Version 3. Time is 36:15, 1:02 faster than version 2. There are no major changes in this video, just a lot of optimizations.

Bisqwit: I'm looking at your movie in slow motion now (because I'm using a slow computer), and based on the first level, I can tell it's as accurate as my Rockman movie. You seem to have optimized your movements at frame precision, just like it should be :)
Excellent work.
The thing I didn't check is lag - I can't tell when using this setup.
Bisqwit: Touching. The data at forums seemed to be stale.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #281: kopernical's NES Mega Man 4 in 36:14.83
Former player
A few things I noticed: On Skullman's level, you are climbing a ladder and don't use a ledge to jump up the ladder faster. I'm almost postive it's faster to jump up the ladder rather than climb, even though Mega Man climbs ladders quite quickly in this game. When fighting Brightman, wouldn't it be faster to jump and then use Toadman's attack at the peak of your jump? That way it has less room to travel to the top of the screen. When falling down screens, it appears as though you aren't as close to the wall as you could be. There are some levels (Brightman, Cossack 2) where you don't use Rush Jet to get yourself as close to the top of the ladder as possible, thus reducing climbing time. I take it there are no places that would justify getting the Wire for. Other than those things, It is a very good run. I especially liked the luck abuse in Cossack 3's boss. Is there a way that you could have hit him in his first 2 passes, rather than having to wait 1 pass? Did you use some heavy luck abuse in Drillman's level to cause all those 1-up's to fall near the end? Because I liked that.
Editor, Active player (296)
I second Dan's points. Also, I liked how you didn't lose energy against the bubblegum robot boss (the one that comes before the robot master rematches) this time.
Former player
Dan_ wrote:
On Skullman's level, you are climbing a ladder and don't use a ledge to jump up the ladder faster. I'm almost postive it's faster to jump up the ladder rather than climb, even though Mega Man climbs ladders quite quickly in this game.
It's only slightly faster. But that was one of the little stylistic things that bugged me so I changed it.
Dan_ wrote:
When fighting Brightman, wouldn't it be faster to jump and then use Toadman's attack at the peak of your jump? That way it has less room to travel to the top of the screen.
You're probably right. I didn't think about that.
Dan_ wrote:
When falling down screens, it appears as though you aren't as close to the wall as you could be.
I know. I don't like quickly changing directions after sliding only to fall right against the wall. But I noticed later that you can change directions right at the wall so you're right, this can be fixed.
Dan_ wrote:
There are some levels (Brightman, Cossack 2) where you don't use Rush Jet to get yourself as close to the top of the ladder as possible, thus reducing climbing time.
Because moving up while on Rush Jet seems to slightly slow forward movement so I tried to do that as little as possible.
Dan_ wrote:
I take it there are no places that would justify getting the Wire for.
You have to repeat part of Dive Man's stage to get it so you'd have to use it a lot to make it worthwile. And I just don't see that many places where it would help.
Dan_ wrote:
Other than those things, It is a very good run. I especially liked the luck abuse in Cossack 3's boss. Is there a way that you could have hit him in his first 2 passes, rather than having to wait 1 pass?
In all the versions I've done it's always formed up in 3 so when I got 2 I considered myself lucky. Seriously, though, I've tried it quite a bit and I've never seen it form in 1 and this is the only time I saw it form in 2. So I honestly don't know if it's possible.
Dan_ wrote:
Did you use some heavy luck abuse in Drillman's level to cause all those 1-up's to fall near the end? Because I liked that.
There were a lot of lot of 1-up's there? I guess that answers your question :-)
Bisqwit wrote:
Also, I liked how you didn't lose energy against the bubblegum robot boss (the one that comes before the robot master rematches) this time.
That was actually one of the things that I liked. I didn't actually get hit. I don't know if it's a bug or intended behavior but you can use Drill Bomb to get inside the thing without taking damage. I did it once accidentally once and spent a long time trying to do it again. But it is slower and less interesting so I changed it.
Former player
A great run, just finished watching it. There are, as said, things to improve. I don't know whether you intentionally didn't bother or just didn't know (and I even can't be sure if this applies to MM4) that when jumping to a higher ledge, you don't have to go even one pixel above the ledge if you are in the right position. What I mean is, all of your jumps (from a lower platform to a higher ledge) were too high. This is at least the case for MM6, I cannot be certain for MM4 but I would assume that it is. It is time consuming to do this, though, and as I've been redoing MM6 I've had to try some regular jumps tens, even hundreds of times to get them right. It looks very cool though, as you can immediately slide from the first pixel of the ledge.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [168] NES Mega Man 4 by kopernical in 36:14.83