Editor, Skilled player (1939)
gocha already mentioned it here: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5116 According to gocha, the glitch does not work in VBA.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
Here's a REALLY great trick: If you do a hard reset while saving, there's a 2-frame margin where you can corrupt the save file without the game displaying "data corrupted". When you reaccess the save file, you'll have over 25 pokémon (idk how many, as I haven't been able to scroll to the end yet. Most are unusable as they are too glitchy, but there is one level 0 charizard with an attack near infinity. It knows real attacks, but with 0 PP. However, you can use Struggle. He grows to level 1, which means he can be sent to level 100. However, there are many bugs related to this trick. Some of the pokémon can't be healed, which means the rival battle may not end (because of the autohealing after the battle). If it does end (which, occasionally, it does) it says "13 error" then you hear the "item received" noise and then there's "14 error" and if you clear it with B while holding down, you'll walk a step down. You can repeat until leaving the lab, then the game is almost normal, except for messed up colors. I'll use this trick, as opposed to the trainer/fly glitch. It's faster to execute.
Wow @ those Youtube comments. "GAMESHARK!"
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
We'll really be getting those comments after the video with a level 100 Charizard "materializing" (see above post).
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
I've done my bit to advance the plot here in the Pokemon game runs. I had no idea luck-manipulation would be as boring as it is. Maybe someone else would like to work on this run? I'll happily send them the intro I have worked out. I doubt I could stay sane working on this run. I've been very lazy, and have been making entertainment runs of other games, (I.E. SMB3) that won't get submitted. I think I should just formally abandon this, and start working on a run of Lemmings. Anyone want to work on this? *cough* FractalFusion *cough*.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
*Bump* Anyone want to work on this? Anyone?
Player (87)
Perhaps you could explain the 'hard reset' glitch you mentioned earlier. I recall toying with the 'soft reset' (holding A, B, Start, and Select simultaneously), but found that it was not possible to corrupt the save game in any manner (the game simply waits until it is done saving before restarting). If by hard reset, you mean pausing the game and using the reset option in VBA, I'm not sure if this would actually be allowed in a submission; I think that would qualify as starting from a predefined memory state.
print reduce(lambda x,p:p/2*x/p+2*10**1000,range(6643,1,-2))
Meh, I agree with Primo here. Sorry Chamale.
Renting this space for rent. Trying to fix image on this site. Please cut slack. As of April 6th, 2012: After a long absence, here we go again?
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
See, the game actually does record hard resets. It shows up on instant display as an exclamation point (!). If you hard reset during a save, and while watching a movie, it keeps the frame counter the same (doesn't set it to 0) but it corrupts the save file. It's an easily abused glitch in a TAS.
Might be a good idea to produce a small unoptomised Wip of the hard reset glitch Chamale.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
I'll get it up in a week... I'm at my mom's house right now.
Well than Chamale, its been a week, where is it?
Renting this space for rent. Trying to fix image on this site. Please cut slack. As of April 6th, 2012: After a long absence, here we go again?
Player (87)
Chamale wrote:
See, the game actually does record hard resets. It shows up on instant display as an exclamation point (!). If you hard reset during a save, and while watching a movie, it keeps the frame counter the same (doesn't set it to 0) but it corrupts the save file. It's an easily abused glitch in a TAS.
Whether the emulator is capable of recording a hard reset does not address the question of whether it would be accepted in a tas. The rules don't specifically mention this, but it seems very similar to a save-anchored movie.
tasvideos.org/Rules.html wrote:
The movie must begin from the game power-on state (no loading of saves). We do not allow save-anchored movies. Exceptions for verified saves (or for a demonstration of something fancy) can only be allowed under special permission. In Visual Boy Advance, you must choose ‘record from start’, not ‘record from reset’ or ‘record from now’.
My understanding of the rule against save-anchored movies is that there's no good way to verify that the initial save hasn't been hacked. By doing it like this, the beginning of the movie clearly shows where the save data came from, and by definition shows that it hasn't been hacked.
