Post subject: Innovative game design!
Senior Moderator
This is a flash game made by Jason Nelson: http://www.secrettechnology.com/madethis/enemy6.html. It's called "i made this. you play this. we are enemies". It's completely awesome and has very unorthodox premise, graphics, and music. The latter I find especially great, being a fan of good music that I am. The controls and gameplay are similar to Within a Deep Forest. (Somehow I'm sure pirate_sephiroth will especially like it.) Make sure to watch the endings (all three of them), too! (fucking postmodernism)
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Post subject: Re: Innovative game design!
Editor, Active player (296)
Didn't like sending email. Well, that's... chaotic. Disturbed.
"Muffin from muffinville made a muffin from muffin meat" ...wow
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Skilled player (1404)
Heyzawha I've had fever dreams that made more sense.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Player (70)
OMG! This was totally awesome. I'll just go and call those guys in white and tell them to bring the jacked with extra long arms. :D
Banned User, Former player
what
Perma-banned
Editor, Expert player (2313)
This was random! Btw, when you jump up beneath a wall you get warped up.
I don't get it. So bad it's horrible, in my opinion.
Active player (308)
ah... that was like playing in my desktop. No surprises. The game Shinryuu posted is much better. At least it can be called 'game'. DOOMS4 (51MB)
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
It suffers from what so many other indie-games suffer from: It's extremely bland outside of being more wacky or meta then commercial games can usually afford be. Looking at it from a gameplay view, it's an extremely standard pseudo-puzzle-platformer. It's completely linear in every way. It tries way too hard to be "meta" and the god-awful "LOL SO RANDOM XD". I'm sure it's very artsy and I just "don't get it", but really, if you take away the ham-handed attempt of being postmodernist, there's no real game underneath. And... what's so unorthodox of "get to the end of each level"?
Senior Moderator
^ Fails at reading between the lines, etc.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Former player
Oh God, he made another one of these. XD Call me bizarre, but I get a huge kick out of this absurdism. So much so, I've done my own absurdist poetry, and I have my own absurdist fiction book that I've put together myself. I think it's just fun to shut your brain off every occasionally and just enjoy something bizarre for the sake of its being bizarre.
moozooh wrote:
I have a problem with stuff like that. While sometimes I can educatedly-guess that it's parody, parodying something annoying can only be equally or more annoying. I call it 'destructive humour'. I would much rather say 'postmodernism is for pretentious idiots' than add to its body by parodying it.
Voted NO for NO reason
Active player (325)
I remember playing other games this guy has made, in pretty much the similar style. I think it's meant to be randomness for the sake of randomness that makes us realize how much we feel the need to find meaning in things. I mean half the time my brain was throwing up red flags about "anti-corporate satire", but no, it's just all meaningless. I'd have to say it was amusing.
Active player (308)
All I saw was a lame flash game with a distracting background, some rough sketches and silly jokes. In fact, I felt insulted and underestimated. WHAT A MORON.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Experienced player (822)
My sister once threw up after eating a whole bunch of spaghetti... this game kinda reminds me of that.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
This game tries to break every game concept but it is in fact just a platformer. "Promising" concept but failed execution.
moozooh wrote:
So, reading what the others said, this is either a parody of the very concepts I said (in which case it stood out very badly against games who employ them normally), alternatively a satire against it (which, again, can still be mistaken for the actual thing). See, since 4chan became really popular, the whole "absurdist"/"LOL SO RANDOM XD" shtick has been so overused, there's no real amusement in it anymore. So if this truly IS a parody - Alright, but it just seems like an overzealous attempt at being zany rather than a parody. It's like nonsensical poetry which claims to spoof modernist poetry that doesn't make any sense by... not making any sense. Seen that way, it's in a way a tribute to the very thing it parodies. It becomes the same stylish lack of substance it claims not to be. Maybe I just don't get it.
FODA wrote:
This game tries to break every game concept but it is in fact just a platformer. "Promising" concept but failed execution.
Stop failing a reading between the lines!
Player (147)
The videos were the best part of the game.
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
RT-55J wrote:
The videos were the best part of the game.
BEFORE THERE WERE LEMONS
Active player (308)
http://www.karoshigame.com I wonder what this guy can do in a professional environment.
Bisqwit wrote:
Player (142)
Karoshi Owns. Especially Karoshi 1 and 2. Because 2 has a speedrun mode of 1. And according to YouTube, I'm the current record holder. Which I'm going to beat by TASing it.