This is the long-awaited entirely new movie of Rockman 2, making of which was started in March 19th 2004.
Finalfighter's comments about this movie are at: http://www.globetown.net/~rockmovie/aaa.htm
This movie is played by Morimoto and Finalfighter.
I'll skip to the thanks part:
Thanks to
  • Nori for making Famtasia
  • Norix for making VirtuaNES
  • Bisqwit for consultation in game glitches
  • blip for making the invaluable 60 fps Famtasia patch
  • Kuwata for a Rockman 2 level editor
  • Hirano for consultation in ladder and wall tricks
  • Terimakasih for consultation in "shutter technique" (?)
  • The Rockmania site
  • Rockの遊戯館 site
  • SEASIDE LABORARY site for cheat codes
  • WASP site
  • The Joytokey program
  • The Stirling binary editor program
Important note: Finalfighter explicitly forbids republishing this movie (and AVI files made of it) on commercial and advertisement-paid sites.
  • Made with Famtasia
  • Abuses luck (weapon refills, boss behavior)
  • Takes a lot of advantage of game glitches
  • Takes damage to save time
  • No warps, no passwords
A detailed commentary will be coming later (at least in Japanese).

Bisqwit: If someone manages to convert this to FCM, please contact me. I'd like to make the AVI with FCEU (because of superior emulation quality).

Former player
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
So I would assume Rockman 2 works the same way if he didn't bother to turn around.
Yeah, as soon as I posted I thought, of course they would have thought of it and they didn't do it cause it doesn't work. Oh well.
Editor, Active player (296)
kopernical wrote:
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
So I would assume Rockman 2 works the same way if he didn't bother to turn around.
Yeah, as soon as I posted I thought, of course they would have thought of it and they didn't do it cause it doesn't work.
I'd call it healthy sceptism.
I'll say yes to this video, obviously, but there are things that I like about the original video more. *shrug* So yeah, I'll be holding on to my older avi even after I download this movie when it's available.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [306] NES Mega Man 2 by Morimoto & finalfighter in 25:34.65
Active player (432)
I could not find any misstakes or a "certain place" you could improve, so therefore it was a nice run, congratulations to Finalfighter and Morimoto. But I know someone will eventually find some new "megaglitch" and improve this current run. Probably for some time.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Omg, I'm so ecxited 3 seconds left til my download is finished WEEEEE! :DDD
This attack has made my world a better place to live, I don't know how I managed to live without this attack...
In the actual Rockman 2 movie, I think you can save time, when you use the Rush-Jet in the Heat-Man level on the lava!? Every movie i downloaded from the site is laggin' now and desync' from start on, I use VideoLan Client to play the Avi-files, because my other players can't play them - any idea's? Greets; Spawn!
Spawn wrote:
In the actual Rockman 2 movie, I think you can save time, when you use the Rush-Jet in the Heat-Man level on the lava!?
Item-2 was acquired from the Airman level, which was the next level in turn. Item-1 was used a lot in Airman level, and it is acquired from the Heatman level. so there are two choices: - Use item1 in Airman level - Use item2 in Heatman level Both are not possible to accomplish in same movie. You already can guess which one is faster. Of course, you could have found this information out yourself if you had paid attention to the movie...
Spawn wrote:
Every movie i downloaded from the site is laggin' now and desync' from start on, I use VideoLan Client to play the Avi-files, because my other players can't play them - any idea's?
You need a codec which supports B-Frames properly. I believe the next poster provides a relevant solution at this.
Spawn wrote:
In the actual Rockman 2 movie, I think you can save time, when you use the Rush-Jet in the Heat-Man level on the lava!? Every movie i downloaded from the site is laggin' now and desync' from start on, I use VideoLan Client to play the Avi-files, because my other players can't play them - any idea's? Greets; Spawn!
I noticed this started a couple weeks ago, too. Go get the official DivX codec from http://divx.com and put it into Quicktime/Media Player. VLC is great for lots of stuff but doesn't keep up with the very latest codec releases.
