1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
If you watched my WIP you could see that I won an Emergency Exit on the second game.
Gettin' a 404 on your wip Crimson. There's a period at the end that shouldn't be there. Here's the corrected one: http://fast.filespace.org/CrimsonPride/FF1DOS2.vbm EDIT: Any chance of taking on the optional dungeon?
This guy are sick.
I'm gonna leave the optional dungeons alone, since nothing useful can really be gained from them.
Post subject: My FF1 TAS
I started a TAS for this back when Tafatt started his and I believe a monk and 3 black mages is the way to go as well. I followed Tafatt's example when I started mine. http://files.filefront.com/7181324 Goes up to me destroying the Canal. I made several mistakes though and like Tafatt, got frusturated at my inability to manipulate appropriate prizes out of the boat game and stopped there. Thinking about it, you would want 5 emergancy exists total. Marsh cave (crown), earth cave (ruby), ice cave (floater), water cave (slab) and waterfall (cube). You would also want to manipulate a bunch of Megalixers, one each for the unavoidable battles so you won't have to waste time traveling to an Inn, on top of several for Chaos. Then there's also a few battles where you can make use of things like curtains and fangs. For the record, I've got a party at level 16 infront of Chaos on my actual FF1DOS cart AND they're transformed. I can't even come close to killing Chaos with this group. (Knight, Ninja, Master, Red Wizard) Chaos kills my party within 4 turns. If you're going for time, you probably won't transform and your party will likely only be level 15 instead. So getting to Chaos at a minimum level is possible, it becomes a bigger problem to kill him unless there's some trick that he's vulnerable to.
Does the Bane sword still work?
This guy are sick.
I'm pretty sure it does. It's called Razer in this version. Other spells work as well, like Break (BRAK) and Kill (XXXX). I think any run of this game should really consider including the bonus dungeons. There are some really cool/weird looking floors in them. Plus, Shinryu and Omega are really the hardest bosses in the game.
I wonder if the randomness can be manipulated in the same way.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
The Razer (formerly Bane Sword) does not work exactly like it used to. For one, I remember in the old thread that someone said it seemed certain enemies were immune to it entirely, including Chaos. While on the field, manipulation of the RNG comes from waiting a certain number of frames. By this method, you can avoid all random encounters if you wait a frame or 2 before you step into the tile that activated a battle before. You can also manipulate a different first round result by waiting a certain number of frames before activating the battle. Once you're in battle, frames are inconsequential and the RNG then changes based on the final decisions you enter. You can plan your battle out at full speed and as long as you make the same decisions, your results will be the same played again frame-by-frame. Keep in mind this is only true after you have entered battle. Going into the battle a frame latter will give you a different first round result ... and consquently, all other rounds. All this info was available in Tafatt's thread when he started though so credit goes to the people who initially found all this out. (I think that thread is gone now?)
This is the old thread. I was not able to kill a resistant enemy with the bane sword when I tested it. It is faster to backtrack in the watercave after getting the slab. If E.Exit is used the long cutscence will be played again when you dive down the water which takes alot of time.
Good point. Still, I think at some point you'll be required to run around gaining levels and wasting time in order to beat Chaos. =/
Lynxis wrote:
Good point. Still, I think at some point you'll be required to run around gaining levels and wasting time in order to beat Chaos. =/
I figured that a good place to gain a couple quick levels before the Marsh Cave would be to take a little walk up to the Peninsula of Power with some Red Fangs, get a pre-emptive strike against 9 Frost Wolves, etc.
While the peninsula of power may make things easier, it's basically not nessicary and probably won't save any time. I managed to get to Chaos by running from every single random battle on a cart. Here, we have emulation, save states and manipulation on our side on top of that. The issue is just that Chaos is a beast all his own, more than twice as powerful as any other enemy in the game. If you do go to the peninsula, you've gotta spend the time manipulating some red fangs and then more time getting to and manipulating an engagement against the frost wolves. There are *FAR* better places later in the game to gain some quick EXP.
