MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
I hope that Project64 1.7 be integrated into Bizhawk 'cause that's the only emulator that can play this hack.
darkszero
He/Him
I've played this hack before on 1.6 I believe.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
darkszero wrote:
I've played this hack before on 1.6 I believe.
How'd you get it to run in 1.6?
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
PikachuMan wrote:
I hope that Project64 1.7 be integrated into Bizhawk 'cause that's the only emulator that can play this hack.
As far as I know, the source to 1.7 is not available anywhere. Even binaries to 1.7 are only available through shady channels...
darkszero
He/Him
What exactly is the issue with running in on 1.6? Did set default memory size to 8 MB? Also, I can't get anywhere right now with neither 1.6 or 1.7 so I'm prob doing something wrong right now. Edit: Derp, my fault: you can't use slot 1 in a OoT Debug Rom.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
2.0 is released, but this and other OoT hacks won't play. If it's playable in 1.7, then WHY THE BLOODY HELL WON'T IT PLAY? We are implementing 2.0 to Bizhawk, but to hell with that, HOURGLASS IS OUR LAST RESORT. (at least until it can work in a future version)
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
PikachuMan wrote:
2.0 is released, but this and other OoT hacks won't play. If it's playable in 1.7, then WHY THE BLOODY HELL WON'T IT PLAY? We are implementing 2.0 to Bizhawk, but to hell with that, HOURGLASS IS OUR LAST RESORT. (at least until it can work in a future version)
a) It could be that the hack was made against inaccurate emulators and now that the emulator is more accurate the hack breaks because it is doing something not allowed OR there is a fault with the new version of the emulator, and if this is true you should let the devs know so they can look into fixing it. b) Is there an official wording from the BizHawk devs on adding PJ64 2.0 into BizHawk because I have not seen one?
Why would anybody add PJ64 2.0 to Bizzhawk? It's less accurate than mupen and I have read quite a ew comments that said that the recompiler is a mess.
Slowking wrote:
Why would anybody add PJ64 2.0 to Bizzhawk? It's less accurate than mupen and I have read quite a ew comments that said that the recompiler is a mess.
Blastcorp by itself is a good reason for me, although I didn't read anything about PJ64 being added, but I don't read everything.
Master of Puppets wrote:
Slowking wrote:
Blastcorp by itself is a good reason for me, although I didn't read anything about PJ64 being added, but I don't read everything.
But isn't there a thing about inacurate emulators... namely that most people here hate them? And 2.0 is really inacurate...
Slowking wrote:
But isn't there a thing about inacurate emulators... namely that most people here hate them? And 2.0 is really inacurate...
Yes, accuracy should be the top priority when choosing your emulator, but when you don't have any better, why not use what is available until something better shows its face? Taking my blast corps example, mupen doesn't emulate it better, it doesnt emulate it at all. And again, unless it was on IRC, I don't see anybody saying they are working on implementing PJ64 into bizhawk
To be fair, PJ64 2.0 can supposedly be made far more accurate depending on the plugins chosen so theoretically a set could be standardized on a game-by-game basis, as awful as that would be.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
PJ64 2.1 is the current version, but it is rather questionable as to which one to integrate into Bizhawk. Rest assured, we can only use Hourglass to TAS this game.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
PikachuMan wrote:
PJ64 2.1 is the current version, but it is rather questionable as to which one to integrate into Bizhawk. Rest assured, we can only use Hourglass to TAS this game.
Mupen64plus is currently being integrated into BizHawk, if you can run the hack in that emulator, it will most likely work in BizHawk once the core is ready.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
Mupen-rr is gonna obsoleted by BizHawk, but it doesn't matter as I tried running it in BizHawk, it crashes when entering Kakariko Village. PJ64 1.7 is the only one that can run the game.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
PikachuMan wrote:
Mupen-rr is gonna obsoleted by BizHawk, but it doesn't matter as I tried running it in BizHawk, it crashes when entering Kakariko Village. PJ64 1.7 is the only one that can run the game.
UPDATE: BizHawk 1.8.2 has been released. We can now play Zelda's Birthday and other OoT hacks.
Zelda's Birthday will still freeze in a lot of places though, because "it not good hack".
Former player
The problem with ANY hack of this game, even a good one, is the fact that all the glitches will easily allow it to be completely broken. So you would have to use a lot of arbitrary restrictions to keep it interesting and actually show off the hack. SM64 doesn't suffer from this as much, because most of the gamebreaking depends on one specific glitch (in that case, BLJ). Well, I guess just banning the shield could be effective...
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
The fastest (at least I think it is) speedrun of Zelda's Birthday doesn't use a shield.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
Why do I even bother with this? It's probably gonna be until 2.0.0 for it to be played...
I doubt it will ever play on any mupen based emulator unless the author actually fixes it.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
So, unless we can get the Project64 1.7 core implemented to BizHawk, we're pretty much up a creek.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
We could get to Ganon faster by clipping through the wall behind the bomb-able rock near Hyrule Castle.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
We have two options. Either we use Project64 1.7.0.54 and Hourglass, or we can wait until we get a new fix. There can be another unconventional method. We could take the GameCube ISO of Master Quest, edit its contents, change out the ROM image with the one of Zelda's Birthday. It reminds me of hacking Animal Crossing by switching out one NES game for another. I bet we could work it out. The filename in the iso is: urazlp_f.n64. Zelda's Birthday.z64 needs its extention changed so it will work.
Hey guess what everyone. I finally figured out why Zelda's Birthday crashes on any proper N64 emulator. Whenever the creator of the hack wanted to remove an actor from the room, rather than do the sensible thing and, you know, actually remove it, he simply set its actor number to 0001. Actor 0001 doesn't exist, so the game tries to load nonexistent data. Some emulators can power through this, after which everything is fine because the actor fails to initialize and thus is never created. But the proper behavior is a crash, as we see with more accurate emulators. So fixing it is simple: go into every room and scene that crashes and remove the 0001 actors. This would be annoying but doable by hand.