On the topic of entering pipes in a glitchy manner, has anyone ever found an explanation for this glitch? EDIT: And on an unrelated note, how about this one?
Hey I'm new to this forum but all you need to know about me is I speedrun smb3 and I warped to the end credit whit the glitch here a video of my stream showing it twitch.tv/producks/c/3851663 I'm realy sorry I was not recording the inputs when it's happen but I still have the save state when the glitch happen if anyone want it.I did not use any cheat to archive that glitch all I did is the begining is hit the wrong key and my emulator speed was slower. If you have any question I'll try the best to answer...Oh and sorry for this terrible broken english
HHS
Active player (282)
Yeah, that's another way of triggering the ending scene. If you can somehow put a nonzero value into $07d8 and manage to get back to the world map, then the game will end the next time you exit a level. By the way, to be reproducible on a real NES, a run should not depend on the values of uninitialized bytes of RAM. That's why you should avoid executing past $0102.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
Zowayix: For the first one. Just to clarify, you don't need the ice blocks there to do the glitch. You can just keep jumping and holding downleft. That's how I originally found the glitch to begin with. When you do it with a pipe that takes you to an underground part of the level, such as in 3-9, 5-3 etc, Mario will go down so low that he reached the top Y-pixel of the level. He'll then start falling until he runs out of time. Though if you speed your X-speed while falling, the timer will go slower and you'll be able to land again before the time runs out. You'll then be normally at the top area of the level, though still with the camera stuck below until you go down the pipe again. So the explanation is quite faulty on that site I would say.
Interesting, I had no idea what was going on behind all of that. Is that why it takes a number of minutes to get back to the overworld screen after time runs out? I'm guessing the dead mario sprite has to fall all the way to the bottom before the screen transition finishes?
Tompa
Any
That is correct, yeah.
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
Roll credits! Encode in the works. I was able to use the leftmost piranha plants and the last 2 turtle shells handled/killed to get 20 e3 8f starting at $ae. Fiddling things so execution reaches the target point can be a beast - it NEVER would have happened without HHS's script.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
Very nice :) Yet another old Nintendo game broken Now my question is, would this attempt at 7-1 always yield the same outcome? Or would whatever you do before going to W7 influence the outcome? (I would like to see an fm2 from power-on)
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
Here's the Encode Thanks! I don't anticipate the gameplay required to get to W7 will significantly alter anything vs. this movie based on what the relevant mem addresses do, though a from-power-on movie will certainly be the gold standard. ...and once THAT's done, finding the fastest possible route will be its own challenge.
HHS
Active player (282)
This is extremely cool. As for finding the fastest route, don't forget to try Y positions as well ($20 is an obvious easy one).
Lord Tom wrote:
Here's the Encode
Whelp. So much for the SMB3 run making a lick of sense. (This is pretty cool though, I have to admit!)
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
Derakon wrote:
Whelp. So much for the SMB3 run making a lick of sense.
Indeed...and I note we're just 2 days shy of 10 years since Bisqwit started this thread! Fitting.
Lord Tom wrote:
Roll credits! Encode in the works. I was able to use the leftmost piranha plants and the last 2 turtle shells handled/killed to get 20 e3 8f starting at $ae. Fiddling things so execution reaches the target point can be a beast - it NEVER would have happened without HHS's script.
Could you make a youtube movie out of this for the speedrunners! Loving y'all work so far!
Patashu
He/Him
He already did, I'll embed it so it's more obvious Link to video
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
I was more interested in only what is needed to activate the glitch! Like you could skip all the unnecessary enemies and go for these three? We have a hard time understanding what two koopas he means.
Wow! Ending do you was discovered at last? Congratulations! I'm glad to be able to find a decent glitch.
Tompa
Any
Shouldn't there be more pipes taking you to the glitch area? Any ones higher up that are faster to take? Or will it not work perhaps? Also, is two players input required for the glitch? And nice stuff in general :).
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
2-player input is not required; I fixed the file at the link above to use only port 0. I think RAT196's original demo used Luigi so I had my emulator settings using both pads for the same keyboard input. For the speed-runners, it's interesting to even think about reproducing this. None of the steps are timing-dependent per se, but you do have to have pixel-perfect placement of 3 objects. At minimum, a lot of patience/planning would be required, but I suspect using the piranha and stopping two walking koopas on the right pixel would be doable. One would want to separate the koopas vertically enough that the first one despawns before it starts walking again. I'll clarify how each enemy is used, in the order they're killed: 1st koopa: killed at arbitrary position Top piranha: killed any position Koopa between ? blocks: killed any position Koopa walking on bent pipe: killed so despawns at x=143 (address 0xB0) Right piranha: killed totally inside of pipe, x=128 (0xAD) Left piranha: killed when x=32 (address 0xAE) Flying Koopa: stopped when x=227 (address 0xAF) Finally, Mario's x coordinate also gets executed, x=240 worked, others may also work.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Very cool, way to go! Looking forward to the eventual improvement to the published run.
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
SMB3 "Glitched" in 3:42.48 :-) Unoptimized proof-of-concept from power-on; I just hexed onto the current warps run -- no problem other than matching the x/y subpixels.
Experienced player (699)
EDIT2: My official guess is 0:03:15.xx So: 1-1 (mushroom) -> 1-2 -> castle (leaf) -> 1-3 (grab fireflower) -> whistle warp to world 2 -> whistle warp to world 7 -> glitch If fireflower isn't needed, then obviously the current TAS route to world 7 is exactly the same. Fantastic stuff!
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Skilled player (1706)
Nice! Also, "glitched"? Does that mean another branch or would this obsolete the current run? Imo I think it should obsolete the current run and an updated version of a playaround should instead be used to showcase the new discoveries made since the initial version.
Tompa
Any
I had an idea to get the Fire Flower in the fort and clip through the corner in the spike room, to reach the whistle. But it doesn't seem possible at all? I would guess that flower is faster to grab at least, if it can be worked out. Also, Andrew, there are no flowers in 1-3.
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
The fire flower is not required at all - for these demos I just used it b/c it's easier (effort-wise) to kill enemies and position shells. For an optimized run, I suspect keeping the tail after 1-Fortress will be best since there's no way to get a flower without losing seconds of time. What to do in terms of obsoletion will be a big discussion, no doubt. I haven't really put much thought into it, was just using the terminology from Rygar, which has published glitched and any% branches due to a similar sequence break.
Editor
Good god how did I miss this one? I hope Morimoto has seen this.