Well it is an epic day! We have Virtual Boy rerecording! To watch the movie you need the VBjin emulator.
Streaming links:
  • (removed)

The platform

Virtual Boy Wario Land is one of the few releases for the Virtual Boy platform. Arguably Nintendo's biggest flop the Virtual Boy sold it as a "Virtual reality" experience using goggles that sent separate video streams to each eye to create a parallax effect. Unfortunately the seizure inducing red monochrome, the awkward interface, and lack of a virtual reality experience resulted in a less than positve consumer response

The game & movie

Virtual Boy Wario Land was a platformer released for the Virtual Boy system in 1995. The main objective of the game is to traverse the 14 levels. Each level has a key you must find in order to open up the next level. There are treasures hidden along the way. This TASes gets no treasures and thus achieves the "bad ending".
This game offers a rich variety of movements and power-ups that give great TASing possibilities.
Significant Moves:
  • Running using the L or R buttons: the same speed as Barging
  • Barging: A nice move that is faster than walking, but causes Wario to bounce off walls and enemies
  • Bull Barging: With the bull upgrade, barging is significantly faster
  • Flying: Slow speed but very useful
  • Fly bull barging: When you have the bull and eagle upgrades, you can fly at bull barging speed, very useful
Tricks:
  • Alternating L and R quickly stops momentum, this can be used for quick turn arounds
  • While Bull charge flying, tapping the jump button allows him to do a jumping bull charge. This can be exploited to do a double jump and reach areas that shouldn't be possible (such as getting the key early in Level 13).
  • Faster swimming - This makes the swimming level look drunk. When swimming, Wario has a pushing forward, pulling back pattern. Hitting into things at the peak of the forward momentum can cancel out the pulling back momentum. The result is drunk, but it saves time. Eh, I hope that made sense.
Frame rule: Level 13 is the biggest frame rule in TAS history, 1500 frames! That is the interval that the clock is on that gives the key. I get there about 600 frames into the frame rule and thus have 900 to kill. The result is rather unelegant time killing.

Categories

• Emulator used: VBjin
  • Bad ending (any%)
  • Genre: platform

Suggested Screenshots

Thanks

• paul_t for putting together VBjin
  • sgrunt for his awesome encode
Enjoy!

