1 2
12 13 14
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Cool to hear you picked this back up. I got hopelessly stuck at the pipe-maze level in the 7th world, I think it was. Any particular reason you're not going to announce progress?
Previous Name: boct1584
Player (172)
Any progress will be reflected there day by day, while I'm going to announce progress here when finishing a world or having some reason. Posting any minor progress here everyday would be a flood, wouldn't it? :P
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
Do you need Tool Assistance to beat this hack, or is it possible to do it without? Cause it looks like fun.
It's full well possible without tool assistance, though it's a fairly hard hack.
Cool. :3
Post subject: any%, world 4 finished
Player (172)
I wonder how often I lose motivation. Anyway here is a new wip up to the entry of World 5: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/113324243/SMW_TSRP2_Mister_W4.smv It's odd only one world make the rerecord count double. Saws Nothing special. I tried to avoid flying through most of the level but I couldn't get it. Hot Chocolate Red blocks again. I kept p-running through the first long section. In the second section, things work in my favor, and the strategy of vertical break at around frame 79850 is pirohiko's. Fireball management is harder than it looks. The flying section has a brown water layer, and lava layer in the bottom, both of which I have to avoid. Wiggler's Iceberg Nothing special other than sliding through the slope. I figured out the exact condition where it works. Maybe I'll post it in smw topic. Done. At frame 83300, there's a wiggler 256 pixels above or so. It seems like interaction with wigglers is controlled by only lower bytes of their y-positions. Rex Canyon, Grand Canyon Flying levels. There's no room to make them more entertaining I guess. Ice Temple Water level having a narrow path and a shell totally tired me out but it's a good spice to such a long run, isn't it? Ghost Train The first auto-scrolling level of this run and some tetrominos. I didn't know it was possible to spinjump on a vanishing grab block or a broken one. A notable improvement is to avoid the auto-appearing message at the beginning of boss fight by filling sprite slots. The same strategy doesn't work for a midway autoscroll. Thank you guys for your watching my live streaming while tas'ing. Enjoy it!
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
Player (172)
I finished Cheese Building #2 yesterday and I release a wip since the next level is a long autoscroller which I think will take me almost a week to finish. http://code.google.com/p/mister-tas/source/browse/trunk/Projects/SMWTSRP2/smwtsrp2-tas-mister.smv Cheese Building #1 When you look at the map of this level, you would first consider how to escape from the small room made out of activated blue blocks after switching on/off. Using the door is too costly. This is solved by the activated blue blocks ejecting mario downwards; (de)activation of blocks has a few frames of delay. Thanks to bahamete for suggesting a cornerclip at the beginning. Cheese Building #2 Trivial break. Route Planning Cheese Building #2 has a secret exit, so there are two possible routes in world 5:
  • Cheese Building #2 -> Koopa Hill #1 -> Koopa Hill #2 -> Nebula Ruins
  • Cheese Building #2 -> On and Off Cheese -> Extra #4 -> Nebula Ruins
The secret exit, however, cannot be done without the blue switch activated and obviously it's too costly to go to Blue Switch Area. Thus the route (a) wins. EDIT: I'd overlooked a way to perform downwards zipping which allows me to get to the secret exit, and I tested the secret route. According to testruns, the normal route is 350 frames faster than the secret route, while the testrun of the latter seems impossible to be optimized by 400 frames or more. Thus it is concluded that the route (a) still wins.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Thanks Mister, this run looks fantastic.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Post subject: World 5 finished
Player (172)
I've finished World 5. That was quite a tough world to tas as you can see from rerecord count. :p http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/419738450/SMW_TSRP2_Mister_W5.smv World 5 Cheese Building #2 has a secret exit, so there are two possible routes in world 5:
  • Cheese Building #2 -> Koopa Hill #1 -> Koopa Hill #2 -> Nebula Ruins
  • Cheese Building #2 -> On and Off Cheese -> Extra #4 -> Nebula Ruins
