Submission Text Full Submission Page
The final chapter of The Guardian Legend takes place here, as our protagonist leaves NAJU in a damatic fashion! Using all her skill Sitting back and letting her sub-weapons do the work with glitched defense and CHIPS, the Guardian must escape alive, fighting the horrors that once stood in her way.
The input file itself is 199 frames long. However, I depend on the auto-hold feature to carry me the rest of the way. The ending music loops one more at around frame 28642 with the New PPU, so for those who care, the media/input movie lengths ratio is around 144. Should be a record.
  • FCEUX 2.1.2 or later
    • Use the New PPU! Config -> PPU -> New PPU
  • Set player one's "A" on auto-hold
    • Config -> Input... - Play around with Auto-Hold!
  • Now watch the movie

The almighty password!

AAAA AAAA  AAQC KNAA
AAAA AAAA  cPPA AcWk
The above password has the following (important) stats:
  • 0 SHIELD. A glitch or debug value.
  • Enough Life to survive everything
  • Completed the 10 main corridors
  • 32768 CHIPs (displays 9999)
  • A specific sub-weapon at level 3
  • Score has to be just right...
Yes, I leave in blank spaces because I'm too lazy to bother filling them in. The game itself doesn't seem to care -- It's also too lazy to read the darn thing anyway.
Either that, or use the more logical explanation that spaces acts exactly as though I put the capital letter A in there. Hence why leaving in blank spaces even work.

Password Details

The effects of having 0 SHIELD divides all incoming damage by 32 and sets your base attack power to 64. Normally, the maximum SHIELD you should get is 7, which divides incoming damage by 7 and doesn't actually affect your attack power. By the way, with 4 ATTACK, your base attack power is 5, but 0 SHIELD ignores ATTACK and substitutes the number 64. Damage to bosses cap at 5 per hit, so this 64 power hardly matters.
While I could start with something like 1 or 2 Life, it won't be enough to survive being hit by the various things. I need at least enough so that colliding with bosses don't end the run prematurely.
All the main corridors need to be completed before the final one, Corridor 21, shows up. I set the password so that Corridors 1 through 10 are already done. It really cuts down on all that time spent in corridors.
Yes, passwords have the power to place you in any room, not just save rooms. This fact is very much abused in order to cut down on the travel time to Corridor 21. That is, make sure I'm already in the very room I need to be in.
While the game allows picking up 10 CHIP power-ups, to a maximum of 6000 CHIPS, that counts for 11 different values. With 4 bits, there's 16 possibilities, meaning there's 5 "glitch" values. Three of those have somewhere over 30000 CHIPS. I need at least that many CHIPS if I plan to let the auto-held sub-weapon last long enough for victory to happen.
The sub-weapon of choice is the highly expensive homing orbs of doom. At 120 CHIPS per second, they fly around the screen at an insane pace, helping to clear out bosses in a timely manner. The perfect "hands-free" weapon for when my movie stops for the auto-hold to take over.
As for the score... Well, I have to set it to that exact value. It makes the entire run precisely one-thousand, three-hundred, thirty-seven times as stylish as a run without that score value. I mean, seriously! You'll agree once you see the run using New PPU!

About the run

Just like the King's Bounty submission, I will explain every frame, considering how short this run is.
 Frame  - Btn
  0- 22 - nil            Waiting for game to load
  23    - Start          To begin
 24- 28 - nil            Transition to next menu
  29    - Select         Move cursor
  30    - Start          Confirm option: PASSWORD CONTINUE
 31- 78 - nil            Transition to password screen
 79-139 = ???            Password input
140-179 - nil            Waiting for room to load
 180    - Up
 181    - Up
 182    - Up             These ups are to position
 183    - Up             the Guardian for gate.
 184    - Up
 185    - Up
 186    - Select         Open menu
187-197 - nil            Loading the menu, please wait
 198    - Down           Move cursor
 199    - Right + Start  Move cursor + exit menu; End movie
From this point on, I let the auto-held A button do its thing. Strictly speaking, no further changes in input is required. All one is doing is setting up the emulator to play the movie properly. Even if said set-up holds down a button, it's still a feature of the emulator. After all, the input no longer changes after the movie ends.
This game works differently between Old PPU and New PPU. In spite of that, this movie still completes this game in either old or new! Such a stable movie! However, the New PPU is more dramatic, and is quite strongly recommended.
You get to see me fly through the final corridor... Or rather the auto-hold fly through it. The effect of the indefinitely held A button is to keep the sub-weapon working when those dancing orbs fly off-screen.
Those dancing orbs slay all my foes with great ease. Fueled by my seemingly endless supply of CHIPS, no foe lives long enough to outlast my sub-weapon. Then the exploding sequence takes place as I fly safely home through space... Or do I? One more boss makes an appearance, and my CHIPS aren't 9999 anymore. The auto-hold can't guide the Guardian, so all hope rests soley on the sub-weapon doing its job! So the question is, will the sub-weapon defeat the final boss, or will I run out of CHIPS first? Only time can tell!

Reasons why this should be accepted:

• Provides an interesting detail of the game: An absurd password
  • Freakishly short input movie with plenty of gameplay
  • Demonstrates a well-timed event (in New PPU) long after the input file ends
  • Actaully does reach the ending!
  • No external cheats or modifications to the game. Just like a real TAS!

Reasons why this could be unacceptable:

• The Guardian blows up humiliatingly against the first boss with null input following the movie
  • Does not demonstrate super-human reflexes in gameplay
  • Uses a password to access otherwise impossible values
  • Fails to reveal the ENTIRE ending (won't show PASSWORD TGL in there)
  • Is an April Fools' submission

Final thoughts

Seeing as I already put down a rather convincing argument why this could be unacceptable, especially the dependency on auto-hold and the lack of super-human gameplay, I expect a home in Grue-food. Hence the submission on April Fools'.
Technically, the input no longer changes after the movie ends. There is an indefinitely held button, but this fact does not ever change when I release control. Did I break a rule doing this?
Practically, the player does nothing after I release input, other than keeping the dancing orbs going. But other than that, there is no insanely accurate shots or precise movements taking place. Sure, these colorful orbs zip around, but that's the weapon itself. Did I break the spirit of a TAS by not acting in a super-human manner?
Regardless, don't let my thoughts get in your way of judging this submission. Surprises happen. I'm not expecting this run to get published, but it's still a fun demonstration!
As a note, I edited the rerecord count to 60. I had earlier versions trying to work out the password stuff, so I added those rerecords in. This version had a rerecord count of 1 before this edit.
As for suggested screenshot... Uh, frame 137? 182? 199? There aren't a lot of possibilities one can pick...

