1 2
9 10 11
22 23
ventuz
He/Him
Player (123)
What codec are these?
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
They're supposed to be h.264 as usual, but they're sliced out of a larger AVI and might have lost some header information in the process. Here's an MPEG4/DivX version.
Former player
mpeg4 for now on please :)
I think.....therefore I am not Barry Burton
What's the significance of that?
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
Of what the AVI says? While walking in the lighter green patches of the world map, you don't decrement the encounter counter! Erokky went wide around the mountain range. This would be considered a mistake if you didn't know about the encounter counter. And I didn't know until after I ran this plugin on the game and discovered it.
Post subject: Random Enounter
Holy cow! I just watched the video, and it does decrement on some 'fairway' squares. It decrements on certain fairway squares that border dark green squares. Very nice find! It makes sense that the fairway should protect you from random encounters, but, since I've had random encounters on fairway before, I didn't think that the feature worked/was ever implemented. Now I know that I am protected on certain tiles. Awesome! (The two byte number located at C0/C2A5 shows the encounter rate for fairway tiles without the CB or MC: zero! I just read that from Assassin's commented C0 file.) I wonder which tiles use the same encounter rate? Maybe a few tiles from the mines? :) And I like the idea of showing the monster HP and encounter counter to the viewer. I noticed yesterday that I wasn't getting the correct items out of the sketch glitch. For example, I noticed that I wasn't getting any Paladin or Flame Shlds. So I must be crashing the game because I'm doing the glitch with the wrong value in Sabin's $20FF byte. It shouldn't be changing but I'll manipulate it and try again. EDIT: Sabin either needs to be an imp or needs to be out of MP before the battle begins. That should be easy...
Former player
DeHackEd wrote:
While walking in the lighter green patches of the world map, you don't decrement the encounter counter! Erokky went wide around the mountain range. This would be considered a mistake if you didn't know about the encounter counter.
This bug was discovered by Novalia Spirit before I even started the run. I played the whole run taking this bug into account. As far as we've bothered testing, this bug only works on light green tiles with dark green grass on the corners of them. These tiles are only found in the World of Balance. You can see this bug abused fully from after exiting the Figaro Cave to entering South Figaro, and exiting South Figaro to entering Mt. Koltz. Novalia requested me not to tell anybody of the bug. It looks like Dehacked was bright enough to spot it though.
Post subject: UP TO THE WOR!!!
YES! The Sketch Glitch worked! I'm up to the WOR now. WIP Link Savestatified version up to the beginning of the Floating Continent. I thought Novella Spirit had finished his run?
Post subject: Tentacles Done
I think this movie will be done shortly for three reasons: - I'm past the tentacles and I 'only' have about 20 minutes of gameplay left. - My first WIP (I make new copies each day) is called "12-01-05.smv", so I'm creeping up on a year. - The Japanese re-release date is Nov. 30th. :) So I've got two reasons why the timing couldn't be better. WIP Link Thank you DeHackEd for the upload space. Thank you Gatsby for the fixed link. (Error message of the year award!) Comments: - Kutan ruined my run whole run, basically. Forget what I said about Kutan earlier. There is no possible way that Kutan could ever be faster than Celes, especially if you figure in missed chances for optimizations: Celes on the FC, Celes learning Vanish/Doom (no Sabin!), no Sabin! (twice for emphasis), and the required bosses. - I hate the Solitary Island. First, I lose crazy amounts of time here because I don't have Sprint Shoes. Not only do I need 5 trips to Cid instead of the optimal 4, but each of those 5 trips take me longer because I don't have Sprint Shoes! Watch the video - I cried. Speaking of that, the second reason I'm ticked about the Solitary Island is because saving Cid turned out to be 5933 frames faster than letting him die. If I had lost tons of time here but included the suicide scene as a tradeoff then I would've been happier. (Cid and Shadow are supposed to die because they've both killed innocent people. But, their deaths have meanings. If you save their lives it's an injustice and it ruins the story. And if you save Shadow he just kills himself anyway because he knows he's supposed to die. :P Such a happy video game.) - Tzen goes really well! Two random encounters and I'm in and out as fast as I can be without Sprint Shoes. I'd say more about this event but it went by so pleasantly quick as it should in a TAS. - The Tentacles die in 5 actions: Debilitator, Flame Shieldx4. That massive time saver just paid for my sketch glitch spell learning. I also like how invincible I am during that battle. Edgar has such a high mblock thanks to the Illumina + Paladin Shld that I didn't even need to manipulate those 3 consecutive dodges. All I had to manipulate away was as many time-wasting counter-attacks as possible. - The reason why I re-equip Sabin with two Earrings 8 steps before the engine room is because I need to manipulate the battle on the next tile. My previous battle back in the cave gave me zero options for manipulating a pre-emptive there. (Long explanation:) Normally I can adjust my flee time such that the screen fades out at the right time such that I end on the correct 'wavelength' to hit the next pre-emptive. By 'wavelength' I mean check out Jyzero's line graph of frame-counter vs. initial ATB. However, my previous battle gave me two identical choices for my ending and neither of them worked. Entering the subscreen lets me choose any wavelength that I want at the cost of entering the subscreen. So, I equipped Sabin while I was in there. Phew, that was a long explanation of something that no one will likely notice.