Though Extra #4 is a very short level, it's rather costly to go to the secret exit of CB2, because then we are required to go to a long watery level. Thus the first route is a little faster. Cheese Building #1 When you look at the map of this level, you would first consider how to escape from the small room made out of activated blue blocks after switching on/off. Using the door is too costly. This is solved by the activated blue blocks ejecting mario downwards; (de)activation of blocks has a few frames of delay. Thanks to bahamete for suggesting a cornerclip at the beginning. Cheese Building #2 Trivial break. Koopa Hill #1 Here comes an autoscrolling level. Nothing special other than keeping flight through the door to the last room. Koopa Hill #2 There are two enterable pipes in the first room; the left one leads to the second room that has a usual exit; the right can be entered only when the Red Switch activated (this is not the case with tool-assistance), and leads to the extra room containing a yoshi and yoshi wing as well as a pipe connected to the same exit as the left pipe explained above. Going to a yoshi wing level is about 600 frames faster than entering to the pipe in the extra room, and 1200 frames than the left pipe in the first room. In the yoshi wing level, I performed a cornerclip then downward zipping to escape from the screen. Though it looks nice, I wish there were a more convenient place to do that at. I have to mention that I couldn't make double yoshi spawning to work. He just grows twice, and there is no motion shortened. I have no idea why, but it might be because of the hack difference. Nebula Ruins This hack forbids yoshi to be taken to another level, so we can rarely perform a dragon coin glitch to save time. Now this is the first level where it is available. I love to see smooth block duplication. :P Mushroom Tower It's very arduous to optimize each room. The first one contains lots of lag makers; the second requires careful height management; p-running at the beginning of the fourth room is too costly to avoid bring take-off meter to this room; in the fifth room, I managed to remove all lag frames in spite of many lag makers and also I had a narrow escape from touching the water layer. Crazy Castle The wind blowing downward, it may be thought impossible to fly over the wall at the entrance. But it is in fact possible, because the wall is missing a block at the top. This means that the following three boring rooms can be skipped. The highlight of this level is the pinball-like map. There are consecutive three turn blocks, which don't rotate but turn into used blocks when getting hit. In addition, the consecutive two gray bricks are safe from being broken while a blue p-switch activated. These two obstructions make the situation more complicated, but things finally work in my/our favor. A gray p-switch is used to avoid munchers, and blue ones are used to boost through ceilings. A part of the strategy is ISM's idea. I made an effort toward an ecologic boss fight. The word "エコ" means "eco" = ecology or ecologic. And... I was live streaming almost all works in World 5 on Stickam Japan. Thanks to pirohiko, bahamete and ISM among others for showing their interest. And also thank you guys for your patience to read this long description. Have fun! :)
Expert player (2454)
Wow, I love your entertainment choices so much, Mister! Brilliant work in world 5 and other worlds before that. PS: Mister, I've always been your fan. I'm looking forward to seeing you finally finish this project!
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Post subject: Re: World 5 finished
I've been following and updating from the SVN for a while. Just wanted to say: even if not many people post in this thread I'm sure plenty are enjoying your work, so thanks! Also, I loved the playaround stuff in Koopa Hill #1, but I needed to comment on this:
Mister wrote:
I made an effort toward an ecologic boss fight. The word "エコ" means "eco" = ecology or ecologic. And...
...And you ended up with "エロ" instead? Hah! (for those who don't get it, that's pronounced "ero" and is short for ""erotic" or "eroticism")
Post subject: Re: World 5 finished
bkDJ wrote:
I've been following and updating from the SVN for a while. Just wanted to say: even if not many people post in this thread I'm sure plenty are enjoying your work, so thanks! Also, I loved the playaround stuff in Koopa Hill #1, but I needed to comment on this:
Mister wrote:
I made an effort toward an ecologic boss fight. The word "エコ" means "eco" = ecology or ecologic. And...
...And you ended up with "エロ" instead? Hah! (for those who don't get it, that's pronounced "ero" and is short for ""erotic" or "eroticism")
Well... the run is very sexy so that fits anyway =D
Post subject: youtube encode
Player (172)
Thank you for your comments. I'm really motivated. :) By the way I made a youtube encode so it's now more accessible: Link to video
Lil_Gecko
He/Him
Player (94)
Same here. I really love your work Mister :) I'm really waiting for the finished product.
Player (121)
Wow.. this TAS is incredible! Very awesome, and many parts had crazy tricks I've never even seen before.
Mister - You should be ashamed of yourself! This run is making me salivate so badly I flooded my house! This is the epitomy of awesome and releasing such a teaser is just so... so... NAUGHTY! In other words, I am loving it and can't wait for the submission! And maybe somewhere down the road... a 100%? I mean this is a hack that screams quality everywhere and I'd love to see more! Thank you for your harfd work on this! Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Did you watch bahamete's unsubmitted SMW: The Second Reality Project Reloaded? Try that to hold you over. Not as substantial as this because of the existence of warps (arranged in a similar fashion to SDW) but still very good.