At SDA, it's been found that you can skip Rock Tunnel by holding an incomplete FCBM through to the spot where Snorlax would appear, except that it doesn't. You don't have to use the Poke Flute, but I still think you have to obtain it because that's what opens up Silph (unless, of course, the guard in front of Silph or better yet the Saffron Gym is removed much as Snorlax is)...walking through routes 11 and 12 should still be much faster than taking Rock Tunnel even with the bike. [EDIT] With Route 9 no longer necessary, are there any remaining Cut spots required (since you can go to Fuschia early and use Surf to get into Vermilion's gym later on), or can the S.S. Anne and therefore Bill and Nugget Bridge be skipped as well?
Player (87)
primorial#soup on the SDA boards wrote:
snazzypadgett on the SDA boards wrote:
So what does this mean? Well, if you simply catch an abra in cerulean city, use the mew glitch trick (abra will replace fly), and get into the "glitchy status," guess what? SNORLAX DOES NOT APPEAR.
This is an awesome discovery, but I must not be understanding the description properly, because I was unable to reproduce this. I set up the trainer glitch, and went to visit my good buddy Snorlax, but he was still there. I made a short movie to show you what I did, both in VBM format and AVI format. The movie clearly demonstrates that I am in "glitchy status", as I walk right by trainers that I haven't fought. Am I misunderstanding something, or is perhaps the description of the glitch missing a detail or so?
Waiting for a reply for the glitch discoverer.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
I love the thrill of discovery. I think I'll get back to working on this run. I'm now working on 3 runs simultaneously (Pokemon, SMB2, Crystal Quest). I'll keep working on this glitch.
I just got a possible clarification from samthedigital (KroniclX2 on AIM). Try following the fight manipulation steps as normal, but saving and resetting before you would collect the Mew or other manipulated Pokemon. If it works, both Snorlaxes (as well as Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo) should be removed from their standard spots forever. [UPDATE] Actually only one Snorlax is gone. It's the one on route 12, though, and that's the important one.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
OMG! NO RESETTING! lol jk. I suppose a soft reset is OK.
For anyone who wants to see this glitch in effect, here's a VBM file that samthedigital created... Download Here
Player (87)
Excellent. From what it seems, it doesn't matter where the glitch is performed, which opens a lot of options (Mt. Moon, Cerulean, Route 11?). I haven't tested this, but I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and assume that if you save when the menu appears, and then save again after catching the pokémon, the glitch should probably still work, although perhaps not? Were this true, it would mean that a speedrunner using the mew glitch, or a taser, wouldn't have to go out of their way at all to perform the glitch, which is kinda nice. If not, it would need to be performed twice, but would still many minutes faster than having to do Route 9, Rock Tunnel, and the entire Poké Tower. A disadvantage from skipping the tower is that you lose the auto-heal there, but it's more than worthwhile. I can't express how excited I am about this.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
I am really having trouble deciding whether to work on Crystal Quest or Pokemon right now. Both runs would have astonishing end results.
I say this will shorten the run by, about 15-20 minutes. Yay! Below 100 minute barrier. Sucks to be you skeptics!
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
Primorial#soup wrote:
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Do you think you can shave off 12 more minutes and make it a Ninety Minute Blitz?
If someone had told me 4 months ago that 1:42 was possible, I would have called them crazy. But 1:30? No. No! At least not without a whole ton of new tricks. Because nearly every battle in the entire run is OHKO, this run is nearing a theoretical lower bound. Whole sections would need to be chopped out in order to bring this time down any more. Possible Candidates: - Find a way to glitch around Snorlax without collecting flute (or, altnatively, glitch a flute into your inventory). If this were possible, it would save around 7 minutes, because Poké Tower could be skipped entirely. - Find a way to glitch around fake barriers in Victory Road. This would only save around 2 minutes, from not having to shove rocks around.
Heehee. I love it when a "perfect" submission is beaten thanks to new glitches. Note that we are glitching around snorlax, like he predicted.
I don't think Pokemon Tower can be skipped, because the guard at Silph blocks the way until you get through that (unless you can do something to make him disappear just as Snorlax does, or better yet do the same for the Saffron Gym guard). I was told the route 16 Snorlax is still there, which means you'll either have to use the Flute anyway or go through routes 12-15, which are longer than Cycling Road and have, from looking a map, what appear to be 4 forced battles when you don't have Surf.