Submission Text Full Submission Page
I didn't see a TAS of Cheetahmen at all, so I decided, why not. Other than that, it's your run of the mill TAS.
Action 52, by Active Enterprises, was a poorly made game for the NES. It's badly made quality and extreme price tag ($199) made it known in the gaming universe as a game that's "So bad you have to play it." Cheetahmen was the game that the publisher's wanted to advertise the most, using a comic book and hints of toys to be released.

Game objectives

Beat the final boss.
  • Emulator used: FCEUX 2.1.4a
  • Up+Down/Left+Right On

• Takes damage to save time
  • Heavy glitch abuse
  • Abuses programming errors in the game

Comments

Before anyone says anything, yes, I missed one shortcut, in level one. But I really wanted to get all of level one in, since it's the only level in the game that has the whole nonjumping-bird's-eye-view-at-an-angle-side-scrolling gameplay.
This game is very precise about certain things to actually let the screen scroll to continue the level. In level two, in the beginning, I turned around to kill an enemy to allow the screen to scroll. Same thing in the last level, where I climb up a ladder, then climb down it a little.
The end boss battle may look a little strange, due to the fact his flight path is a little random, he, and all bosses in the game, kill with one hit, and the actual reload time on my character's weapon. The character I was using cannot use the jump glitch, as other character's can. His jump height only allows me to shoot once in midair.

mmbossman: Rejecting due to poor viewer feedback and voting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Which Action 52 rom did you use? After the first level I just get a blue screen.
I like Doraemon
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Somebody was obviously inspired by AVGN, since he posted the video to his YouTube account a few weeks ago...
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Lorenzo_The_Comic wrote:
Which Action 52 rom did you use? After the first level I just get a blue screen.
Action 52 (USA) (Unl) (Rev A) It was the only ROM I found that worked after the first level.
Active player (277)
Well that's strange, because your movie only syncs at all if I turn on Old PPU and use the ROM that doesn't have the "Rev A" which also matches your movie's checksum, but then I get the blue screen after the first level.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Personman
Other
The ROM worked fine for me. Before I vote though, can you explain a couple things? Maybe they were for luck manipulation or something? In the beginning of level 2, you turn around to kill a guy who seems to be going the other direction. In the last level, there is one ladder you go up too far and then climb back down a ways. Maybe it was because you had to jump too high though? The end boss was quite entertaining, though I don't quite understand why it had to be done that way - does he attack you more aggressively if you stand in front of him?
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Personman wrote:
The ROM worked fine for me. Before I vote though, can you explain a couple things? Maybe they were for luck manipulation or something? In the beginning of level 2, you turn around to kill a guy who seems to be going the other direction. In the last level, there is one ladder you go up too far and then climb back down a ways. Maybe it was because you had to jump too high though?
This game is very precise about certain things to let the screen actually scroll through the level. I had to kill the enemy in level 2 for the game to allow the screen to scroll, same with climbing up to a certain height on the ladder in the last level.
Personman wrote:
The end boss was quite entertaining, though I don't quite understand why it had to be done that way - does he attack you more aggressively if you stand in front of him?
All the bosses in the game kill you with one hit. Even with TAS, the last boss's pattern is a little random. I killed him that way as it was the fastest. Due to the jump height of that character, and the fact you can't do the jump glitch with him, he only shoots once in midair, so going up to the top would have just made me lose more energy and lost me time.
Skilled player (1885)
This run is almost 3 minutes faster, and was rejected for being a bad game choice. EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw that this is the first game, and that run was Cheetahmen II. Sorry.
The ROM I ended up using didn't match the checksum but still synced perfectly. It had the same title phantom321 indicated above.
Editor, Player (68)
Encode?
true on twitch - lsnes windows builds 20230425 - the date this site is buried
Personman
Other
phantom321 wrote:
Explanations
Alrighty, voting yes, but it would be nice if you mentioned stuff like that in the submission comments so that it doesn't just look like you're being sloppy to those who don't understand the game. In fact, I think it would be a great idea to edit that stuff (and anything else interesting) into the comments, if that's possible?
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Encode please?
I'll make one when I get the spare time.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Cheetamen II was rejected for poor game choice, I will hold my vote until I've seen an encode... tested over 15 different U roms of Action 52 (4 of those had the tags you mentioned), none syncs.
Active player (277)
You should add more about the settings you used to record this game, Phantom!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
It desyncs at level 5 for some reason. It is recorded with 2.1.4a. Ensure you're using the right version, so it won't happen again.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
I enjoyed it, Yes voted. I had a nice lol. I also encoded the run. Click this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt-_Dtho_b8
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
PikachuMan wrote:
It desyncs at level 5 for some reason. It is recorded with 2.1.4a. Ensure you're using the right version, so it won't happen again.
Um, I don't quite understand what you mean. I recorded with 2.1.4a and it syncs up fine with the last level. Are you using the correct ROM?
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3594)
epitome of bad game choice.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
This game is just so bad, not even a TAS can make watching it very enjoyable. I found myself skipping through it later on just to get to the disappointing final boss and ending. The Genesis version would've been more entertaining. On the other hand, I can't find any other reason to dislike this TAS because it's clearly well made and thought out... I guess I'll give it a meh.
This is only a little obsessive.
broken run for a broken game yes vote bonus point for having the cat mario soundtrack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLrWwmnt2po
Voted Yes, because of Saddam Hussein and the music.
What a piece of crap game. From the Action 52 Wikipedia article: "The games have been known to freeze or crash due to programming flaws, have incomplete and/or endless levels, unresponsive controls, and confusing design. In the game manual, each title had a one-sentence description. Some titles were described as completely different games and some were incorrectly described or miscategorized." I'm voting yes only because a person who suffered through this 20 years ago would probably get something out of the run... though that something might be a seizure. And I have that damn music in my head now.
Oh, play it cool. Play it cool. Here come the space cops.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Everything about this game should be left in the past! On the other hand, This is a pretty nice run of a horribly broken game with crappy but catchy music. This is as adelikat said an epitome of bad game choices, but I will still vote yes, just because the game is so horribly broken and that you showed it off in the most amusing way possible.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Does this run color a dinosaur? No? Yes vote then.