FCEUX 2.1.2-interim

Priorities

• Uses no passwords
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Abuses deaths (and a game over) to save time
  • Manipulates luck

About the Game

This is a side-scrolling platformer/puzzle game based off Part II and III of the Back to the Future trilogy.
In Part II there are 30 items scattered throughout 16 streets in three different time periods. In order to get an item you have to get a key to unlock a door to the object room. In the object rooms you have to jump around and collect all the clocks and then a trophy appears which ends up being one of the items. Each item also has its own secret room to be dropped off in its correct time and place. Only two object rooms are completely unreachable and the only way to reach them is by getting a seed, planting it in 1955, then going to 2015 where it becomes a fully grown plant you can jump on. Part III is the same thing except there are only 10 streets in one time period (1875) you have to deal with. That means you don't have to worry about time traveling or having to plant seeds to reach certain places. The object rooms have pieces of gold to collect instead of clocks and a large block of gold appears after collecting all the small pieces of gold instead of a trophy. In both Part II and III you can collect the star icons that pop out of enemies to throw stones as your projectile weapon.

Control Combinations That Helped Me Save Time

Pressing Start+A at the title screen allows you to skip the dialogue sequences at the beginning and go right to the game.
Pressing Select+B in an object or bonus room allows you to exit that room. You lose a life by doing this unless you have already obtained the item you need in an object room but you can't exit until the score finishes tallying up.
While walking left you can press left+right and he can do the moonwalk! : D
He can also walk in place by pressing either left or right, hold up+down, then letting go of left/right.

On-Screen Sprite Limit

There is a sprite limit in this game that only allows 7 or 8 sprites on the screen at a time. If there's already at the limit, the items that are supposed to appear on screen at that moment won't show up (like some very important radioactive fuel units). The fish are the worst to deal with because they blow bubbles which means extra sprites on the screen.

Luck Manipulation

It was not easy to luck manipulate in this game. If you enter an object room one frame later or even 10 frames later the luck manipulative enemy behavior doesn't change.

Part II

Planning the Route

• Streets 1, 2, and 3
  • Streets 10, 13, and 15
  • Streets 12, 14, and 16
  • Streets 9 and 11
  • Streets 1, 2, and 3 again - I have to revisit this section because there is an object in street 3 of 2015 has object room for object 10 and the puzzle room for object 22 but street 16 of 1955 has it the other way around.

Time Travelling

I have to have 10 radioactive fuel units to time travel to an adjacent time period (1955 to 1985 or 1985 to 2015) but to time travel from 1955 to 2015 it costs 17. Sometimes I'll be running around looking for radioactive icons to time travel in this run because they get used up very quickly and I need to time travel so much to get to streets that aren't connected in that particular time period. The game will only allow you to have up to 40 of them and they stop appearing when you collect 30 of them. I go into bonus rooms where there are radioactive fuel units (there are 40 in that room). Also you can make them reappear by entering and exiting the screen via time travel or street exit but they only respawn about 4 or 5 times then they stop respawning.

Object Rooms

I tried to kill the long waiting sequences for the slow-moving enemies. The worst enemies in the object rooms were the little frogs because their behavior is random (they can climb ropes and poles). Sometimes they get in the way when you try to climb a rope or slide down a pole and other times they won't. There are also these white glowing balls that home in on you if you stand in an area for too long. I also noticed something about the setup of these rooms. The clocks you collect are part of the background and they are always at the bottom left-hand corner of a "block" (16 pixels x 16 pixels). There are also pellets that fall from the top of the screen which appear in different patterns depending on randomness. Another interesting thing about the object rooms is that the type of platforms match the time period you are in.

Part III

This part only has 10 streets in one time period to deal with. It's also easier because the object rooms are on the same street as the puzzle rooms for a particular item.
There's not really much to say about this part of the game for the main streets themselves.

