Post subject: Game Resources
Former player
I have already lost this post twice, so I'm going to be brief this time (bleh). Also I'm putting it in sites instead of General, it probably fits better here. GameResources.html I think can be used for much more than it is. Right now you click on a choice of a handful of games and it takes you to what is basically GameTricks.html. I think it would be more useful for you to click a game name and get a dropdown like this
Format for master game list
Game System
 Game Name
  <Game Name English>
  <Game Name Japanese/Other>
 Websites
  <Large Fan sites>
  <Wikipedia page>
  <Tasvideos (tricks) Page>
  <Tasvideos Topic>
  <SDA Topic>
  <Gamefaqs page>
  <Other glitch/information archives>
 Runs
  Tool Assisted
   <Tool Assisted Category 1>
    <Publication page if it has one>
    <Submission Page>
    <youtube>
    <archive.org>
    <etc>
   <Tool Assisted Category 2>
    <etc>
  Console Speedruns
   <Console Category 1>
    <SDA Page if it has one>
    <youtube>
    <etc>
   <Console Category 2>
    <SDA Page if it has one>
    <youtube>
    <etc>
  Let's Play
   <Topic>
   <Video>
 Other Interesting sites/Videos
   <Link one>
   <Link two>
 Foreign Language Resources
  <Language, written in that language>
   <links>
This makes it much more useful not only to TASers, but to people simply interested in the game to go watch/read/whatever all that there is about the game. It also has the benefit of implementing The Tub Idea™ without having to alter site code. So Super Metroid can have 9 categories and it won't matter. It does not replace Movies-XYZ.html because there are no screenshots on GameResources dropdown lists. It may attract people to the site because they say "hey I want to know more about game xyz" and then someone tells them to come here because we already did the google searching for them and compiled it into a neat list. It also can be used for games that do not yet have TASing capabilities so the information is there when it does. Last time I wrote this up it was about 5x longer. gg
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
Post subject: Re: Game Resources
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1142)
Looking at this from database layout POV, the following pieces are currently available (might not have complete coverage): - Game system - Game name (english only) - Tasvideos tricks page - Submissions, and by extension: * Publications * Categories * Streams * Mirrors There are plans for other game names (JPN/EUR, variations, etc). What the current plans don't cover out of that list: * Links to other pages besides resources page. * Links to SDA runs * Other links * Foregn game resources pages
Former player
Sure it can currently all be found, if you have the patience to look for it and know it's there for the finding. Right now there is no one convenient place where I can go to find a succinct list of links to all the most useful information about a particular game. The primary purpose of having such a list in one place is that we've done the work of google searching for you, and left out all the results that aren't relevant to speedrunning or game research. The main (only?) drawback, and why this system might not work, is keeping it up would require a lot of work. Creating it for the first time for many games probably won't be so hard, but then keeping up with speedrun records and categories might be something that is not done well. Super Nintendo HGame Name HHSuper Mario World HHスーパーマリオワールド HWebsites HHsmwcentral HHmario wiki HHwikipedia HHSMW Tricks HHTASvideos topic HHSDA topics 1 2 3 4 HHGamefaqs HHneoseeker HRuns HHTool Assisted HHH96 exit 1:21:29.63 by Fabian HHHHPublication HHHHSubmission HHHHYoutube HHHHArchive.org HHH11 exit 10:20.6 by bahamete, Kaizoman666, PangaeaPanga HHHHPublication HHHHSubmission HHHHYoutube HHHHArchive.org HHHsmall mario 86 exit by PangaeaPanga HHHHPublication HHHHSubmission HHHHYoutube HHHHArchive.org HHConsole Speedruns** HHH96 exit 1:28:55 by <unknown> HHHHnicozon HHH11 exit 10:44 by yaposon HHHHnicozon HHHsmall mario 15 exit by jimsfriend HHHHgoogle video HHHHArchive.org HHH8 Castle run HHHH<whatever is the fastest> HHLet's Play HHHI'm not really into LP.. HOther Things of Interest HHvgmaps HHFusoya's Niche HHKaizo Mario World HForeign Language Resources HHI can't adequately fill out this section because I only speak english HH日本語 HHH<Japanese Link 1> **Taken from andrewg SDA topic *I didn't watch this, or even open youtube. Just googled it and took what I saw there. I just think something like that above would be very useful.
