Skilled player (1432)
Done!
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
mz
Player (79)
We're done too!
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Experienced player (618)
Well the results have been submitted, and there is a clear winner it appears. I will post the results when I have verified that each movie syncs. EDIT: results! And the winner is... <insert drumroll here> team 3! which consisted of mz, moozooh, Randil and dammit with final time of 11:20.22. Congratulations! In second place rolls in team 2 which consisted of Cpadolf, MUGG and TheRandomPieIV with a final time of 11:40.40. Great effort from you as well. unfortunately the trunky mofos ( FODA, Kyman and Truncated) didn't finish their submission and their final WIP can be found here Congratulations to all! Sorry there are no prizes, my pockets just aren't deep enough for that.
Measure once. Cut twice.
mz
Player (79)
andymac wrote:
And the winner is... <insert drumroll here> team 3! which consisted of dammit with final time of 11:20.22. Congratulations!
Fixed! Congratulations to both teams for finishing their movies on time. :) I had a great time watching dammit blast through the game. I've now seen what it takes to make a great TAS: a very special kind of mind and a lot of will! Unfortunately two members of our team had real-life issues and couldn't make it to the contest, and I tried TASing some levels, but my times were always literally raped by dammit's times. The whole Team 3 movie was made only by him, heh. I hope he will submit this to the site. I'm also looking forward to more contests in the future, maybe where even normal TASers can have a chance of winning. :P
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Skilled player (1432)
Aw dang :( Anyway, congratulations team 3! Out of interest I made level to level comparison of the two finished runs. Level 1 - Team 2 is 100 frames faster Boss 1 - Team 3 is 184 frames faster Level 2 - Team 3 is 241 frames faster Boss 2 - Team 2 is 70 frames faster Level 3 - Team 3 is 515 frames faster Boss 3 - Team 2 is 49 frames faster Level 4 - Team 2 is 36 frames faster Boss 4 - Team 2 is 76 frames faster Level 5 - Team 2 is 72 frames faster Boss 5 - Team 2 is 27 frames faster Level 6 - Team 3 is 394 frames faster. What kind of bullshit imba weaponry is this I see? We had you by the ass where it not for this! Well not really but still!!! Boss 6 - Team 3 is 562 frames faster Team 3 is 1211 frames faster. A a tightly planned and optimized run would probably get well below 11 minutes (and would be awesome to see).
Experienced player (574)
Whenever going into something like this I never know whether to expect to win or expect to lose, so I just don't expect anything. The first two days were spent trying to find our asses with both hands (and succeeding only partially). The next four days saw only one stage/boss per day. On Saturday morning we were only done with stage 2 and strongly considering quitting. After some pep-talk from Truncated I punched the "quit screwing around" button and 30 or so sleepless hours later, the rest is history. I can't emphasize how much my work would have sucked if it hadn't been for mz's support. He is a great source of ideas and criticism and tested things out and wrote lua scripts so I could concentrate on the grunt work. Up to the very end, he was watching micro progress reports and giving feedback. I could not have kept working had it not been for his support. I must also thank paul_t for his testruns and satan the Sega enthusiast for the insights in the game thread. When you compare the gameplay to Team 2 you can see that we won against a smarter, tighter team thanks in no small part to guileful thinking. mz's analysis of stage 3 saved a huge amount of time. We skipped the user-friendly seeking lasers and wide beam, and did something totally unexpected in stage 6. I suppose we should leave the details to a submission text?
Active player (482)
Haha, I certainly didn't expect that. Well done guys!
Senior Moderator
Sorry that I had to forfeit my participation. I didn't count on this starting so soon, so when the circumstances came around I wasn't prepared. I'm still glad to know that our team has won (even if I had nothing to do with that).
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Skilled player (1402)
Nice job. If someone is gonna make a submission, including the best of all movies, he should definately also look at the level 2 boss from Truncated's team, which is completed 264 frames faster than team 2. I also think there are frames to be saved at level 3 (when the targets appear seems random).
Skilled player (1432)
Baxter wrote:
If someone is gonna make a submission, including the best of all movies, he should definately also look at the level 2 boss from Truncated's team, which is completed 264 frames faster than team 2. I also think there are frames to be saved at level 3 (when the targets appear seems random).
I'm considering this, so thanks for pointing that out otherwise I might have missed it.