Baxter: Accepting this first Virtual Boy TAS, it got a good viewer response.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2648: adelikat's Vboy Virtual Boy Wario Land in 19:19.50
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Speedy and precise run, complete with gameplay mechanics seen on few other platforms (2.5D action - Tomba comes to mind). Yes vote.
Ok. I couldn't see the entire movie. it really, really gave me a headache. Seeing the movie without the 3D glasses was a very stupid mistake. So, is it possible to do a "2D" encode?
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Active player (301)
Awesome work, looks really clean. And another addition to the Wario Land volume can't be bad! Now to wait so I can do the Wii game... :D Definite yes vote.
Editor
I second that request for a 2d encode.
sgrunt
He/Him
I made an error during the encoding process which results in low visual quality during the first part of the run; I'm going to redo the encode, and at the same time provide a monochromatic dual screen encode. I hope the latter is satisfactory (it will also let me make use of YouTube's 3D video feature).
arflech
He/Him
For a while there I thought that Red Dragon or Reality Boy would end up as the TAS-capable emulator (despite rdragon having been stalled for 6 years); I didn't even realize that Mednafen and PCEjin could join forces like Voltron to emulate the Virtual Boy. I remember playing Virtual Boy Wario Land in Red Dragon once with the screen rendered monochrome with just one of the video outputs, and it was still awesome.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
I hope Grunt doesn't mind me also encoding this. I wore 3D glasses and Yes voted in the process. Edit: This encode will take a while (Currently going at 0.94fps), but it will be 100% lossless and optimized... as much as I'd prefer this one would become published, I am worried that people will fall for Grunts 3D stunts instead... so, yeah.
some things never change. Virtual boy will forever give me a headache lol. other than that though I enjoyed the run. I never played the game before, but it looked like a ton of fun. hopefully there will be a headache free version soon lol yes vote
Banned User, Former player
The video and the screenshots work quite well with red-green glasses. First true 3D TAS ever. Cool.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Nice going! The run seems fairly simple, but it's entertaining. One question though: for the final boss fight, it seems that the head has to go off the bottom of the screen before the next round starts. Since the head moves faster before being hit, would it save time for the first few hits to deliver them late? My thought would be you get the head down to the bottom of the screen faster.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
I have (many) issues with the platform itself. Considering there were less than 20 games released . Can you convince me of 3-4 other games that are worth TASing?
Very nice run! I haven't watched it with 3D glasses yet, but even without the 3D glasses, this run looks very good. Voting yes! I will re-watch it in 3D. :-)
Mitjitsu: a TAS of Panic Bomber could be interesting. It's sort of a combative Columns (where making combos sends junk to your opponent's screen). The only VB games I've played are Wario Land, Panic Bomber, and whatever the tennis game was called, so I can't comment on the others.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Skilled player (1090)
That was much more entertaining than Avatar. Voting yes.
Active player (441)
When I first saw this movie in the workbench, I thought it would be total ass. Because, come on, the Virtual Boy? Then I remembered that Wario Land was one of maybe three or four games on the system that are considered good. Then I thought I'd get eye strain just from trying to tell what the fuck was going on. Thankfully, I came prepared. I thought this movie would be terrible, but it wasn't, at all. With 3D glasses, it was easy to tell what was going on and adelikat's play was, as usual, top notch. Yes vote.
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Derakon wrote:
Mitjitsu: a TAS of Panic Bomber could be interesting. It's sort of a combative Columns (where making combos sends junk to your opponent's screen). The only VB games I've played are Wario Land, Panic Bomber, and whatever the tennis game was called, so I can't comment on the others.
I think Teleboxer has potential, and perhaps Jack Bros. And a "All treasures" run of Wario might be worth seeing. And Baxter might want to mess around with the Tetris game ;)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
sgrunt
He/Him
The repaired encode is currently deriving; it will appear in place of the old encode once that's done. While that derives, here's a dual-screen monochromatic encode: http://www.archive.org/download/VboyVirtualBoyWarioLandByAdelikatIn1919.5/vbwarioland-tas-adelikat_dualscreen.mp4
Hm, apparently Panic Bomber was also released for other platforms, including the SNES. So a run of it should probably not be done on the Virtual Boy. It doesn't make material use of the 3D capabilities.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Editor
Why didn't you collect the coins after the first boss battle?
Skilled player (1637)
Mitjitsu wrote:
I have (many) issues with the platform itself. Considering there were less than 20 games released . Can you convince me of 3-4 other games that are worth TASing?
So wait, TASing is available on this platform, a TAS is submitted, encoded, etc. But, because there aren't 'sufficient' TASes available for the platform, this shouldn't be accepted? I fail to see the logic there. Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on some 3D glasses to watch this. Also, if some cool glitches are found, like the baseball/tecmo bowl/soccer runs, Tennis might be a lot of fun.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Senior Moderator
DarkKobold wrote:
So wait, TASing is available on this platform, a TAS is submitted, encoded, etc. But, because there aren't 'sufficient' TASes available for the platform, this shouldn't be accepted? I fail to see the logic there.
I don't think he was talking about accepting anything in the first place. I, for one, have always seen this platform by itself a wasted effort, and adding rerecording capabilities to one of its emulators doesn't provoke much enthusiasm in me either. But it's no big deal, since adelikat and paul_t can do whatever with their time, and likewise I don't have to like their output. :)
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
The way this was implemented was surprisingly easy actually. Paul had a working model in 1 day, followed by some basic bug fixes and hookups. I would predict that a "jin" emulator could be contructed off any mednafen core item in a similar manner (which makes me want to see mednafen expand its platform capabilities!)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
N._Harmonik
She/Her
Will 3D glasses that aren't red and blue work?
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
sgrunt
He/Him
Not with the anaglyph encode; you could see if you could find a video player which would support 3D playback of the dual screen encode. I'll also be uploading the latter to YouTube in the near future to make use of the yt3d features (which support different colours of 3D glasses).