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
How about posting all lua scipts related to a given game to a separate page? Requires huge encouragement of our members XD Some are too shy to sgare scripts they consider raw.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
I like both jimsfriend and feos' ideas. If I wasn't on my crappy iPod right now, I'd implement it immediately. One question: Is this what appears after you click the link to the game, or what appears on the actual Game Resources page?
I am the future ruler of the world! My forum: http://elderyoshisisland.forumotion.com/
Former player
I think Game resources page should simply be an alphabetical list of video games by platform, like it is now. This (imo) could include games that are not currently TASable like GTA3. The link [url=]Super Mario World[/url] on the GameResources page currently brings you here. SuperMarioWorld.html should not be altered because it's linked to from many places and that specific page is what is wanted from those links (basically super mario world tricks). What I am suggesting is not what is wanted from those links. Instead, it could link to this page which would then look a lot like my previous post. /Links.html could link to feos page SuperMarioWorld/Lua.html. If this is a resource that the administration agrees with (if it doesn't work out, you can always nix it later), I think this topic would be a good place for non editors to report outdated information and/or create templates for unlisted games. As I said earlier, this would be very labor intensive; it would definitely benefit greatly from user input.
Let's not link to the current records, they'd require additional updating work as is always done here: http://tasvideos.org/MoviesList.html But linking to all submissions for a game would be perfect. All submissions contain discussion threads, where important info can be found. And all publications can be accessed via sibmission links, but surely not vice versa (as some submissions aren't published). Also, users sould share all RAM addresses they own, and we'd better have some simple way to post it, like ready table template. Some tables require just 2 columns, some - more. Data Cristal and these pages lack very much games we actually have addresses for.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
Let's not link to the current records, they'd require additional updating work as is always done here: http://tasvideos.org/MoviesList.html
Eh? Since last July, MoviesList has only needed updating when a new platform has its first publication (happened once since).
feos wrote:
But linking to all submissions for a game would be perfect. All submissions contain discussion threads, where important info can be found. And all publications can be accessed via sibmission links, but surely not vice versa (as some submissions aren't published).
There is page for each game listing publications and (most) non-published submissions (405 submissions aren't currently listed for any game) for it (e.g. http://tasvideos.org/Game-99.html for Super Mario World). In case you want to fiddle with that URL, the first ID that is valid is 1 and all IDs up to 962 (as of this writing) are valid. Adding publication files, submission threads, marking current records for similar listing wouldn't be difficult.
I mean the subsidiary pages for MoviesList. And these ID pages are awesome, I've just never seen them linked anywhere. As for unlisted submissions - are they the ones that were created post factum and contain no useful text?
feos wrote:
As for unlisted submissions - are they the ones that were created post factum and contain no useful text?
Nope, those all are rejected or canceled submissions that don't have game assigned yet. Everything published is linked with a game. One can't automatically assign the name for non-published stuff because submission game name fields are a mess.
Experienced player (512)
As someone who was once a casual viewer of TAS's, I really love this idea, as the game resource pages were usually incomprehensible/useless to me.
Skilled player (1707)
Hi! I want to create a section for GCN/Wii games, but I'm unsure if they should be grouped together or not. Any opinions?
I'd say not -- it'd be like grouping PSX and PS2 games together. Just because the Wii is more or less a souped-up, backwards-compatible Gamecube doesn't mean they're the same platform.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
jlun2 wrote:
Hi! I want to create a section for GCN/Wii games, but I'm unsure if they should be grouped together or not.
As a note, the categorization used on the page itself (except for the per system page stuff) is coded in the site code. Right now there is no explicit category given for "GC", so it gets grouped in "Other". This should presumably be fixed, but should the category be "GC" or "GC/Wii"? Or even be grouped with N64 (but that would be somewhat silly).
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Derakon wrote:
Just because the Wii is more or less a souped-up, backwards-compatible Gamecube doesn't mean they're the same platform.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3599)
Combine them for now, and if we get any significant number of pages for each, we can separate them.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects