Salary Man Champ is a Japanese game made by Konami. This fun filled minigame fest is a journey through the life of a salary man, as he strives to be the pinnacle of Japanese society and climbs the corporate staircase.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: PCSX-RR v0.1.2
  • Aims for fastest time

Comments

I don't understand this game, but I've been told that it's really funny for Japanese people. What is funny for the rest of us is that there is an emulator bug where the game stops receiving input for several seconds. See if you can find this bug!

Reasons why this TAS should be accepted

• Japanese people may find it very funny.
  • There is no N64 version of this game.
  • It's very optimized.

Reasons why it could be unacceptable

• There is a very ugly emulation bug.
  • There might be a more entertaining setting if someone knows Japanese.
That's all. Thanks to FatRatKnight for making some nice "Author's comments" for his submission of The Guardian Legend.

adelikat: We usually prefer a high % of yes votes to be considered a strong viewer response so this was kind of borderline. Having said that, the response was good enough, and a number of people seem to be enthusiastic about this TAS (for whatever reason). I'll accept it.
sgrunt: Encode on the way (thanks to some modifications of alternative capture software which turn out to work well).
Spikestuff: Sync Note: For those figuring out the bios it's SCPH1001.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2618: mz's PSX Salary Man Champ: Tatakau Salary Man in 18:09.80
Active player (292)
I enjoyed it but It didn't look like anything you did really made the game end faster
mz
Player (79)
I've uploaded the video to YouTube in two parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exuPqoe3VyY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIWDOvYF79c
errror1 wrote:
It didn't look like anything you did really made the game end faster
Most stages have individual times where one can easily compare. And, in most minigames, the computer players act faster or slower depending on how fast you are, so that's the most important factor for making the game end faster. Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Post subject: Re: #2618: mz's PSX Salary Man Champ - Tatakau Salary Man in 18:09.8
Experienced player (954)
mz wrote:
See if you can find this bug!
While drinking milk ? Also, you could have input tasvideos.org as your name at the end for style :p
Editor
Those wacky Japanese, even parodying themself. It's a fun game, so yes vote here.
Limne
Any
Yes for the part where they have to escape the okama kisses. And for all the other Japanese gay jokes.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Wow... that's really all I have to say. I wish I knew a little bit of what was actually going on, but this was pretty funny. This reminds me of the WarioWare submission from a ways back... that submission didn't get accepted, but then again, that game was a lot longer than this one and a bit more repetitive. For what it's worth, Yes vote. Oh, at first, I thought this game was going to be Incredible Crisis. mz, you might like making a run for that ridiculous game :-) There's even an American version, though Wikipedia says a couple games were removed from it.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor, Active player (296)
Wow. This game is amazing. A. For its "Japanese are crazy" factor. B. Because it quite well reflects the mindset one gets after being tired at work. The stage that started at 2:30 spoke words. C. There's a Finnish flag there! D. Does the サラリーマンチャンプ title have a part of the Mandelbrot fractal on its background? Maybe not, it may just be a regular lightning art...
This game is so weird... ._.; I loved every second of it! xD Yes vote!
Active player (432)
Hahaha! What an interesting and funny game. Good game choice mz, superduper yessy vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Skilled player (1636)
I chose yes, it is a good movie. However, an improved movie would use at least two players, as many of the mini-games end when 2 out of the 3 finish. 3 players could lead to funny antics, as well.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Former player
This movie was bizarre, but mostly entertaining. So I'm inclined to vote yes! I also agree with DarkKobold, 2 or 3 player run would probably be more entertaining.
Limne
Any
Three players wouldn't leave room enough to watch the AI get creamed. I think that individual in-game times for the player are a better measure of speed in games like this but I'd be happy to see a two player run for possible play-around opportunities.
Former player
This game gives some odd first-glance interpretations of what the Japenese are meant to accept/avoid. Otherwise, while I don't think that the level of gameplay is staggering or anything, the entertainment factor is usually fairly high. I couldn't care less about how fast you can mash during an eating test or something, but watching the results of victory for you versus failure for others is always great. I'm giving this a really weak Yes vote. I feel like a lot of the greatness of this run only comes from the fact that a lot of people haven't seen what this game can offer (content wise) due to its obscurity. Oh well.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
This is extremely difficult to follow. Normally I'd think this is a good thing, but as far as I can tell the entire point of this game is to win at a series of largely trivial minigames. To me, this is not at all impressive to watch if not downright confusing (and not in a "what the heck just happened?" fashion so much as a "why am I watching this?" fashion). I vote no.
I couldn't even sit through half the first youtube video. Gotta vote no.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
I'm almost certain I saw this in an arcade while I was in Japan... A weak yes. Mini-game collections don't really make great TASs, but this one amused me nonetheless.
I felt sometimes a bit lost while watching this run, but I admit I had fun watching it. It seems a good and fresh addition to the site. And I agree with DarkKobold, a 2-player run would IMO offer more opportunities.
I too think that two-player mode would be faster.
No.
Experienced player (822)
It was very weird, but not in an entertaining way for me. It was basically a WarioWare game with humor that I didn't understand. Voting no.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Active player (405)
I'm voting no. I just don't understand the point to TASing this. You complete all your tasks super-fast but the computer opponents slow everything down. I know that you manipulated them into going faster but it still doesn't make it entertaining for me.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Heisanevilgenius wrote:
I'm voting no. I just don't understand the point to TASing this. You complete all your tasks super-fast but the computer opponents slow everything down. I know that you manipulated them into going faster but it still doesn't make it entertaining for me.
OK, thank you for reading my mind and posting it here.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
gia
Player (109)
I enjoyed it, description should describe what each minigame is supposed to represent, there are a couple I didn't get. Or a link to a FAQ, that would help.
I'm going to have to vote no on this. With a game like this, there are two things you need to understand. First, you need to understand what exactly is going on in each minigame. For some of them, that's pretty easy. But you also need to understand the culture/humor behind it as well. Not understanding the latter can really hamper the understanding of the former. For example, I can understand in that one minigame that you're running away from a "woman" and you need to move to avoid the kisses. But what I don't understand is why the woman looks like that. Is that actually a man? If so, why is a man dressed as a woman trying to kiss these 3 men? If not, why does that woman look like a man dressed as a woman? Is there supposed to be some joke that all the Japanese would understand in this? I don't know and that really makes the run overall less enjoyable to watch. Another example is the minigame where you have to work when the boss is looking, and play around when the other "thing" looks in on you. First of all, what is that other "thing" looking in on you? Is it supposed to be funny? I don't get it! All the culture and humor aside, there are still some minigames I just don't understand. Like the one with the guy and the 3 buttons. Even if the movie description explained what was being said during this game, it still wouldn't make the minigame any more fun to watch.
Player (70)
Going for a YES-vote on this one. Weird game, and I found it entertaining.