* Allow Left+Right / Up+Down 
This Run Aims For:
   * All items collection
   * Aiming for lowest in-game timer
   * Manipulates Luck
   * Takes damage to save time
   * Abuses programming errors 
About the run:
Angry Fire Chozo is a hack of Super Metroid which is created by Deep_Space_Observer, released on May 05, 2009. It's really a nice hack, I have done an any% run of this so I decided to do a run with all items collecting! I found a very nice trick with Boost Ball and Bomb, this trick allow Samus to get through 1 solid block, and because of that, I can skip Phantoom and the escape in a different way. You can see it clearly in the run.
Special Thanks:
   * All Super metroid team's members
   * Cpadolf
   * Kriole
   * Namespoofer
   * Saturn
: )

mmbossman: It doesn't look like this hack has much support from the audience, even if the play is up to par. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
I would strongly recommend, when submitting a hack run, stating how the hack is different from the original game and what makes a TAS of it stand out. There's tons of good-quality hacks of Super Metroid out there; why should a run of this be published, instead of, say, Redesign, or Cliffhanger, or Eris? (For what it's worth, Angry Fire Chozo's main feature is that when you do a standing jump, you can rise indefinitely and fall slowly. Personally I mostly just found it to really slow the game down. I also ended up beating the hack without clearing a good half of the map, since it wasn't really required. I haven't watched this TAS, but I'd say the three games I listed have much better chances of getting a TAS published here than Angry Fire Chozo does).
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
As an SM hacker myself, I'm always glad to see these being done. I will note right off the bat, however, that this desyncs for me shortly after boost ball is acquired (about 1/5th of the way through the run by frame count). Whether or not it's publishing material, however, is a totally different discussion. Like Derakon said, breaking down the differences is really important if you're going to submit this. And, like Derakon said, I'm fairly certain that there are other hacks more likely to get published than this one if runs were done (not to say they're a shoe-in, either). If anyone wants to see what this hack looks like, a quick YouTube search of "Angry Fire Chozo" gave me this along with some others. (Note the TAS submitted is not the same as the one in this link!) I do feel this is one of the better SM hacks out there, but that's not really as nice a compliment as it sounds (most hacks are terrible for any game, and SM is no exception). I have played and beaten AFC, and in the world of SM hacks it's notable, but it is not necessarily an entertaining TAS choice, simply because most of the sequence breaks and general play is not going to make sense to anyone who has not played it. This is not a major issue in games (I can enjoy TASes of games I've not played), but in hacks, it becomes a more pressing problem because it is harder to differentiate between native gameplay and modified gameplay if you are not familiar with the game. When you can watch a TAS of a hack but not understand what's impressive about it, you're possibly looking at a poor choice for publication. Again, I am glad to see that hacks are being TASed... I'd like to see more. But I do not think that this particular hack is a great choice for submission. I would agree with Derakon that there are better choices out there (Eris, Eris, Eris!) that viewers can enjoy without playing through on their own.
I will not use self-reference in my signature.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I have some familiarity with Super Metroid, but not with any of the hacks associated with it. As I have stated before, I think a good run of a good hack should push the game engine to its limits and demonstrate good content that can not easily be shown within the confines of the original game. There are clearly differences in the basic nature of gameplay here (the quirk of jumping that Derakon mentioned is one), but the hack as a whole does not demonstrate much of interest that can't be done with one of the runs of the original game (and we do have a lot of Super Metroid content already). When I see things such as graphical glitches (broken countdown timer, anyone?) and obvious slight reworks of areas in the original game, I am skeptical if not downright disappointed in what I am watching. I vote No.
Tub
yeah, those "oh, I know that room"-moments are usually signs of a poor hack. I didn't bother searching and installing the hack, but if the any% on youtube is similar, that's be a no-vote from me. * "Here, go collect 1384798 energy tanks! We'll bother with enemies later!" :/ * Not actually voting since I haven't watched this run
m00
I am not not wise to the Super Metroid hacks, but I played just about every official release of all the other games. Handheld and console. After watching this, it wasn't quite as entertaining as I thought it might be. Not do to the author, but more so the actual layout of the game itself. Poor level design, and repetitive power ups clumped together made mince meat out of one of my favorite classics. Add all the terrible glitches and I was more saddened to see this game turned inside out. Perhaps if the hack was more creative. I used to find Doom 2 map hacks quite entertaining, and often times more original that the official game. With that said, I vote no.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
While the hack isn't the worst one out there, I don't really care for it. I mean, giving you 6 E-Tanks AND the Varia within about 3 minutes of the start of the game? No exactly impressive. Personally, I'd like to see somebody beat the snot out of Saturn's time on Super Metroid Impossible. THAT is a hack to watch. There's one other hack I liked that could be done, but the name escapes me. The Justin Bailey mod hack was nice, but that only changed the way Samus looked, but nothing about the game itself.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Skilled player (1431)
Sir VG wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see somebody beat the snot out of Saturn's time on Super Metroid Impossible. THAT is a hack to watch.