Post subject: level descriptions of worlds 1-3
Player (172)
The following is a description for the rest of the latest wip. It might not be very accurate because Worlds 1-3 were finished two years ago. This is an any% run of TSRP2, using no eat-chuck glitch. The glitch can be done in Green Yalley to get a goal sphere, which enables us to get the normal exit in Mario Castle and takes us to the final world. See bahamete's post for his demo and opinion. I think it's fair enough to exclude this glitch so then I can show off half this hack. Besides, I avoid any cornerclips that would be used only for getting a few pixels of boost. Flying through levels is too boring to save only a few frames. Level-by-level comments World 1 Mario Castle This level looks very short? Yeah, that is indeed a secret exit, and the normal exit leads to the final world and requires that the Green Switch be activated. Let's go on a long journey to the Green Switch Palace, Power Supply! Goomba Garden Non-caped run is looking really good. At the walljump part, we have to leave some takeoff meter in order for the screen to scroll. That is why I 6/5'ed there. Goomba Cave I think that shell jumping is one of the specific tricks to a non-caped run. It is not too much to say that clever use of shell jumping determines a large proportion of its quality. I leave its full potential to restricted runs, such as small-only or almost-capeless. Monty Mountain Now we get a cape. Don't worry, it won't ruin the entertainment value very much. There would be many cape-related techniques performed throughout this run, some of which could be seen nowhere else. The vertical map (upward) is arduous to optimize well. How-to tips: manage takeoff meter carefully, and especially take care of what timing you jump and whether you refresh it or not at jumps. Green Yalley I try to avoid flying through levels as long as possible, unless I lose time, and to put full of variety into this run. I hope you like it. Kameks Magic Castle There are lots of flying techniques demonstrated in this level, which we may often encounter when optimizing flying levels. And the first boss fight! World 2 Hedgehog Hill Nothing special. I'm sorry to have shown the sonic level not much. Forest Waterway Before starting to fly at the beginning, the cape floating timer is manipulated over the small pit, which allows us to limit p-jump to smaller height. It won't hurt you to keep this technique in mind. Do not forget to get boost from a raft. The Lost Woods Nothing special. Neo Aquaria It is a shame that I made an obvious mistake at the swimming part. I should have broken the right next block. I am not sure why I did not do so, but possibly the flame could have hindered me from doing. Temple of Doom We need a shell throughout the fourth room because of the water layer, and only fireballs can break red blocks there, while they also burn shells. This can be avoided by 1/1-like inputs, since it is every other frame that a shell can be hit. I think that this red block obstruction is one of the main gimmicks that distinguish this run from other smw and sdw runs. A Colourful Night Mario flies under the level to keep his eyes from getting hurt in a colorful level. Construction Site World 2 is missing a boss, apparently. He must have run away from mario. You watched the last level before? Yeah, it's Goomba Garden of World 1 you know. This break actually saves only a little time. Cornerclipping plus downward zipping is pretty useful, for example, for escaping out of a closed room. World 3 There are two possible OW paths in World 3, branched at Rice Beach:
  • Rice Beach -> Banzai Bill Journey -> Beach Party -> Midnight Canyon -> Shyguy's Beach
  • Rice beach -> Mysterious Pyramid -> Extra #3 -> Shyguy's Beach
The first path contains two auto-scrolling maps, while the second only has two "short" levels. It is obvious that taking the second path is much faster. Buzzy's Slime Cave Mario flies under the level because he is reluctant to get his skin rough from watery slime. It is too costly to use it. Koopa Cliff It looks not so good. I wish I could have made it better. Rice Beach A key exit is so exciting huh! Mysterious Pyramid There exists an invisible wall, as well as a large pit leading to another map, in front of the goal. That is because I fly under the ground. Extra #3 Mario says, "What's that sphere, I wonder." Shyguy's Beach It is necessary for the screen to scroll high enough to go above the pipes. The Desert This level has one of the coolest breaks in this run. Cloning a block onto mario pushes him into the wall then gives rise to a downward zipping. The first map is also well performed I think. Devil's Rock The second, er the third boss. It is good fun performing such a boss fight.