FractalFusion: Though a novel concept, it doesn't make a strong case for itself. The choice of autoholding A after the movie is arbitrary and undermines the idea that the input ends after 3 seconds, when, in fact, input really goes on for 5-6 minutes.
As for the movie itself, it's mostly boring and the "twist ending" is not obvious to a casual viewer (though the score may be a tip-off but you still need to know why). It is not known whether giving it actual input during the levels would be interesting. In any case, I'm rejecting this submission.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2614: FatRatKnight's NES The Guardian Legend "Password" in 00:03.31
Expert player (2582)
I voted no because it's still March 31 here in Brazil.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Editor, Skilled player (1939)
Nice concept, but the rest of the movie is quite boring, unfortunately. That's how it is. Also, I don't get the score thing.
Editor, Skilled player (1172)
FractalFusion wrote:
Also, I don't get the score thing.
If I didn't have the right score, the twist ending wouldn't happen. Recall that there are games that gives score a useful function, at specific intervals or values. This is one of those games. I hit 2000000 points. TGL adds +1 max life, and fully restores life and CHIPs. I want the CHIPs in a dramatic manner. ... It's difficult explaining it without giving away the whole reason for the score before one views this run. I want to avoid spoilers! On the other hand, there is that nifty spoilers tag I could use...
Until I saw the completion time, I had hoped an empty little hope that this was a real submission. I've always wanted a real Guardian Legend run. Voting meh because the run is somewhat entertaining and because I just can't say no to TGL.
Thanks for the encode, FractalFusion! I must say, I quite enjoyed the ending. Nice work there. Speaking seriously, I don't agree with your take on "end of input" - when input ends, there should be no buttons pressed. The notional "player" should be able to just drop the controller on the floor (no casually trying to wedge any buttons down!) and let the game play out to its conclusion on its own. And of course you skipped 98% of the game.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Limne
Any
Ha, I love it... This was truly ridiculous besides being a neat little demonstration. It's fair to say it's a tad repetitive, maybe even a tad boring, but in my opinion, not nearly as bad as all these god damned Genesis platformers...
I enjoyed it but it was kinda boring. I did love the whole 3 second input then beating it whilest the A button was taped down, but one weapon runs get kinda old, espically when the player doesn't move. (It's probably me though, I kinda hate hiding in the corner with the chaingun in DooM) But I do love TGL, and we don't have a run yet, so I'd love to see one get done. Thus Yes vote from me.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Awesome twist at the end! Although that auto-hold feature seems way too artificial. Answering Yes to "Did you like it" and No to "Should this movie be published".
This is a very interesting idea! However, if you still have to press any button, I don't consider that as "end of input". You're still doing something to the input. Aside from this, most of the movie is pretty boring. If there's a category for "concept" runs, I would vote YES for it. Otherwise, I am voting no.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
This started as funny, when enemies were getting easily torn to bits. Then it got a little more boring. Then the final stage was hair-raising again, and then the ending happens and my jaw is on the floor. For being 3 seconds of input, there are quite amusing consequences indeed. I wholeheartedly vote Yes for this to go into concept demos. Also, by the way, I don't think this is a record holder for game time vs. input time. I think Barney's Hide And Seek still beats this :-) And that run is also a 9-game run! Edit: In fact, can't people also do this run quite easily on a normal console, given that they input the password correctly? All you need, it seems, is enough patience to hold the A button.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Derakon wrote:
Speaking seriously, I don't agree with your take on "end of input" - when input ends, there should be no buttons pressed. The notional "player" should be able to just drop the controller on the floor (no casually trying to wedge any buttons down!) and let the game play out to its conclusion on its own.
I agree with you, in the fact I don't agree with my own take of when "input" should end. Part of the reason is that someone could take, say, one of the published movies here, shave off the last frame or two, then put in a note to put certain buttons on auto-hold. Mainly, I just wanted to try a crazy concept that allows for a ridiculously short input file length. I don't believe this concept I'm trying out, let the auto-hold finish, should ever be a standard, no matter how many minutes this shaves off. Again, I'm trying out the concept due to the fact I'm able to give a scant few seconds of movie for minutes of gameplay.
minglw wrote:
However, if you still have to press any button, I don't consider that as "end of input". You're still doing something to the input.
By that logic, then technically, since the auto-hold never ends, this movie's length is infinite. Which is likely a record time of all movies here. ... Unless you don't count the ending, where further input is almost meaningless.
mklip2001 wrote:
Edit: In fact, can't people also do this run quite easily on a normal console, given that they input the password correctly? All you need, it seems, is enough patience to hold the A button.
The unassisted person can also do this quite easily, albeit with the slower password input and menu transitions. As far as reaching the ending is concerned, this particular TAS has no real advantage over a console runner. However, there is luck involved in getting that beautiful twist ending. Set Old PPU or even delay my final start button press by a frame, and you'll get a much less impressive result. The console runner will have difficulties mimicking my wonderful ending. Although, this implies that I could very well have made attempts at manipulating luck and adjust my score enough so that I hit 0 life or close to it and still win, but this would likely extend the input file length.
Limne
Any
Twist ending? I didn't see from the encode...
You didn't notice him run out of chips and come close to dying before increasing his score enough to get a full restore?
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Maybe if it was 1 frame away from dying, it would have been more obvious.
Limne
Any
Ah! That's brilliant! I didn't even notice because I was watching the sprites and not paying attention to the UI at all. I just assumed that it was some power-up or something, though I was wondering why they couldn't fire at all for that stretch of time... I need to play this game some more, despite how stupidly hard it is.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!
Hmm. Rejected. One reason I didn't have a strong case why the auto-hold should be allowed is because I also believe a movie shouldn't depend on a default button state other than null. Like what's said here, just dropping the controller and letting things happen without wedging buttons down would be when the movie should stop. Mainly, I was curious what the reaction would be for a novel concept where I do cause a well-timed event with nothing more than several straight minutes of a button wedged down after a short 3-second bit of input. Enjoyable to some, but I just couldn't see how this would fit within the standards here. Because of my belief that it won't work out with the standards here, I naturally picked a certain day to submit this. This movie has been sitting in my computer for around half a year.
Publisher
I actually did enjoy it though as many people said, it did get a bit boring. I did notice something. In the submission text, you said this: "Fails to reveal the ENTIRE ending (won't show PASSWORD TGL in there) " It does show the password, you just need to wait a while (or fast forward). I found this out when playing around to see the differences between new and old PPU.
Aktan wrote:
It does show the password, you just need to wait a while (or fast forward). I found this out when playing around to see the differences between new and old PPU.
That... Shouldn't be possible. From what I know, the game requires a button press (start) before it will ever display the secret password. Just in case, I ran the emulator out to somewhere past frame 100000 with A still held down, and never saw the password show up. This was in New PPU. Only when I hit start do I see this message. So now I ask, did you press buttons at the ending, either accidentally or just playing around? I wish to confirm.
Publisher
FatRatKnight wrote:
That... Shouldn't be possible. From what I know, the game requires a button press (start) before it will ever display the secret password. Just in case, I ran the emulator out to somewhere past frame 100000 with A still held down, and never saw the password show up. This was in New PPU. Only when I hit start do I see this message. So now I ask, did you press buttons at the ending, either accidentally or just playing around? I wish to confirm.
My bad, you are indeed right. I tried again with both PPU and yep, it doesn't show.