Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
I made a mistake when checking hammer bros movement in overworld. It appears you need to gain 2 frames in the first level to minimize it. Anyway I did a gain a frame in the first level but it wasn't enough to avoid the hammer bros. I can't see where an additional frame could be gained in 1-1 unless the mushroom glitch can be done more optimally. Here's the [URL=http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/731116392/Super%20Mario%20Bros.%203%20%28U%29%20%28PRG1%29%20%5B%21%5D.fcm] WIP [/URL] if anyone wants to have a look at it.
Skilled player (1886)
Nice job on level 1-1. I looked around in my hard-drive and found a very short WIP of level 1-1 where I am 2 pixels and 192 subpixels ahead on frame 606. It might not be enough to save an additional frame (due to vertical position and such, and you probably want to zip through the block), but you might want to check it out, here Oh, and according to my ROM checksum, this run was made with the PRG0 ROM even though the movie file says PRG1, though my ROM names may be off. Anyway, looking forward to the next WIP. :)
Mitjitsu
He/Him
For a 10 minute run, it doesn't matter if you use PRG0 or PRG1. I did a little comparision between WIPs. The top left being your one done with the block zip at the start, your one on the bottom left (I needed to alter what you did slightly to get this position), the current published run on the top right and my WIP on the bottom-right. It's probably too difficult to spot any major differences between the picures. So I've decided to blow them up, I also put the red dots to make comparisions easier. Compared to the current published run on the top right, my WIP was 2 pixels ahead, your one was 5 and your one with the zip is 9 pixels ahead. Mario moves at 6 pixels a frame when at full running speed so there is 1.5 frames gained. Sadly when I intially tried to do the mushroom glitch I encountered all the lag problems, this is where all the problems came from gaining the frame in the last WIP, but I'm convinced there is a way to avoid it, we just have to test various different aproaches until one works. That way we can jump a frame earlier thus make the mushroom appear a frame earlier and successfully get the mushroom.
Experienced player (699)
"Taking the normal exit in 5-1 - This sacrifices a musicbox, saves a P-wing for another level, keeps firepower for the fortress, and avoids using a star in 5-7. It would have gaine a few seconds overall, but due to hammer brother placement on World 5, it is not possible to avoid them without using a musicbox because the tower is considered the same as a pipe, which the hammer brothers will not move onto." This was taken from the smb3 warpless TAS comments. for 5-1... Now, would going through the wall into the little area with the water and going down the pipe make sense? It would save a pwing and you could also get the musicbox. I'm not sure about this, but it seems like a good idea to me.
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
May be a stupid question.. I know this is the NES forum but.. Why isn't there a SMB3 SNES/Super Famicon run?
Active player (277)
http://tasvideos.org/1035M.html Should we cover the Super Mario Advance series next? I love seeing the same game with minor improvements!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Skilled player (1886)
Nitsuja made a SMB3 run for the SNES, which can be found here.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Since the thread got bumped I will say that I did try for a little while after making my last post, but the lag was too hard to avoid, it seems Mario can't be too far ahead otherwise he'll encounter lag, and it's made difficult by the fact that Mario can't gain speed when he's in mid-air. Still, if it's possible to get another frame (which I think it will be some how), then it will probably be justifiable to make a new run.
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3274)
Does anyone know if it is possible to wall-jump in this game as big-mario? How about as big mario while using a star? I am playing around trying to get it working with big mario and a star, seem to get inside the wall, but am unable to jump; possibly b/c Mario is somersaulting like an idiot? An .fcm of the feat if anyone has it would be very helpful.
Experienced player (618)
Definitely possible with big mario. Otherwise the current run would not be possible because a similar glitch is used in order to glitch through walls (you have to catch the wall in order to glitch through it). With star mario, I assume it's possible, however, it would be confusing due to the sprite.
Measure once. Cut twice.
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3274)
I've been playing around with this game for the past week or so, and found a radical route change for Bowser's palace that saves a small amount of time for the warpless run: (start watching at frame 34,600; the beginning is just the published run) http://tom.seufert.googlepages.com/lordtomsmb3wip1.fcm Hopefully you guys like it; I certainly expect some of you will be a bit surprised at the route I take, and hopefully find it more entertaining, too. ;) This WIP is *not* fully optimized, but saves 11 frames, judged by the frame on which Bowser 1st appears (frame 36377 in the published run, frame 36366 in my wip). Start watching at around frame 34k... I tried many strategies to make the wall jump faster, including duck-jumping from mid-air when mario 1st appears, but was about 4 pixels shy no matter what I did. I know I'm missing corner boosts (intentionally left out to make proof of concept more quickly), and the final screen before Bowser can likely be several frames faster. I'd like to submit an improvement based on this once I get it optimized; if any more experience mario tas'ers have advice, I'd love to hear it via pm, the forums, etc.
Skilled player (1670)
That is some awesome icing on the cake, I can tell you that. Nice.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
Yeah, great route. I'd never thought about that before!
Active player (308)
Wow, awesome route! :)
Nice new route! Something to look forward to in the next publish run.
Active player (325)
Sorry if this was already known, but I was playing SMB3 on the Wii the other day and accidentally did this, and it looks like it could maybe be useful in a 100% TAS, so I'll put it on the table. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1921995004/wand.fm2 Grabbing the wand off the top of the screen, take note of how fast the falling sequence happens.
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3274)
Cool. Not sure, but I may start working on an improved warpless SMB3 after the warped version; will definitely check it out. Can't now, tho, promised myself no more SMB3 work until Lemmings is done...
Player (36)
CtrlAltDestroy wrote:
Sorry if this was already known, but I was playing SMB3 on the Wii the other day and accidentally did this, and it looks like it could maybe be useful in a 100% TAS, so I'll put it on the table. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1921995004/wand.fm2 Grabbing the wand off the top of the screen, take note of how fast the falling sequence happens.
This is already known, and it's performed in the Mario Adventure TAS.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
do u have the movie that like u say??
Sorry for the bump but what exactly is the route Lord Tom posted
http://tom.seufert.googlepages.com/lordtomsmb3wip1.fcm
I don't have the right rom to watch the movie. I'm doing a SNES version TAS (currently in Bowser's Castle) and was just curious to what the route is cause I'm working on a different route that goes into the first door (can't get past the Thwomp)
Former player
Get http://files.filefront.com/13591126 for a sloppy encode without sound. I included the input for your reference.
LOL Why didn't I think of using a star... I feel dumb as hell. Thanks Doofy. edit: Here's my tas on the SNES (I know its the wrong topic but...). I got a time around 10:32...(I used movie maker to time so.. <___<) I started timing the first frame the world map showed to the first frame peach's room appeared... Idk if I'm timing right but this is my first TAS so don't be too hard. There are a lot of things to optimize. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AsDnsF2o0s
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3274)
Just a heads up, there should be an improved "warped" submission from myself and Mitjitsu hitting the workbench in the near future...
Skilled player (1886)
Lord Tom wrote:
Just a heads up, there should be an improved "warped" submission from myself and Mitjitsu hitting the workbench in the near future...
Awesome! I'm looking forward to it! :)
The coin ship... Does this thing appear randomly or is there something I can do to trigger it? Thanks.