Post subject: picking up where you left off
Ok, im sure im just missing this completely but.... let's say im tasing super metroid, and I get tired and shut my computer off. The next day I want to pick up where I left off. Do I just watch the movie till the last frame and record from now or is there an easier way to this? I've got like six different clips of super metroid from begining till just after the speed boosters in an attempt to emulate taco and kriolas run, which makes it very annoying becouse I have to stop and switch video parts every time I play it back. Thanks in advance!!!
i wanna go fast
Editor, Player (44)
What you want to do is known as "rerecording"; you need to use a rerecording emulator (pretty much all TASes are made on them as they make things so much simpler). Basically, you make a savestate when you shut your computer off, then when you want to start again the next day or whatever, you load that savestate up again and it handles splicing together the bits of the movie for you. (The exact details vary between emulators, but ability to do that's considered vital in a good TAS emulator nowadays.)
ais523 wrote:
What you want to do is known as "rerecording"; you need to use a rerecording emulator (pretty much all TASes are made on them as they make things so much simpler). Basically, you make a savestate when you shut your computer off, then when you want to start again the next day or whatever, you load that savestate up again and it handles splicing together the bits of the movie for you. (The exact details vary between emulators, but ability to do that's considered vital in a good TAS emulator nowadays.)
Ok, im using snes9x not sure what version though, I got it of the site. What ive been doing is replaying the movie up to the last frame recorded and then hitting record from now. For some reason when I would try to continue the video from where I left off without doing it the above way I would get the savestates not from this video or something similar. End result, I have 6 different super metroid videos each picking up where the previous left off. Im going to have to start the whole project over again huh?
i wanna go fast
Player (144)
Get to the point where you want to resume recording (either by loading a savestate or playing the movie up until that point), check that it's still playing the movie, then toggle read only mode (probably shift + 8) so you can record over the movie. Then simply continue recording.
Scepheo wrote:
Get to the point where you want to resume recording (either by loading a savestate or playing the movie up until that point), check that it's still playing the movie, then toggle read only mode (probably shift + 8) so you can record over the movie. Then simply continue recording.
ok sweet. Thanks ill try it when get home! Oh one more question since I have 6 different videos if I just do what you suggested will it play from start to finish? Like video 1 through 6 or from where 6 starts and ends. And if not is there a way to run these videos together that would still make it submission legal ( although its not worthy in its current state)or even just for general purposes
i wanna go fast
Player (144)
The method I told you will result in only a single movie file. You might be able to save your current movies by splicing them together into one movie file (back them up first!). You can find programs you can splice with via the linkies in this thread.
Scepheo wrote:
The method I told you will result in only a single movie file. You might be able to save your current movies by splicing them together into one movie file (back them up first!). You can find programs you can splice with via the linkies in this thread.
Sweet thanks alot!!!!! Oh, and the way you said worked like a charm. Now im off to save my project lol thanks again!
i wanna go fast