Object Rooms

It was really hard to decide which way to get the pieces of gold was the fastest because there were so many possibilities due to the breakable/placeable parts of the room. In some object rooms you literally have to wait for the falling blocks to pile up so that you can jump up to a higher area. I have tried getting up to higher places without having to do so but I couldn't find a way. The slow-moving enemies weren't really a problem in these object rooms. They still have the weird white glowing balls that try to home in on you.

Closing Remarks

Man this has been a great year for me TASing NES games! I got to jump through the ceiling (Contra Force), fall through the floor (Hook), slide through the wall (Mega Man 5) all while keeping the space time continuum in balance (Back to the Future 2 & 3)!! : D

Flygon: Added in YouTube module.

Baxter: This is a very good TAS of this game. It is however not a very good game to TAS. Even most of the yes voters had problems with the length and repetitiveness of the movie. Rejecting this submission due to bad game choice.

Noxxa: Judging in consideration of the vault tier.
Noxxa: Accepting for the vault.

Ilari: Processing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2790: GlitchMan's NES Back to the Future Part II & III in 1:14:24.25
Archive.org Linky Direct Linky Daily Motion Linky This DM link actually works >.>
Player (36)
In the room before the one where your score reads 151850 (sorry I didn't catch the frame) would it be faster or possible to just make one of the two columns of blocks disappear and then jump up the other?
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Experienced player (620)
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
In the room before the one where your score reads 151850 (sorry I didn't catch the frame) would it be faster or possible to just make one of the two columns of blocks disappear and then jump up the other?
What column of blocks are you talking about? Are you talking about the object room in Street 15, 1985 (Lucky Draw)? I assume you mean the quicksand that disappears when I stand on it. No it's not possible because it's too high up (I make one disappear and jump on the other in Fill 'Er Up). I hope this answers your question. :D
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
I almost fell asleep watching the last few moments of the game. Anyway I say yes.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
By the way, GlitchMan, in this year, you've also managed to stop time doing all these things (Mega Man 4, Flash Stopper)! Anyway, let's stay on topic. I like how fast the character moves. It's cool how you can shoot the stones ahead of you to pick up fuel from the enemy later. It was amusing to see the DeLorean canceled just to respawn enemies for more fuel. Death abuse was cool, especially in object rooms. Actually, object rooms were pretty cool overall... they sort of reminded me of a more sinister Nuts 'n Milk. However, the game is just LONG. The streets all look pretty much exactly alike after the first few minutes. (Though I suppose that people who haven't played Metroid have a similar complaint, especially about the 100% runs.) I had to watch a lot of this at 200% speed. All in all, the game is too long for a Yes vote from me, and I'm going with Meh.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Active player (277)
Wow, so that's what the whole game is like. To think this is the minimum time to complete it... I don't want to imagine how much time you would spend figuring it all out. From a game design perspective, it might have been nicer to put something like the "3" section before the "2" section, where there's less to search for and you don't have to worry about subways or time travel, so you could get used to the basics first before it gets more complicated.
mklip2001 wrote:
Actually, object rooms were pretty cool overall... they sort of reminded me of a more sinister Nuts 'n Milk.
Heh, when I described Boomerang Kid to Bisqwit, he said that game sounded like Nuts 'n' Milk too, only Boomerang Kid dispensed with any kind of ladders to introduce a "Don't fall too far" gimmick. Those object rooms did have some nice variety, like there was one for collecting gas, in the last time period it got trickier with re-arrangeable rooms, the enemies were fairly appropriate, there were ones with armies of Marty clones... Hey, what was up with the duplicate Marties? I guess story-wise you could say they were Marty from a previous time trip, or Marty Jr. in 2015, but what did they do in the game? I was presuming that the ones in the object rooms followed the player's movements exactly on a delay but would kill the real Marty on contact, so the player would have to plan ahead not to pass through where he would need to be later just like Kylie Minogue. The sidescrollers were a little bland though. I liked that they reproduced some buildings from the movies as backdrops, but 2015 still looked too similar to 1955 in terms of background graphics and music. The enemy designs were way too random, and the spiked turtles and bouncing ball weapons reminded me of Super Mario Brothers. And I can accept taking liberties with the story to make a game, but why did they have to change the dates? Setting all three time periods to October 26 1:21 just makes it more confusing; I can't imagine the programmers were so short on tiles that they couldn't put in the other two dates on the time circuits. As well, do you really think they determined that the final setting was more historically accurate to 1875 than 1885 through careful research?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