Post subject: World 6 WIP
Player (172)
I've just finished World 6, and here is the latest wip. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/661971305/SMW_TSRP2_Mister_W6.smv World 6 Venom Cave Thanks for ISM's investigation on the p-switch strategy at the very beginning. Freezing the camera enables us to press a blue p-switch before it despawns into lava. It indeed despawns once (as you can see, for example, via SMWUtils), and respawns before mario gets to the right of the screen. Everything went much better than in my first plan. Sprite spawn rule is very strange. Ruined Ruins I realized in this level that torpedo's rightward speed is twice as fast as its leftward speed. We might have been to keep p-meter in the autoscrolling map to start flying immediately in the next map, so we could have lost some frames. However it would be much boring to keep on p-jumping in such a place, and I decided to make an effort toward entertainment. I didn't even examine whether that p-meter strategy would work or not. Bombs and Bullets While we are riding on an invisible yoshi, dismounting it forces us to warp to its y-position. This is one of well-known tricks, but it rarely saves time because there are few levels in which a yoshi block that can be duplicated is placed at a desired position. Recently a more advanced version of this trick is used in Vanilla Dome 3 of smw 96-exits, or in the first level of our Kaizo 3 run. So well, this trick enables us to return to the inside of the level, which put the corner-clip strategy to practical use. It saved much time at the expense of entertainment. Banzai Corridor The skip strategy at the very beginning is used again and again in this run so it doesn't surprises you any longer I guess. We had to scroll the camera because of the wooden stakes' bad timing. This level is the fourth one which has an autoscrolling part in the run. Autoscrollers always kill my motivation, and this level got me to leave this project four times. I'm very very happy to have finished the level in the end. Temple of Fire The sixth castle is well-fortified against TASers. Each room is to tough to optimize. There are a few plans to get P-run in the first map, and it seems like the most standard way is efficient. It is a little tricky to get P-run around the second door, and we are required to keep flight from the second map to the fourth because of its bad structure. The use of -1 trick at the beginning of the fifth map would activate the first bat earlier, so I had to avoid it. Ceiling-boosting two times barely saves a frame on that floor. The boss fight is quite a bit restrictive, and I tried to be as active as possible. The defeated boo falls down much slow under water, and scrolling above makes it despawn a little earlier (only 5 frames or something). The amount of scroll in the movie is sufficient. I usually streamed my TAS'ing on Twitch. A lot of people have supported me while I was working on this painful world. I'm extremely thankful to them. I couldn't have finished it had it not been for their showing interest. I hope it will make your day. Thanks! --- 居ないとは思いますが転載は禁止です。
Expert player (2454)
Wow, that's SO entertaining! Thank you Mister, you really made my day. :)
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Lil_Gecko
He/Him
Player (94)
I'm glad you got your motivation back! Your movie is really entertaining. :)
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
That was a great watch. Do you plan to submit when it's done? You have WIPs dating pretty far back, so I'm fairly sure you can prove that you started this project before SNES9X v1.43 was disallowed.
Player (172)
Thanks for your feedback. The wip will be often updated unless I leave the project again. https://code.google.com/p/mister-tas/source/browse/trunk/Projects/SMWTSRP2/smwtsrp2-tas-mister.smv
boct1584 wrote:
Do you plan to submit when it's done? You have WIPs dating pretty far back, so I'm fairly sure you can prove that you started this project before SNES9X v1.43 was disallowed.
I was planning to submit it and have already asked for a continuance. Now I fear, if anything, that I can't finish this project owing to my lack of motivation. ------ Link fixed.
Expert player (2454)
Mister wrote:
I was planning to submit it and have already asked for a continuance. Now I fear, if anything, that I can't finish this project owing to my lack of motivation.
Please stick to it if you have time. After all, you've already put so much effort into it. I enjoy your runs more than anything. :)
Player (172)
The half of World 7 is finished. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1771485979/SMW_TSRP2_Mister_W7h.smv The more I progress, the tougher levels I encounter. Wolrd 7 has a lot of very long levels, and the problem is how I keep myself entertaining. Although I am disappoined that I had to fly underneath in some levels, I am proud to show a couple of attractive strategies. World 7 Rhino-Oil There are a key block and a yoshi in the level, so we can expect the wing exit shortcut. The way to the key block looks very long, but taking the wing exit is faster than the normal exit by twenty seconds or so. There are two kinds of portable items (enemies) in the level, and a goomba has the advantage over a shell in both destroying red blocks and hitting the yoshi block. The duplication part is a little technical. The yoshi wing flies into the wall and gets a large height soon. Thus we have to wait a little for it to come down so that we can catch it. Once the tongue starts shortening, it is never stopped by getting a power-up, and moreover, we can enter the wing exit even while the power-up motion. This saves like 20 frames in this situation. Area 16B There were two plans to exit this level; the one that was not adopted in the movie is to take the route connected by three pipes, which turned out to be slower by about 35 frames. Unfortunately, the other one is to fly underneath throughout the level and it should be less entertaining. Reality Base There is nothing special, and it looks rather bad although it took me much time to finish this level. It is faster to have the take-off meter left before moving on to the third room, where we have no space to get p-run. Gravity Control You can see the yellow horizontal layer in the third room. Mario is pushed down there, but its force is weaker on either side of the layer, that is, near the pipes. Perpetual air catch is powerful enough to go across it. It turned out to be slower to regain P-meter before the door entry so as to start flying soon in the goal map. Also, 37-hopping results no gain nor loss in the last map, compared to running. Hot Ghost Cave It's the turn of invisible yoshi again. The same trick was already used in Bombs and Bullets, but there is a small difference this time. The height of invisible yoshi is too high for mario to go back into the level, and so, without any consideration, he would get caught and slain in the wall. We could put invisible yoshi lower enough, but it would cost some time. The idea is to combine downward zipping, and I managed to make the loss as small as possible. In regaining P-meter, I got a boost from the floor, which is rare to be seen because we usually go only right in SMW. I also succeeded in smoothing the sequence of two downward zipping. I love that part. It must look so great, mustn't it? In a word, everything went in my favor.
1 2
12 13 14