1 2
16 17 18 19
Player (36)
Alright, some extensive investigating into this with Sonic 2. As far as I have found; When recording IF you go back and start to record for player 1 again, it wipes player 2 input. When recording IF you change key configuration, this causes the unused player to spam every-single-button. When recording IF you have it set to record player 1 input but both players are same controls, it will still record both player inputs.
A whisper in the wind~~
Senior Moderator
I have an idea. Upthorn and Nitsuja have been making custom mods of Gens for various purposes (having something to do with Sonic for the most part, though that's unrelated). So why not include all the additions and modifications into the main package? They may still be useful to other people, and will be always built in an up-to-date version of Gens, so there will be only one emulator to use for any purpose. You could make a separate menu ("Custom tools" or something like that) for accessing/toggling them. Is this feasible?
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Player (70)
I like that idea. And if they don't want to mix the tools up they could even create sub-menus called "Nitsujas Tools" or "Upthorns tools". Even though I would not prefer it that way, it would be awesome to have all alternatives baked into one binary. This goes for other emulators as well. For example, Bisqwit and DeHacked uses diffrent styles when outputting videos. Why not bake both versions into one binary so that people can choose the way they like? Very comfortable.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
moozooh wrote:
I have an idea. Upthorn and Nitsuja have been making custom mods of Gens for various purposes (having something to do with Sonic for the most part, though that's unrelated). So why not include all the additions and modifications into the main package?
Actually I have something two steps better planned, as I explained to you on IRC. But I'm refraining from making a public announcement until I'm sure I know how to do it.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Skilled player (1637)
When will we see a new version? I'm getting really tired of accidentally turning on Hook Ram and Trace. Thanks in advance!
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Player (147)
How can I load Roms over 4mb in Gens 9.5b ??? I want to play a UMK3 Hack... Here you can find the patch for UMK3 and the emulator that supports Roms over 4mb...
Post subject: quicksaving during netplay
Hey, if you could enable quick-saving (with the F5 key) during netplay, that would be awesome. There is a simple IF clause somewhere blocking it. Also, the next/previous savestate options need to be available (F6, F7). Thanks!
Hi, I know this probably sounds a bit rude, as I haven't posted here for possibly years, but I have a request - could whoever's making the movie mod also add the features that DebuGens has (i.e. turn off layers, enable/disable shadow/highlight mode, view contents of RAM, VRAM, palette and various registers, and hq2x rendering)? I have to use DebuGens for testing my Genesis hacks, but this of course lacks the movie mod features which can sometimes be extremely useful for debugging too (e.g. frame advance and disabling the blue screen effect while paused), and I see movie gens now supports 32-bit color and Vista's compositioning layers. So yeah, that's my rant/suggestion over. I'll watch this topic in case it actually is added.
upthorn
He/Him
bobxp wrote:
(i.e. turn off layers ... view contents of RAM, ... and various registers, and hq2x rendering)?
First, you can already turn layers off as of gens_movie_9z (or was it 9j). They're slightly mislabelled though, and that will be corrected as of 9.5c. You can already view contents of RAM via RAM search and RAM watch. If you need to know what's going on in the registers you can use the tracing component, which can also be used in conjunction with RAM access logging to know what the contents of a RAM address are at any point that it is accessed. HQ2X rendering is also still present, but only in 16-bit mode. Because all of the graphics filters (except Nitsuja's EPX) were written in x86 ASM, which makes them a huge huge pain to convert to function with a 32-bit surface. Hell, even Nitsuja's EPX filter is not bug-free in 32-bit mode[/quote]
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
upthorn wrote:
First, you can already turn layers off as of gens_movie_9z (or was it 9j). They're slightly mislabelled though, and that will be corrected as of 9.5c.
I've never seen that option; where is it, and are there any keyboard shortcuts? If not, those would be handy - debugens uses F9 for plane A, F10 for B, F11 for sprites and F12 for shadow/highlight.
You can already view contents of RAM via RAM search and RAM watch.
Yes, but you can't see the contents of VRAM, let alone as 8x8 tiles.
HQ2X rendering is also still present, but only in 16-bit mode.
Fair enough, the filters are just eyecandy anyway.
upthorn
He/Him
bobxp wrote:
upthorn wrote:
First, you can already turn layers off as of gens_movie_9z (or was it 9j). They're slightly mislabelled though, and that will be corrected as of 9.5c.
I've never seen that option; where is it, and are there any keyboard shortcuts? If not, those would be handy - debugens uses F9 for plane A, F10 for B, F11 for sprites and F12 for shadow/highlight.
Graphics->layers They don't have hotkeys yet, and I don't want to add any new hotkeys until I've got the backend for hotkey configurability installed.
HHS
Active player (282)
Yes, but you can't see the contents of VRAM, let alone as 8x8 tiles.