Most notably, winning random encounters that you cant aviod anyway.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Wren
He/Him
Yeah, the PoP is probably worthless. If I remember correctly the previous run used a Monk and three Black Mages and the only extra work he was really planning was using the ship game to win a few very handy items. I'd highly suggest looking over that topic in full. (This was my first post on this site in damn near a year. *sad*)
<i>A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.</i>
Post subject: Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
Since I like this game so much I've decided to do a TAS of Final Fantasy 1 on it. I've been looking at different information about the game for a few months now as well as other people's plans on how to run the game (both NES and GBA versions). I've beat the game before normally so I have an idea of how things run in the game. The only problem I have is the fact that I've never done a TAS before so I'm sure I don't have all of the tools I could have. I've read the two threads in this section on this game already and I'm surprised both seem to have died. Anyway, I had tested running through the first part (to the point where the bridge is rebuilt) before I read those two threads. I hadn't realized that random encounters could be completely avoided until I watched the .vbm posted in one of the threads. I also modified my team to reflect the Monk & 3 Black Mage team. The only tool I'm really using right now is Frame Advance. If anyone has any tools/tips for me they would be greatly appreciated. I have read through the FAQ and a lot of the stuff relating to that. I have worked with hex before (I had done hex work with the original Final Fantasy I) so I'm not worried about having to watch for values (perhaps a program recommendation would be nice, though). Here is a .vbm of me running before I had read the threads on this forum using a set up for the original NES version from the speeddemosarchive forums. http://www.mediafire.com/?mwjaaaaamaa Looking back at it now it definitely looks bad and I see quite a few places where I could have done it differently. This was just a practice run though, so I don't feel too bad about it. Let me know what you think. Edit: To be clear I was using the following from this thread:
Warmech wrote:
Segment 1 (Target Time: 4 minutes) *Enter Coneria and buy and equip 4 Rapiers and 4 Chain (-360 Gold) *Kill Garland in two rounds or less (130 XP [Divided by 4], 250 Gold) *Save Princess *Talk to King and Princess *Buy Cure 1 (-100 Gold) *Return to inn and save
Signature place holder.
Local thread, NES version (FF1): http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1421&highlight= Local thread, NES version (FF2j): http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2867&highlight= NES TAS update pending publication: http://tasvideos.org/2057S.html Random encounters might be able to completely be avoided in this version if it's different, but it can take longer than just fleeing the encounter at times. The current run (on NES) uses Ftrx4, killing off three to reduce command input, remove item farming, and reduce flee time, and BaneSwds major bosses once it's available to instakill (manipulated). What are the significant differences between this and the original version?
From what I read from these two threads: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4792 http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2087 You are able to completely bypass a random encounter by stopping for a number of frames before the encounter (or something like that). This means you can go the whole game without a random encounter ever occurring. The Bane sword (renamed to "Razer") evidently doesn't work as well as it did in the original. It seems a bit more difficult to manipulate the battles once they have actually begun.
Signature place holder.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
What are the significant differences between this and the original version?
GBA version is "Easy Mode" compared to the NES/PSX versions which are/have Normal mode.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
*reads threads* However, you could just wait frames to manipulate the banesword- if it still works on the endgames, which we don't seem to know yet. Sir VG: And what about the WSC version?
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
I'm not sure on the WSC version. I still think it's Normal type, but I'm not positive. I haven't played it enough to give a definitive answer.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
IIRC the bane sword doesn't work as well in the GBA version, that was one of the issues with TAS planning.
N._Harmonik
She/Her
zdude255 wrote:
IIRC the bane sword doesn't work as well in the GBA version, that was one of the issues with TAS planning.
Oh goodie! That means the run would be more different..and more entertaining as we actually witness the Warriors of Light laying some smackdown!
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
Well, I've got a WIP here using the new team which ends at Pravoka (the second town). I manage to get through the fight with Garland without taking any damage (not that it really matters since I have to use the Inn in Pravoka anyway). You'll probably notice I jerk a little when I'm walking on the overworld. This is because I haven't gotten the stopping to avoid random encounters figured out exactly. Download the WIP This WIP is 5:37 long, 20192 frames, 203 rerecords.
Signature place holder.
Player (120)
I would be interested to see how different this would be. Like Wockes pointed out, without Bane sword it might present a fairly different solution. One helpful too is VBA Watch: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5174 Of course, you still have to find memory addresses first :S
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
I already have VBA watch, but I'm not entirely sure how to use it. I've tried adding locations to it but it doesn't work; I just get a black screen.
Signature place holder.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8