Skilled player (1886)
Congratulations on the victory team 3! And again, sorry I couldn't help out, but still, I salute you! :)
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Nice movies. I am impressed. Especially the strategy in some places is very unexpected and cool. :) And congratulations team Dammit! It seems that noone else discovered the fastest way to fly (look at the subpixels), but made it up through better playing and strategy during the stages. There is also a faster way to drop, which is not shown in our movie because I discovered it too late. If anyone is interested I can grant access to our google spreadsheet where all tricks and ROM adresses we found are listed. An email adress is needed for this.
Player (58)
Aw, I should have competed dang it. :P
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Someone on IRC was curious when I said before the game was revealed that we were already doing stuff. It was several things: - deciding who could do what at first (find ram addresses, do a testrun, find bugs) - we were planning what to do with the movie files based on our time zones. - we set up a private IRC channel with some rules. - and we set up the spreadsheets to organize the information for ourselves (with some working formulas to compare movie times thanks to truncated). This is a link where anyone can view but not edit the spreadsheet (I hope google docs keeps that promise): http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvmmLzPqKRUZdFdWeUVyRmJqSjZ0bHNldFZ2a2hyYVE&hl=en Truncated: sorry about the trick to go down faster, I used it on my first play through the game but I didn't think nobody knew about it :( It isn't really a trick, just a normal command.
how you guys did manage your time? 2-3 day for testing, finding glitch, write ram address? ...Then 4day for playing the whole game...? wow this quite hardcore! A dual/trial encode for this would be very interesthing.
Experienced player (574)
So, should the winning entry be submitted or not? Not surprisingly, some of the contestants want to go over the game again with the proper optimization treatment. I know I want to, and Cpadolf and Truncated are also interested. Anyone else? How much interest is there in a collaboration? Because I don't want to enter into a competition that never ends. PS. Thanks to andymac for being the impresario. That is an important role and you did it well.
Skilled player (1670)
I might find the idea interesting, yeah.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Skilled player (1432)
Dammit wrote:
How much interest is there in a collaboration?
I guess I'm interested it this, sounds better than to compete again for no reason.
Active player (482)
I'd be interested. I think we would get a pretty awesome move out of it.
mz
Player (79)
I made some multiple encodes syncing each movie at the start of each level: Team 3 left - Team 2 right http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U3NPSWSI (68 MB) (YouTube) Team 3 top left - Team 2 top right - Team 1 bottom center http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HX3GKWR0 (36 MB) (YouTube)
Dammit wrote:
So, should the winning entry be submitted or not?
You should submit it, in my opinion; this is an excellent game for a TAS. I know some of the levels are currently improvable, but until a new movie is made, this one is the best movie we have (and by a considerable amount of time). Even if it gets rejected or you decide to cancel it, at least we'd still have it on the official database now and it would not get lost in a third page of a forum thread, or stored in an external server. It would also let more people know about the contest. EDIT: added Megaupload links. EDIT 2: added YouTube links.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
>Truncated: sorry about the trick to go down faster, I used it on my first play through the game but I didn't think nobody knew about it :( It isn't really a trick, just a normal command. Just pressing down is not what I meant. There is a faster way to go down than to just hold down. You need to press down at a special interval.
Man, I had no idea about that shield weapon! That just completely wrecked the last level. Also neat to see how frequently times for different levels favored different teams. It was interesting to see two runs side-by-side, and there's a major advantage for this game in that the music doesn't get garbled, making it a lot more pleasant to listen to than most comparative videos. Thanks for the encodes, mz! Edit: how random is the game? Would it be remotely feasible to splice together the best levels from each team into a single run? This breaks down when e.g. the fastest time for level 3 relies on a weapon that wasn't grabbed in level 2, say. But would it work for situations where that isn't a problem?
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
For future teams, I was thinking picking the team members should be balanced by time zones. If each team consisted of members 4 hours apart, members could be testing and running while other members are at work/school or sleeping. Then they can make the most of the week they have. You get the idea.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Skilled player (1402)
But then it will be harder to communicate... I think it's more important, like Truncated pointed out, that it's possible to enter as a team. Of course, people could also enter individually... and those would be grouped together like previously. Edit: I also think it's important the date is set long beforehand, so people know if they have time then or not. It might also be a good idea to announce the console the game is for, and maybe even the genre of the game beforehand... to avoid people dropping out for those reasons.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I understand the reasons you point out Baxter, if those points outweigh mine, then the teams should instead be formed by those in the same (or closest) time zones. I think knowning the console and genre is very important too. Maybe we can make this more formal in the future.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.