdemon and the soul cube seals off hell, so why would there be an expansion with an invasion of Earth?
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Dark Mana: >also as for the weapons not being the same as in doom 1, you obviously hav'nt played doom 1 in awhile. As I said, it's Doom 3 I haven't played yet. (It would be the world's most beautiful slideshow on my computer.) I know most things knowable about Doom 1. :) I never said there weren't identical weapons in 1 and 3, I only said that they are different. Having played Doom 1 probably doesn't make Doom 3 any more easy than having played any other FPS does. Locke: >The invasion was prevented in Doom 3 when you kill the cyberdemon and the soul cube seals off hell, so why would there be an expansion with an invasion of Earth? Well, killing the Spider Mastermind in Doom 1 was supposed to have stopped the critters too, but we all know what happened then. >:)
your prolly right about there not being an expansion pack for doom 3 but then again nearly every single ID game has had an expansion pack since quake onward, so it might happen. also i'm sure ID could come up with some way for the deamons to reopen the portal of hell, only this time invading earth. if betruger could open the portal of hell (it WAS him who started all this was'nt it? i hav'nt finished it just yet so i dont know how it ends) whos to say that someone else could'nt reopen the portal? how about this storyline to keep the doom saga going? 5 - 10 years after the incident, the UAC are still doing research on teleporting on mars and have almost got it working. the old base has been rebuilt partialy (thus giving new areas) and is functioning as normal again. the UAC has also expanded their research into how the 2 invasions have happened, and what exactly caused them. your now head of security/in charge of the base. you get called down to the teleporter room to see a new test (say for arguements sake, a dead deamon's body being teleported through to the next room). the test goes ahead and half way through, hell decides it does'nt like people playing with its spawn and overcharges the teleporter, the gate reopens/causes the teleporter to act as a new hell portal and sucks the whole planet through. you have to try and get back to earth. that story works for me. this way the spidermind and all the missing monsters could be introducted along with some new ones, some new weapons could be added too. and yes, killing the spidermind was supposed to halt the invasion of earth and yet in doom 2 the invasion still happened. this shows that doom does'nt really have to follow the storyline set in the previous game. hey also something that bugged the hell out of me, (this is totaly off track lol) what was the monster that you fought in that cave, that big spider looking thing?. this really looked like a Vore to me from quake. perhaps a little easter egg without totaly being obvious?
"nearly every single ID game has had an expansion pack since quake onward" well, I don't remember any for wolfenstein 3d, doom had "thy flesh consumed", don't remember any for doom2, Final Doom I know very little about. Actually, I know nothing about it. I never really played it. I don't remember expansions for Quake, Quake2, or Quake3. (Team Arena hardly counts as an expansion), and I don't know of any for Return to Castle Wolfenstein. (Enemy Territory doesn't really count, since there's no single player. It's basically just a free MP version of RtCW with some changes)
i know wolfenstein had no expansion pack. thats why i said, since quake onward. quake 1 - scourge of armagon and dissoloutions of eternity quake 2 - ground zero and the reckoning quake 3 - team arena, yes this does count as an official expansion pack. return to castle wolfenstein - i'd call this a partial expansion pack. it was cancel half way through production and turned into a free download. so yes, every game since quake has had an expansion pack or 2
scourge of armagon and dissolutions of eternity were mission packs. Ground Zero and The Reckoning are also mission packs. Team Arena as I recall was a standalone game that didn't need quake3 to run. Expansions are meant to add to or continue the story from the original game. Mission packs are meant for fun. Team Arena, like Quake 3 had no story and was meant purely for multiplayer. If you want good examples of expansion packs, every blizzard game has one except warcraft 1. Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Diablo: Hellfire (Although this was a 3rd party expansion made by Sierra, and not officially supported by Blizzard) Diablo II: Lord of Destruction Starcraft: Brood War All of those added to or continued the single player story.
Former player
Wolfenstein 3D had an expansion... I don't remember the name but it focused on the Lance of Longinus and had a lot of new graphics.
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
Former player
Wolfenstein 3D had a sequel called Spear of Destiny, which takes place before the Wolfenstein 3D story. Lance of Longinus is another name for the Spear of Destiny.
Former player
Yeah, that's it.
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
This is true. Although more of a prequel than a sequel if we go by story.
Post subject: wolfenstein 3d was a sequel
Wolfenstein 3d was a sequel itself... It was a sequel to Castle Wolfenstein made in 1983... That's why it was called wolfenstein 3d...[/url]
Quietust
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Locke wrote:
Team Arena as I recall was a standalone game that didn't need quake3 to run.
You recall incorrectly - Team Arena literally installs as a mod named 'missionpack'.
* Quietust, QMT Productions P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another
Wolfenstein 3d wasn't really a sequel to it. It was a completely different game that was just inspired by Castle Wolfenstein. Also, I forgot to ask this earlier, but wasn't Spear of Destiny also just another game in Id's Wolfenstein series and not an actual expansion?
far as i know spear of destiny was really wolfenstein 3d 2. it was a stand alone game not a mission pack or expansion pack. as for mission packs, they are really just expansion packs without the added storyline. you still need the full game, it still adds new weapons/monsters/levels so to me that is an expansion pack. an exp pack for doom 3 would still kick ass