Post subject: Multi-player input
I've been messing around with the concept of multi-player runs, the problem is a lot of keyboards have a hardware limitation that won't register more than 2/3 buttons pressed at the same time. Also, some emulators have input limits in their coding. I first encountered this in Megaman Battle Network 2 when I noticed my keyboard can't process [Run][Up][Right]&[frame advance] all at the same time. I got around it using auto-hold keys (which not all emulators support) but it still irks me. I know that I should probably learn to use LUA but the only solution I could find is a $130 keyboard that supports 20 inputs. Has anyone else had this issue or found a way around it?
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
As far as I am aware, most people in this situation have used auto-hold keys as you have discovered. Perhaps someone more familiar with the situation can recommend a solution which would work with emulators that do not have that capability?
Skilled player (1637)
FatRatKnight wrote an excellent script that allows you to do multiplayer input. Unfortunately, it only works in FCEUX, due to how the graphics update. At the moment, I don't know if he found a workaround for VBA. Ideally, we'd have Lua functionality that allowed input while the emulator is paused.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Banned User, Former player
Some keyboards are internally constructed in such way that certain key combinations can be all pressed at once while others can't (even if the amount of keys being pressed at once is the same). If your keyboard is one of those, then trying different remappings of the keys might give positive results. However, key autoholding sounds like a better and more convenient solution overall (after all, you just have so many fingers to control multiple characters...)
mz
Player (79)
DarkKobold wrote:
FatRatKnight wrote an excellent script that allows you to do multiplayer input. Unfortunately, it only works in FCEUX, due to how the graphics update. At the moment, I don't know if he found a workaround for VBA.
The last version posted on these forums works in FBA too; you only need to change the hard-coded NES controls. This is what I was using for a 4-player Sunset Riders TAS: http://pastebin.com/aSW91iZj (I had to create those joypad_get_fceu_style() functions.) And yes, it is really awesome once you get used to it.
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
Warp wrote:
Some keyboards are internally constructed in such way that certain key combinations can be all pressed at once while others can't (even if the amount of keys being pressed at once is the same). If your keyboard is one of those, then trying different remappings of the keys might give positive results.
Also, oftentimes the meta keys (shift, control, alt, command, etc.) can be pressed together in large numbers, while normal keys are much more limited. Way back before I got a gamepad for my computer, I used to have to rely on the meta keys to play Super Metroid at all well.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.