Go go go! :) I wish I could comment furthur, but I never find myself with enough time to watch when I do remember that I want to watch your WIPs. :/
<Zurreco> if so called professional players cant adapt to every playing field, theyre obviously not that great
Catastrophe wrote:
- The Japanese re-release date is Nov. 30th.
huh? Anyway, time to watch. I can't get that save state to work.
<^>v AB X LR s
Post subject: Re: Tentacles Done
Joe
Sorry to hear you're having misgivings about Kutan. I personally think it was the most entertaining part of the run. I was in hysterics. I was disappointed she turned back to normal since the opera scene though. I really enjoyed the run as a whole btw
Cid and Shadow are supposed to die because they've both killed innocent people. But, their deaths have meanings. If you save their lives it's an injustice and it ruins the story
That's a matter of opinion
Is it at all possible to glitch sprint shoes onto kutan? Either way, do you plan to do another run?
Post subject: Re: Tentacles Done
Thank you everyone for the encouragement. :) I'm glad Kutan is entertaining because that's why I did it. Back when I choose Kutan, Erokky hadn't started his run yet, and I hadn't started posting here yet. I had a plan, but I had to guess, so I erred on the side of showing off glitches. That's why I gave up a carefully measured 2292 frames to glitch Locke, too. (My favorite part is right before the Narshe battle. Cyan: I recognize that moogle! That's general Kutan of the Empire! Let me at her! Merchant: No! I swore I'd protect this moogle! Would you like to buy something instead?) In 5 days there will be a new GBA game in Japanese stores that is a port of FF6. It arrives after 4 and 5, the other games in the SNES FF series. (Not to be confused with 3, which was on the NES, and the recent remake of that on the DS is supposed to be significantly different.) Both 4 and 5 on the GBA recieved a 'graphical upgrade' and some bonus content like a dungeon or whatever. I haven't played either of them and I don't want them spoiled. Anyhow, I'm expecting this new version to be the best port ever that actually makes the SNES cart obsolete but I might have my hopes up too high. (But after the unplayable PSX port the only way to go is up.)
Joe wrote:
That's a matter of opinion
Oh I know. :) But in my run I'd rather play the game my way if I can. Unfortunately, Kutan clumbsily grabbing fish and limping back to the house makes for slightly better video than Kutan running laps around the house like a lunatic. (Only slightly.) My deal with Shadow is that he openly admits that he's a murderer, everyone knows it, but he still feels like he has to be all sappy and remorseful on occasion. He says something like "The reaper is only one step behind me" when he joins you in Kohlingen, I think. So here we have a guy who says that he wants to pay his debt to society, except he really doesn't, and a guy who is supposed to be emotionally dead, but really isn't. If you were to ask me "Can a murderer be redeemed for his crimes though good deads alone?" then I'd say no. Given exceptional circumstances, and the FF series definitely excels in those, then maybe. But Shadow doesn't seem to want it and he doesn't have any reason to be in the WOR anyway. His death on the FC is medium-heroic so I say just let him go. Now, if Shadow had shown any kind of interest in Relm then that would change everything, but he doesn't, because he's a douchebag, so he dies. Cid's death is remarkably poetic: he wastes away in solitary confinement for a year. And then shortly after starves to death, a piece of magicite washes up on his shore. Get it? He's in one of his own tubes! I mentioned the possibility of glitching Sprint Shoes onto Kutan a few pages back and I run into three problems. One, the equip anything bug can only be done in the Japanese verison, and I can't begin to equip Kutan anyway. I could use the sketch glitch to equip Sprint Shoes in Kutan's left hand, but none of the outcomes allow that I don't think. (The useage field of the items in your in-battle inventory is frequently wrong for the item. For example, pause my movie and equip a Gem Box into Sabin's left hand! Notice how he get's X-Magic, too.) And finally, everyone in the whole party gets de-equipped prior to the Solitary Island anyway. So even if Kutan did get those Sprint Shoes on he'd still lose them.
I keep timing out when trying to get the latest WIP is it just me or is anyone else having this problem?
Former player
Works for me.
Player (104)
I'm having problems too... The file downloaded from the latest WIP link is 95 060 bytes long... clearly not enough to be the whole WIP. It ends input during the moogles fight, slightly after getting Locke. Maybe it's a problem with microstorage? EDIT: Nevermind. Dehacked solved the problem. It was a microstorage problem.
EDIT: Nevermind, my ISP is just being lame this week.