Founding member of GerbilMechs
Active player (277)
Bisqwit wrote:
You already can guess which one is faster.
Heh, yeah, I didn't expect those blocks in HeatMan would spawn so fast.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
I've been anticipating this movie ever since I heard a new version was being worked on. I didn't bother to complain when it wasn't released when it was speculated to be. I saw it here tonight, downloaded it, and was... well, no offense to Morimoto or Finalfighter, but I'm somewhat disappointed. I realize the goal in this video was to achive the fastest possible time. An improvement of 2 minutes and 50 seconds certainly goes in that direction. However, this video, to me, felt a bit on the sloppy side. Megaman is made to jump in places that it doesn't seem he has to in order to save any time, and many of the hits taken to save time -- against Bubble Man, almost all hits within the stage stages -- appear to be laziness rather than an attempt to acomplish the goal. That may not be the actual case, but that's what it looks like to me. I have to agree that the stage order seems a little odd. It does appear to be the fastest order, however, because of the ceiling glitch It's hardly a bad run, in the end. Unfortunately, for me, it just doesn't capture the same feeling that Morimoto's original MM2 video and Bisqwit's MM1 video do.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
what are you talking about this was one of the most enjoyable time attacks i've seen, especially because its truly obvisouly a tool assisted run, the glitches are something of the extraordinary level, and the way bosses are handled.. i laughed on the last 8 bosses revisited. so fast it was. excelent work, i'm glad finalfighter took the wip and finished it.
Makou wrote:
Megaman is made to jump in places that it doesn't seem he has to in order to save any time
The only thing I can guess you are referring to are situations like this: This is a generic technique. It's idea is to maximize the falling speed when the immediate goal is to go down as fast as possible. It is faster to jump into the pit than to walk into it. If this is not what you meant, please explain. Edit: Ah, and also there were jumps involved when item1/item2/item3 were used. That's because when Mega Man throws those items, he'll stick his arm out and refuse to walk/climb for a second or two. But he can jump. It's obviously faster to jump (and progress) than to wait until Mega Man is satisfied with the look of the item he threw. Example:
Makou wrote:
many of the hits taken to save time -- against Bubble Man, almost all hits within the stage stages -- appear to be laziness rather than an attempt to acomplish the goal.
He took a hit against Bubbleman in order to be able to deliver 4 hits without having to avoid Bubbleman's shots. It is clearly faster. Also, he took hit from the big jumping robots in Flashman and Heatman levels, because the two other choices would have been to use an item1 to jump over it, or airman weapon to shrink the robot and wait a bit until it can be jumped over. Both are much slower than to take 1 hit and go.
No, that's the kind of jumping I was refering to. Another example is in Flash Man's stage. I honestly never noticed any kind of increase in falling speed at any point of a jump, which is why it seemed pointless to me. For things like the Item platforms, that much I'm well aware of. It's something I've been doing in normal gameplay for years. As for taking the hits, it's obvious that they're all taken to save time, which I noted. However, and this may just be my observation, they just look lazy rather than planned out. It may just be the nature of the game (since damage always pushes Megaman away from where it originated), but with the Joe walkers, despite the time it saves, it looks careless.
Makou wrote:
No, that's the kind of jumping I was refering to. Another example is in Flash Man's stage. I honestly never noticed any kind of increase in falling speed at any point of a jump, which is why it seemed pointless to me.
You've really never used to pause the game to reset the falling speed to zero, for example in the spike tunnel in Wily 3? If you really haven't observed Mega Man's falling speed actually accelerating instead of being constant speed, I can say you aren't very perceptive... Falling speed always starts from zero, and starts growing, the longer the fall. It's clearly a difference whether the falling speed at the level of the pit is 0 pixels/s (just walked over the edge, starting faling) or 2 pixels/s (falling down from a tall jump).