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/362875125/Cpadolf-Super%20Metroid%20Possible.smv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elYE0VdGiME http://www.archive.org/details/SMI_TAS_49_Cpadolf I think it's a pretty nice run (though outdated in many regards), but it's much to similar to the original to have any place published on this site. Anyway. I really don't think a 101% run was a good idea for this hack. It's quite small in size so a lot of the items are just crammed together, and the actions is constantly interrupted by the pickup message. A any% run would probably be a lot more interesting. However, even then I doubt this is a very good hack for a TAS. The Boostball and keeping your running speed after jumps where nice, but the messed up gravity is very annoying, and the level design didn't seem too good, not for a TAS at least (and made even worse from having to run of to pick up a random upgrade every two seconds). You definitely did a good job with what you had, but I don't think this hack is worthy to for publication.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Emulator Coder
snes9x-1.43-improvement13-win32.zip: http://www.bluetoaster.net/emu/all.htm One issue with this is that there's not a readily available working patch available that makes a compatible version for the TAS file. The patch I found made the game mismatch the movie's expected file info. A full game download(in a RAR file) had to be used, which kind of bites. From my view, the TASing was quite solid. The problem is that the choice in games is a bit lackluster. The amount of time spent on item collection confirmation screens borders on parody. I have to vote no on this one, but I feel compelled to say that it was played as nimbly as any of the accepted TASs I've watched.
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
=.=! I should run another hack! Also, a quick view of my run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oafgq8hTYgU
Active player (276)
Personally I think you should go for a different game, or at the very least, attempt to improve the existing Super Metroid TASes. Hacks tend to be given more of a critical eye than licensed games, generally with good reason (most of them are not worth bothering with) and the ability to get some variety in your gameplay is the sign of a good TASer. Just my coupla coins though.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Thanks for the video. Anybody see the "Justin Bailey" Samus stuffed in that hack? That's about the only thing that was clever about it, IMO. It feels more like "Super Collectoid" then "Super Metroid".
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Toothache wrote:
Personally I think you should go for a different game, or at the very least, attempt to improve the existing Super Metroid TASes. Hacks tend to be given more of a critical eye than licensed games, generally with good reason (most of them are not worth bothering with) and the ability to get some variety in your gameplay is the sign of a good TASer.
Improving the existing Super Metroid TASes at this point would require a massive amount of effort. They are the most heavily-polished runs on this site*. Earlier I named several hacks that I think would stand a decent chance of getting published here. I know Redesign already has a TAS made by Saturn (encodes of which are posted piecemeal to the relevant thread in the SNES forum). As I recall, Cliffhanger and Eris both had TASes in the making on the m2k2 forums, though I stopped checking on those forums awhile back so I don't know what their statuses are. Another hack you might try is any% Dependence; its near-total lack of linearity would allow for some interesting route decisions. I'm not certain how much different people who aren't Super Metroid fans would see it as being from the original game, though. All of the rooms are original, but the environments as a whole are still pretty similar to the base game. * I originally said "among the most heavily-polished runs on this site", but no, I think they in fact are the most heavily-polished ones. I can't think of any runs that compare in terms of game complexity, run length, and degree of polish.
While hack runs are definitely criticized more deeply than regular games (and with good reason), they do get published from time to time if both gameplay and hack are up to par. So by all means, try running a new one--never hurts to try! And, like I said before, you should really do an optimized run of Eris. There are also several other good SM hacks looming on the horizon, though most of the really good ones have been announced and "in the works" for years now, so it may be a while yet before we get there.
I will not use self-reference in my signature.
voted meh the run is good, but the hack isn't
Derakon wrote:
I would strongly recommend, when submitting a hack run, stating how the hack is different from the original game and what makes a TAS of it stand out. There's tons of good-quality hacks of Super Metroid out there; why should a run of this be published, instead of, say, Redesign, or Cliffhanger, or Eris?
Well, for starters, there's a run of this, and not one of those other 3. I'm not entirely sure why publishing this hack would necessarily exclude other hacks. That said, I think the hack really makes this run suffer. The run itself is good, but the hack just doesn't seem all that great. On a related note, I loved the TAS you did of Golden Dawn.
There actually is a TAS of Redesign, though Saturn didn't submit it. There's also a TAS of Cliffhanger, though last I heard it's incomplete. Kriole also made an unoptimized TAS of Eris (mostly forgoing extensive route planning, as I understand it). These should at least let you make an informed decision about the relative quality of the different hacks under discussion. I believe these three to be the best of the available Super Metroid hacks (my personal ranking would be Eris > Cliffhanger > Redesign, though they're all enjoyable).
Yes, Derakon, I'm aware of all of that. I was just pointing out there's no reason publishing one hack would exclude another.
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
How's about Super Metriod X?! It's an upgrade of Dependence :D
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... crunchy!
Player (147)
I only watched the first part on YouTube so far (and some of your other TASes), but (having played the hack) I must say the route planning and optimization looks rather good. On a technical level, this run was definitely publishable. Unfortunately, even though I enjoyed what I saw, the rest of the audience here didn't like this hack. If you want to get a run published here, you should listen to the suggestions the other users here have given.
Derakon wrote:
There actually is a TAS of Redesign, though Saturn didn't submit it.
It hasn't been submitted because it isn't done yet. He still has the remaining 20 bajillion minutes of the escape sequence to do.
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
Active player (295)
I watch all over, really good, I am not Super Metroid experts do not see where the bad [Weapon configuration is too close to?] run is good, yes vote
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Good luck Hoandjzj! I am sorry I didn't get to watch any of this movie until recently, but I think you play very well. You might want to create a thread in the forums, or you can join a thread which already exists. (A quick search shows that there's a Super Metroid Redesign thread, for instance.)
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Player (147)
The author finally got around to uploading both parts of the movie to YouTube (Part 1 - Part 2), and I must say it's very impressive. It's definitely a publishable run in terms of technical quality and as a TAS of a hack.
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.