[dead youtube link removed]

feos: Accepting for Moons.
This movie uses an alternate ROM version, because gens does not emulate Serial EEPROM used in Rockman Megaworld (J) [!].gen. It also needs a movie completing the 3 remake games in a row, in order to get the Wily Tower unlocked. The verification movie was uploaded here, instructions are present.
feos: Finally publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Note for everyone: The ROM is Rockman Megaworld (J) [a1][!] Do you have a verification movie for this or the savestate that this run began from? The movie can't be played back otherwise.
My user name is rather long, feel free to call me by htwt or tape.
Player (155)
I have the savestate but I don't know how to upload it.
Using a movie file that I had previously made that completed Mega Man 1-3 on this ROM version, I was able to generate SRAM that can be used to unlock Wily Tower, as well as a save state that the run appears to sync to. Right now I'm working on trimming my movie file down so that it doesn't go into what I had ran of Wily Tower and when I'm done I will upload the movie file, SRAM, and the save state I made for everyone. EDIT: I believe these are all of the appropriate files for verification. I'm going to give this a yes vote. It's great to see this incarnation the same game breaking treatment that several other Mega Man games have received.
Do you start from file 3? If you do, you can go straight to "exit" and not have to save every time. It's a small time saver to keep in mind. I'm excited to see a run of this particular game, I've been following it for a while. Since I can't watch it on my current PC I'll hold out for an encode before I vote.
Currently working on: -Possibly the Wily Tower (Mega Man the Wily Wars)
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
The movie looks awesome. Though I have no clue about this game, why it needs a savestate and why Rockman Megaworld (J) [!].gen ROM was not used (which it does not sync on btw). Can someone explain?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
The movie looks awesome. Though I have no clue about this game, why it needs a savestate and why Rockman Megaworld (J) [!].gen ROM was not used (which it does not sync on btw). Can someone explain?
Rockman Megaworld (J) [!].gen uses Serial EEPROM to save game data, which is not supported currently by the version of Gens rerecording, but versions of Rockman Megaworld exist that use traditional SRAM to save game data instead. This is important because in order to access Wily Tower without using cheats to unlock it from the start, you have to complete Mega Man 1-3 first. Playing through all of them in a single segment does not work since the game checks for the existence of saved game clears for each game before Wily Tower is unlocked. Also, if I remember correctly, the current .gmv format doesn't store the starting savestate in the movie files, which is why you have to have a save state to anchor the movie to. It's described in a little more detail in the submission text of MarzoJr's S3&K NG+ TAS http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9958
Thanks. Now how do I check that the savestate you posted belongs to your movie?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
The savestate I uploaded doesn't actually belong to any movie, I generated it after mine finished. What I did to generate it was play back my movie, pause the emulator, reload the rom, and then save the state. I then opened jc564's movie, uncheck clear SRAM, and chose the state I saved after reloading the rom, which allowed jc564's movie to play back without issue.
yes vote all the way and I cant believe how broken this game really is btw for the 3 station of the wily tower against the boss (cant remember the name) wouldn't it be faster to use the air shooter instead of the hard knuckle I thought the damage to him was greater if you use the air instead of knuckle but I could be wrong. anyways great job on breaking the sub game in this triple pack
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
For a 16-bit Megaman game (or game pack, as it were), this is really bad quality. The music and graphics are better in the NES versions! It's like somebody took the bad elements of Mega Man 7's design and made them more prominent. However, the run is great. The zipping and boss fights look pretty well done. I'm not sure I understand how all the health bars on the bosses work though (especially the first two). I'd say this was interesting enough for a Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
A good run of a pretty bad remake of the first three Mega Man games. It looks like it's faster and easier to zip through walls in this game than in the NES games, which is interesting. Good job on this, jc564. Yes vote.
These are the videos that make me log in and watch TAS! The M-Beam still destroy realities, even in another game, hehe! Easy YES!
Come squeeze and suck the day, come carpe diem baby
It's nice to see that Megaman's lack of understanding of the purpose of walls and ceilings is continued in this impressively half-assed port. Nice work; easy yes vote. It does seem like you ought to be able to end the movie a bit earlier by firing Elecman's weapon from the ground instead of jumping. But I know some people don't care about that kind of trickery if it doesn't make the game end any faster.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
(watched encode, not emulator)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1wqYc1j2PY
Did you not use TASblend, or are Fire Storm and Magnet Beam just that much less visible in this version?
heldtogetherwithtape wrote:
feos wrote:
The savestate I uploaded doesn't actually belong to any movie, I generated it after mine finished. What I did to generate it was play back my movie, pause the emulator, reload the rom, and then save the state. I then opened jc564's movie, uncheck clear SRAM, and chose the state I saved after reloading the rom, which allowed jc564's movie to play back without issue.
That the savestate is generated independently seems to promote its integrity. Things I can guess, but could use explanation: Zipping lets you avoid boss-doors; which let you avoid boss-door animations and the freezing of Megaman during boss health fill-time. This also appears to be what prevents the boss-music cue. How you do the midair-jump on the first screen of Wily 1: I'm guessing pausing sets ground state for a frame. Things I would like an explanation of: how hitting a boss during it's life-fill animation works, and how much of the damage counts; are early hits for fun or speed? What the abnormal screen-scrolling during zipping means, and why you need to use up a lot of Magnet Beam while offscreen How clipping into walls works in this version Nasty thought: Would putting weapons into different slots save weapon selection time? Voted yes. Short, sweet, and hits the traditional megaman bas(s)es [and/or Fortes].
Active player (251)
Not familiar with this game,look at the glitch is really awesome. I'm enjoy the run,yes vote.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
But why didn't you tased the whole game?
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
TASeditor wrote:
Seems to require beating all 3 remakes.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
feos wrote:
TASeditor wrote:
Seems to require beating all 3 remakes.
So the game contains three games in one. Is the Wily Tower just a bonus level?
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
The Wily Tower is an additional set of levels to let you play around with using weapons/items from all of the first three Megaman games. But the remade Megaman games are really rather terrible (sloppy physics, massive hitstun, bad music, etc.) and we already have very high-quality TASes of the originals, so I don't see much point in rerunning them on this version.
This beats the hell out of my 13:45 run, yes vote!
Currently working on: -Possibly the Wily Tower (Mega Man the Wily Wars)
Editor, Experienced player (894)
Good to see more glitched Mega Man. Yes. Wouldn't mind seeing the remade games TASed as well, if they can be as glitchy as this run.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Nice TAS, I liked seeing the Rush Jet tricks, as they weren't present in the original NES games. Only the music in the encode seems slightly off-key, I'm not sure what that's all about. Voting yes.
scrimpeh wrote:
Only the music in the encode seems slightly off-key, I'm not sure what that's all about. Voting yes.
I'm pretty sure this is just the music being off-key in the actual game.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Derakon wrote:
scrimpeh wrote:
Only the music in the encode seems slightly off-key, I'm not sure what that's all about. Voting yes.
I'm pretty sure this is just the music being off-key in the actual game.
I was gonna chalk it up to NTSC/PAL differences, but then this is a (J) Rom apparently. I remember hearing some of the game's music online before, which also sounded off back then, so I have to guess that's the case.