A weak Yes vote, clearly a good TAS, clearly a boring game. This HD encode is taking forever to make.
Was there really no other timing in Fill 'er Up to get past those moving platforms sooner? Would getting the clock over the vine first before the one under the quicksand change anything? It just seems a shame to have to wait there. Not voting until I'm done watching (just wanted to get that question out before I forget) but it's looking like a "yes" since at least the item rooms are interesting enough. So even though I can't seem to recall what part of 2 Marty was forced to avoid an endless stream of clones while collecting clocks I think something like that would make a good screenshot, or maybe one of the times Marty looks like he's been run over by the DeLorean? EDIT: ok this game is seriously way too long, but I'll say yes. Just a few more questions: In hill valley gym, why did you get the clock all the way to the left last? In lucky draw, why is it not faster to go through one column of quicksand and then hop up the over like in fill 'er up? derp you answered this already Why in some object rooms (like rock around the clock) you wait on some platforms when sometimes you just jump up walls?
Experienced player (620)
I grabbed that clock in hill valley gym the last because it was closest to the trophy I was supposed to get. As for rock around the clock and similar ones there is a glitch where if you land on a moving platform and a bottom corner of a wall is right next to it (you have to be under the corner for it to work) you can jump partially inside the wall (similar to Mega Man 2's item 1 and 3). Sometimes I can't get to a platform in time when it's already going up.
Playlist Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 This is officially my longest ever YouTube upload.
Editor, Experienced player (894)
Still find it hard to believe that it's over an hour long. My viewing of the run periodically turned into a struggle after 35 minutes, but each breathful of radioactive fumes I took in from this game made me appreciate it more in a sort of twisted way, and more importantly, made me think what an arduous task this probably was to TAS. Well, I think the last part of the game is setting-wise less remarkable than the first parts. Less suspense. The objects rooms were my favorite part. Also, this game has a pretty neat audio. It was excruciating after a while, but my overall experience leans slightly towards 'yes'. (didn't watch the entirety of the run, though I did watch most of it, skipping a few minutes here and there.)
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
I voted no because I found the run boring, but keep it up. I'm sure your next TAS will be great.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Experienced player (954)
I feel sorry to vote no, i like your movies generaly, but that one i couldnt watch more than 10min, i forced myself to watch near the end (to see the second part a bit), to me this is not super play, this is super boring.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... juicy!
Experienced player (954)
What about to do Super Back To Future II on snes (jap only) ? Even the nerd sayd it was good :p Controls are likely to be tas friendly (you seem to be always on the skateboard and have good speed), graphics and musics are cool, realy i dont know why you picked up the nes shitty version :D
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2169] NES Back to the Future Part II & III by GlitchMan in 1:14:24.25
Player (12)
I'm glad to see this run in the vault. I haven't watched it in a while (and will re-watch again), but I recall the mini-stages where you get the items being fairly entertaining, and the pace picking up in Part 3. Plus, I have a morbid fascination with terribly-designed games and seeing them TASed, because it makes the Angry Video Game Nerd look like he's bad at video games or something. :)
omg I watched that whole thing.. Not in one sitting thankfully. This game could have been good if it wasn't a licensed game. If it was an original property, and had some sort of purpose to it, yeah. Could have been good. But instead, it seems confusing as hell. But after reading a bit about the game and watching, it damn near makes sense :P I have to wonder though if it's well coded to not have any bugs to exploit or if it's just a matter of bug searchers wouldn't waste their time on this game :P Because damn.. 75 minutes of that crap. :P I have to assume that the route is optimized, but it's just a really bad game :P
Skilled player (1706)
I love how the 2nd game (Back to the Future 3) is only ~17 mins long, yet it's the most boring part due to lack of hoverboard, DeLorean, and more minigames requiring waiting. >.>