Input End :) 923,693 frames total. Erokky's movie ends right before I fight the first tier. That's pretty darn close considering that I screwed up as follows: (pretend I'm the soldier from the banquet scene giving out the prizes ;)) He started after me, he could manipulate the raft ride, he knew better than to pick up useless treasure chests in Narshe and South Figaro, he also knew better than to kill TunnelArmr with the Lightning Rod, and he didn't take Kutan. Well... :D With just those improvements alone, all before the Narshe Battle, I could get the time down to 3:50 no problem. And with a route change to take advantage of Celes and maybe Gau I think 3:30 is possible! I'm positive that the Sketch Glitch does help. Celes' natural magic will make it even better. A really long time ago I did explore a bunch of plans for taking Terra on the FC just to take advantage of her natural magic. Unfortunately, I had to take Sabin because he needed to learn V+D. But with Celes instead of Kutan not only do I get natural magic, but Celes can 'replace Sabin' (who was replacing Celes in the first place) in my run. As for what happened in the last leg of my run, just watch it! Kefka's Tower is very exciting. I noticed some glitchiness during the Falcon's cutscene but it doesn't seem to have affected anything. I promise very interesting boss fights where Setzer is not involved. And even then, the tiers turned out very well I think. During the "10 Hits" I didn't know if I was going to make it or not. I had to remanipulate those 10 hits several times to dodge all 10. Hey, wait a sec. Who muddled Setzer during the second tier if it wasn't Sabin? Hehehe. "??????" as Celes Chere. Nice. You'll need bookmarks to see it unless you've got a few hours to burn. [URL=http://www.mediafire.com/?0ndfjznlozd]This is like the collectors edition of my whole movie right here.[/URL]
Post subject: Re: Input End
Catastrophe wrote:
With just those improvements alone, all before the Narshe Battle, I could get the time down to 3:50 no problem. And with a route change to take advantage of Celes and maybe Gau I think 3:30 is possible!
Are you going to? Regardless, congrats on finishing. When I have an afternoon or so free I will sit down and enjoy this.
Awesome. I might as well watch the whole thing again, since I'll be standing on my head anyway... What's the "collector's edition" about? I checked the link but it told me to enable cookies.
Player (36)
Savestates.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Post subject: Re: Input End
Yay! Now i just want to know, are you going to do another run?
Catastrophe wrote:
As for what happened in the last leg of my run, just watch it! Kefka's Tower is very exciting. I noticed some glitchiness during the Falcon's cutscene but it doesn't seem to have affected anything. I promise very interesting boss fights where Setzer is not involved. And even then, the tiers turned out very well I think. During the "10 Hits" I didn't know if I was going to make it or not. I had to remanipulate those 10 hits several times to dodge all 10. Hey, wait a sec. Who muddled Setzer during the second tier if it wasn't Sabin? Hehehe.
Does it have something to do with that he was casting it at the end of the first tier?
Dromiceius wrote:
What's the "collector's edition" about? I checked the link but it told me to enable cookies.
Labeled savestates for every major scene in the movie! Plus, all 58 WIPs. As I was working on this game I created a new copy of my movie each time I sat down for a session. The first one is "12-1-05.smv" and the last one is "11-27-06.smv". It's way more information than anyone could possibly need. I just called it the Collectors Editon because I was in a silly/happy mood yesterday from having finished the run.
Bob A and Paused wrote:
Are you going to
(My opinion here, but I could be persauded.) There are only two entertaining ways to run this game, and three significantly different versions to choose from: 1) Fastest time period. Just exploit everything possible to reach the credits. Use all kinds of strategies ending with "Doom", 128% mBlock, the Sketch Glitch, use item magic, abuse esper bonuses if you can, use Life on undead enemies and DoomTrain, equip items in the wrong place if you can, use the Nightshade rage, and 'cheat' like there's no tomorrow. :) 2) A clean 100% run. Some people say that since Vanish+Mute doesn't set silence on silence-immune monsters, V+D shouldn't have ever set death on ID protected monsters. According to early information from the recently dumped GBA remake, those people are now right. But a clean and fast run would just be boring. Imagine something like the Lavos battle at the end of the published CT movie looped about 20 times in a row. Ugh. And for those of you in this group who hate Setzer now, he'd still be one-shotting everything in the WOR from the back row with an Offering and the Fixed Dice. For runs of the first type either the Japanese FF6 for the SNES or USA v1.0 should be used. The Japanese version offers the equip anything glitch. This glitch can cause some interesting effects if you equip non-weapons as weapons and it allows anyone to equip the Moogle Charm! YES! You can also equip both an Ice Shld and a Fire Shld and litterally 'cheat' with both hands! (Is anyone getting the reference?) The USA v1.0 version has the Sketch Glitch. For runs of the second type the GBA version must be used. Sure, you could just refrain from being cheap in USA v1.1, but only the GBA remake also fixes the evade bug, which cannot be helped in the SNES version. I've heard that FF6 is banannas when the evade and mblock stats work properly. The GBA version is the honorable choice. And for a 100% run it has the bonus content too.
1 2
9 10 11
22 23