Well, I've also never really had to examine it. I'm not a speedrunner, so I've never gone looking for every little thing that could save a second here and a second there. Just to make something clear: I hope it doesn't sound like I hate this run. I don't! I think the fact that the time from start to finish in the game is shorter is fantastic. As a normal, average player of this game, the things I mentioned stuck out as odd, or whatever adjective you wish to use. Not knowing Megaman's falling speed actually increases as he falls caused the bunny-hopping to seem strange to me. I've noticed that in Spark Man's stage in MM3 (for example) that it looks like he falls faster down the shafts after the first screen, but I thought it was just an optical illusion from there being nothing on the screen except for the shaft and Megaman. Knowing that the hops do serve an actual purpose, I can appreciate this video a little more.
Fihlvein
He/Him
Makou, if you see the taking damage to save time as a lazyness of the creators, I don't think you really understand to whole idea of speedrunning at all. Of course you could stop everywhere there is a must have damage and wait to skip the damage but that would mean a loss of time in many situations, like in this Rockman movie. There might be situations where this would be preferable, for instance in no-damage runs, but this isn't a no-damage run so I really don't understand why you are complaining about taking damage, and it being lazyness of the creators.
The rare occassions of taking damage look mostly crude in this movie, but there's just no better alternative. Sometimes things are like that.
Player (36)
In Wily 4, at 20:17, would it be faster if he ran forward on the Item 2 before he jumped. I don't know if x-momentum is conserved in a jump or if it's capped. But if it is conserved he'd be able to save maybe a frame there. The only thing that nagged me about the movie.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
This run is baffling. Morimoto and FinalFighter really did an amazing job here. It is, even for the really experienced runner in tool-assisted vids, difficult to perceive any possible optimizations. There are so few places where one could possibly think that the run could be improved that the amount of those possibilities that are nulled because of them being optical deceptions is probably equal to the amount of ambiguously recorded events. Although I don't find it as impressive as Bisqwit's Rock Man movie, this is, without a doubt, a large, certain yes!
No, in MM2, jumping on a moving platform doesn't give the speed of the platform.
omeg wrote:
There are so few places where one could possibly think that the run could be improved that the amount of those possibilities that are nulled because of them being optical deceptions is probably equal to the amount of ambiguously recorded events.
After careful thinking, I understand what you say but I can't parse that sentence into a logical grammatical structure. But when I attempted rephrasing it, I finally succeeded in parsing it: There are so few places { - where one could possibly think - { - - that the run could be improved - } - that the amount of those possibilities - { - - that are nulled - - { - - - because of them being optical deceptions - - } - - is probably equal to the amount of ambiguously recorded events. - } } Now, care to tell what are "ambiguously recorded events"?
Hehe, good job. :) Even that's difficult to follow. But you put it in really good words on IRC:
[16:48] <@Bisqwit> You're saying "errors are probably illusions".
The last part of the sentence should be a little lower in the hierarchy, though, because it directly relates to what I'll call the "root" of the sentence. I also added color tags: There are so few places { - where one could possibly think - { - - that the run could be improved - } - that the amount of those possibilities - { - - that are nulled - - { - - - because of them being optical deceptions - - } - } - is probably equal to the amount of ambiguously recorded events. }
Omega wrote:
The last part of the sentence should be a little lower in the hierarchy, though, because it directly relates to what I'll call the "root" of the sentence.
Yep. Another way of parsing: are { - there - places - { - - so - - few - - where - - { - - - think - - - { - - - - could - - - - one - - - - that - - - - { - - - - - could - - - - - { - - - - - - run - - - - - - - the - - - - - - be - - - - - - - improved - - - - - } - - - - } - - - } - - } - } - that - { - - is - - { - - - equal - - - { - - - - to - - - - amount - - - - { - - - - - the - - - - - of - - - - - events - - - - - - recorded - - - - - - - ambiguously - - - - } - - - } - - - probably - - - amount - - - { - - - - the - - - - of - - - - possibilities - - - - - those - - - } - - } - } }
Ambiguously recorded events are parts in the movie (such as that 16:54 I mentioned) which seem like small mistakes the author didn't notice. Even if that's unthinkable. The "event" is in that case Mega Man jumping to the next screen, and the fact it was "ambiguously recorded" is because of that short waiting time. Think of them as "doubtful snippets" of the movie.