Publisher
Wow, awesome work!
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
Potato Stomper wrote:
Hey, I love your work and have an idea for the Super Mario Bros. movie. Couldn't you merge the levels 1 to 3 of a world? Here is an example of what I mean - I know it is not suitable for that yet! http://www5.pic-upload.de/17.08.10/d9atp1pla8lb.png
Yes absolutely! I have actually been waiting to do this with a complete run after I get a few popular games atlas'd first. So I wouldn't just stop on world 1-3... I'd try and do it through 8-4 as one giant image. For the castle levels I would either do a zoom-in effect on the door or maybe a 180 degrees spin on z-axis. Something like that anyways. Not exactly sure if I'll try this with Mario 1 first though... I'd also like to try this with the first Zelda too. Of course when it takes 4 hours for about 1 minute of footage... it gets pretty tedious.
You really need to find some way to automate this. These videos are wonderful and they shouldn't be that hard to make.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
I have a bizarre and probably impossible idea. Solstice.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
Skilled player (1402)
These movies are really great :)
You sir, are awesome. *salutes*
Gimmick!'s sixth level would make an interesting "atlas video", since it is fast-paced and has a nice map.
AzumaK wrote: I swear my 1 year old daughter's favorite TASVideo is your R4MI run :3 xxNKxx wrote: ok thanks handsome feos :D Help improving TASVideos!
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
Zeupar wrote:
Gimmick!'s sixth level would make an interesting "atlas video", since it is fast-paced and has a nice map.
Really cool music too! I'll add this to my list ;)
Dwedit
He/Him
Did anyone ever make atlas videos of games with status bars? edit: Yes, this is what happens when you post first, research later. There was a SMB3 video, but it was distracting that the coins were not eliminated from the big map.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
AndyDick wrote:
Zeupar wrote:
Really cool music too! I'll add this to my list ;)
Getting faster at this: Gimmick! Link to video
<3 The screen transitions were a bit jarring, but otherwise, stellar work as usual!
Hoe
Woohhh, that came out really good! I think the best since Metroid. Have you considered symphony of the night? That might be nuts :)
Senior Moderator
Can't stop being amazed by these! Thumbs up!
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Love Gimmik! I wonder if you can do some Sonic, maybe a level that doesn't use many glitches so Sonic doesn't go away from the camera.
Hoe wrote:
Have you considered symphony of the night? That might be nuts :)
SotN's map actually doesn't look very interesting when you can see more than one screen at a time. Most of the rooms are well-separated from each other, and when they do come close, there's often gapping that gets "fixed" by lengthening screen transitions. Hmm...seems there isn't an Atlas map for Super Metroid. A pity, that.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
Derakon wrote:
Hoe wrote:
Have you considered symphony of the night? That might be nuts :)
SotN's map actually doesn't look very interesting when you can see more than one screen at a time. Most of the rooms are well-separated from each other, and when they do come close, there's often gapping that gets "fixed" by lengthening screen transitions. Hmm...seems there isn't an Atlas map for Super Metroid. A pity, that.
Actually there is... and it's pretty cool too!
Sorry, what I meant to say is "There isn't an Atlas map for the entire game. There is one for the Space Colony and one for Norfair, but everything else is a low-res map. I think a pixel-for-pixel map of the entirety of Super Metroid would make a pretty cool poster. Seems ilke it ought, in theory, to be possible to collect the image data with a Lua script, something along these lines:
For each room:
    Load room data
    Set save state
    for x in room width:
        for y in room height:
            Move Samus offscreen (to (x - 256, y - 256)?)
            Move camera to x, y
            Emulate one frame
            Save screenshot as "%d-%d-%d.png" (room, x, y)
            Restore save state
That would get you images of all of the rooms; then it'd be a comparatively straightforward matter to crop out the HUD and stitch the room tiles together (I could write a program to do it in Perl with ImageMagick, probably take under an hour). Then there's a fairly tedious process of aligning each room with the other rooms, since as I understand it room physical locations aren't actually stored anywhere. I don't suppose anyone with more knowledge of the Super Metroid ROM than I have would be willing to write a script that would do what my pseudocode blocked out? I should be able to run the script locally in VirtualBox, so no need to worry about transferring several thousand 256x224 screenshots.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
And now here's Wizards & Warriors - Castle Exterior: Link to video
Active player (417)
Man, your collection is getting great!
Editor, Skilled player (1405)
I'd actually like to see more complete runs, perhaps even of newer systems. A newer Castlevania would be cool.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
scrimpeh wrote:
I'd actually like to see more complete runs, perhaps even of newer systems. A newer Castlevania would be cool.
Yeah, complete runs are definitely ideal. I personally keep looking at that new SMB3 TAS... And now here's Stage 6 of Jackal: Link to video
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
And here's Level 9 from Prince of Persia: Link to video Torches and doors have been animated even while off-screen.
Player (144)
Nice video. I really like the torches and doors being animated while off screen. It caused some actions to make a lot more sense (you actually see the result of running over some pressure plates).
Active player (417)
Nice game choices, man! A suggestion: some level of "Guerrilla War" TAS would be great also. http://tasvideos.org/1069M.html