Player (80)
Kyrsimys wrote:
Wow, you're STILL doing this? That's awesome. This has got to be the longest TAS project ever. Your first post about it is dated 02-13-05, so that's about 2 years and 8 months?
wow.. i had no idea it's been that long! i work on it a little... then i get busy and don't touch it for weeks or even months. then i get some motivation and work on it a little again. rinse and repeat a dozen times. but honestly it is so close to being complete. i am hoping to have it done by the end of the month so i can finally put this "long-term" project to rest :)
Former player
I am really looking forward to seeing this run completed. Good luck!!!
Player (80)
Alright folks. This project is finally complete and has been submitted. Hope you all enjoy it :)
I am working on a run which kills only bosses just for fun. I'm new to TASVideos and TASing in general, so I figured I'd practice. WIP which completes Level 1 can be found here. Used SNES9X 1.51.
Current Run: U.N. Squadron (SNES, U); minimum kills. WIP Segments: [1] [2]
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
That looked pretty good. A few things, though. * Georgexi's published run uses a button code to access "Gamer" difficulty, which is harder than Hard. If you hope to get this published, you should use it as well. * To save time, fully use up your special weapons so there's no refund countdown.
Previous Name: boct1584
boct1584 wrote:
A few things, though. * Georgexi's published run uses a button code to access "Gamer" difficulty, which is harder than Hard. If you hope to get this published, you should use it as well. * To save time, fully use up your special weapons so there's no refund countdown.
The gamer difficulty is already somewhat laggy in georgexi's run, and he went for maximum kills. How do you think my run will fare lag-wise when I am doing minimum? Theoretically a run with thirty-second clouds of lag happening with five seconds of cooldown time is not going to help anything. Also, thanks for that time-saving advice with the special weapons. I used it in my Air Force Base run; it also helped defeat the boss quicker, so I'm going to re-do level one's boss to accomodate this. This WIP segment has more balls-to-the-wall moments than I originally intended. That having being said, it proves to turn out amazing with minimal lag to boot.
Current Run: U.N. Squadron (SNES, U); minimum kills. WIP Segments: [1] [2]
I don't think I'm going to submit this formally because the requirements honestly make it sound like a waste of time for what I'm doing, but I thought I'd share it here for now. This is my run with the following rules: * Gamer difficulty * No Damage * Kill all > All destructibles must be killed > Does not count missiles and bombs fired by enemies > For bosses with multiple destructible parts, the parts must be destroyed before the boss. > Since destroying the large guns on the battleship Minks will sink it early, one of them must be left alive. * Conserve ammo > For ordinary vulcan fire every round must do damage to something. > For special weapons, every attack - defined as expenditure of 1 point of ammunition - must cause damage to something. That is to say, when using a gunpod, for example, not every round needs to connect, but the stream of fire must do at least one point of damage to at least one enemy. This is not a speed run, but just something I did to introduce myself to how TAS and BizHawk work. Please let me know if I broke my rules anywhere so I can correct it. http://puu.sh/wTUEW/0e793b864e.bk2 This run is using the USA/Canada version with CRC32: 231F0F67.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Looked good, if a bit plain I was wondering the whole time, why did you pick Mickey? If memory serves, the only difference between the pilots is the recovery time after taking damage (Greg>Mickey>Shin) and how fast the Vulcan upgrades (Shin>Mickey>Greg). Since you don't take any damage, wouldn't it have made more sense to pick Shin for faster Vulcan upgrading?
Mickey carries more special weapons and get a much larger boost from the special weapons powerups. I usually play as Mickey because I like to have a heavy loadout for the last two bosses and because you can make some (very little) extra cash by taking a bunch of weapons into stages with the special weapons cache and then getting the extras refunded at the end of the stage. Greg would have been worthless because of the no damage stipulation. Shin was worth considering since he gets to level 7 vulcan a lot faster, while Mickey tops out at 6 unless you redo a stage. I just figured having the special weapons would make it easier to deal with the insane stages like the cave where the kill-everything stipulation gets more difficult.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Which planes does Mickey get more special weapon ammo with? If memory serves, everyone gets more ammo with the Efreet.
Post subject: U.N. Squadron (Area 88)
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
This game is based off the manga and anime Area 88. It is an arcade shooter made by Capcom. There are three characters to choose from. Shin Kazama - He can power up quickly. Mickey Scymon - He can fire two special weapons at once. Greg Gates - He can recover quicker. Shin levels up the fastest while Greg levels up the slowest Mickey can fire another special weapon while one is being used Greg can recover faster than his fellow comrades. I say Greg is the most sub-optimal character to use 'cause he powers up slower. Mission 1 can be finished evenly between all three pilots. Bombs is a must in Mission 1 Next is Jungle > Desert > Sea The first Sky mission is necessary. The second Sky mission and Submarine is optional. Next is Canyon > Cave Gunpod and Ceiling weapons are a must in the Cave. The bonus mission (Mission EX) can be played again and again to money grind is optional. Out of the 10 missions, only 8 are required to beat the game.
Editor, Skilled player (1172)
An existing thread. An existing published movie. In case anyone feels like we've been here before. Feel free to discuss improvements. Or alternative categories. Or whatever.