You can in 9j, if you press CPU -> Debug -> Genesis - VDP. Then you scroll with + and - on the keypad and change colors with *.
upthorn
He/Him
Changelist:
  • Graphics layers are now labelled properly in the Graphics->Layers toggle menu
  • Option to force sprites always to display in front
  • Option to lock the display palette
  • AVI dumps from currently active screen frame buffer, previously dumped from 16-bit frame buffer.
  • AVI dump no longer one half pixel off, horizontally
  • Multi-track recording now behaves in a sane, intuitive way
  • Multi-track recording now has a submenu (tools->movie->tracks)
  • New hotkeys for multi-track recording: "<" for Previous track, and ">" for next track
  • Raw pixel display mode (Graphics->color adjust->XRay), interprets pixel flags and palette data as an RGB color code
  • Prompt to resume recording at the end of movie playback, if you've recorded at all since opening it, aren't recording an AVI, and don't have "Automatic Close Movie" checked (Thanks Truncated)
  • "hook ram" no longer causes gens to crash if toggled on before "instruction logging"
  • "hook ram" now respects settings in configuration file
  • PWM Volume now behaves properly
  • Unbroke 32X savestates
  • The 0-9 save select keys are now configurable in behavior (Options->Joypad)
Download it here or here.
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
First link seems to contain a broken file, second link works fine
upthorn
He/Him
P.JBoy wrote:
First link seems to contain a broken file, second link works fine
Fixed. I had accidentally uploaded the zip in ASCII mode instead of binary mode.
Odd bug that I think has been around for a bit: Graphic --> Never skip frame with autoskip gets stuck checked. It won't uncheck when you click it again. I also seem to get odd sound problems in your latest run (for example, when robotnik flies past just before the start of FBZ1, the sound is missing...)
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Senior Moderator
Also, as a feature suggestion: Gens needs rewind.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Post subject: Gens 9.5c bugfix
upthorn
He/Him
Changelist:
  • Fixed crash when attempting to display in 16-bit mode
  • 16-bit mode properly respects XRay setting
  • "Never skip frame in auto frameskip" can now be turned off once set
Download it here or here.
Hi, In the next version, can you enable Quick Saving during netplay (F5 key)? It'll take 2 minutes, you just need to comment out a line of code. You just need to comment out the second line here:
	case ID_FILES_SAVESTATE:
		//if (Check_If_Kaillera_Running()) return 0; // comment out to allow save during netplay
(it's in G_main.cpp) Thanks
Thanks for the new version, upthorn. Whoever added the "no longer have to manually change controller settings to match movie settings" is my hero. I've been using Gens version test9c forever and it only dawned on me recently that I should probably update. :)
emu
Active player (380)
Cool update. Thanks for the work upthorn. However, I now have the problem, that gens always closes the RAM watch, when I start replaying a movie, which I have to do a lot, to compare input and frames of different movies. Can I change that in some settings?
Post subject: Gens Rerecording 10 release (and Google code page)
upthorn
He/Him
New in version 10:
  • Debug menu reenabled
  • Debug menu items fixed not to cause crashes
  • Sega CD GFX debug screen updated to support 32x32 stamps as well as 16x16
  • Ram Search and Ram Watch menus no longer close on reset, or game reload
  • EPX render mode fixed in 32bit display mode
  • All other render modes updated to support 32bit display mode
  • Sega CD emulation now supports BIN/CUE as an alternative to ISO+MP3
  • Sega CD emulation now sync-robust
  • Savestate upgrades for all Gens platforms.
  • Slight disassembler output bugfix
  • Bug where 32X palette was sometimes not updated in 32-bit mode fixed.
  • Bug where 32X PWM volume was too low fixed
  • Hotkey configurability: All hotkeys now assignable to any keyboard key or gamepad button.
  • Bug where enabling "instruction logging" or "hook ram" would sometimes cause gens to crash has been fixed
  • GMV playback now clears saved SRAM at start.
Executable and source are available from http://gens-rerecording.googlecode.com. Many, many thanks to Nitsuja for appearing and providing Sega CD rerecordability, hotkey configurability, savestate updates, BIN/CUE support, and numerous other minor fixes and updates.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Congrats, excellent addition. We have a new platform (sort of) for TASing!
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Post subject: Re: Gens Rerecording 10 release (and Google code page)
Editor, Expert player (2460)
It seems that if I have another window active, the Gens on the background is still affected by my hotkeys. I have frame advance assigned to "Q", so when I write "Aqfaq" here on the forum, 2 frames are advanced in Gens.
upthorn wrote:
Savestate upgrades for all Gens platforms.
So, does this mean that some Genesis games that previously desynched might work properly now?
Post subject: ASPI ASPI ASPI
Experienced player (574)
SCD still requires ASPI and ASPI is still unsupported in non-Itanium Win64. Any advice for installing it in XP 64 or Vista 64? I think it's been done before. I tried tinkering with the sys and dll files but still No Drive Detected. Upthorn, can you make a Gens dialog to ask for a CD image directly, without looking at drives? That would be one way around this. We're never gonna use real CDs for recording or playback anyway.
1 2
16 17 18 19