1 2
7 8 9
18 19
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (969)
>Now, if the file is stored like I think it is, one byte per frame, a bitmask of the buttons pressed at that frame, I could easily remove that. Care to confirm this? Three bytes per frame. Otherwise you are correct. See http://tasvideos.org/GMV.html >One, how tf did it manage to suddenly change between working and not work overnight? Did you play it from a savestate either of the two times? Did you have the correct button config? Did you have the same sample frequency? Did the file get corrupted because of harddrive failure? (very rare, but anyway) Do you have a backup? Otherwise I'm out of ideas. I have no idea why other people are getting desynchs in Gens. I've never had one. It runs like something that runs really steady.
Player (36)
Why three bytes a frame? There's only 16 buttons on both controllers... EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot about the XYZ.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Player (70)
Damnit.. Tried Phantasy Star 2 again. That desyncs as well. :( @bobxp - Try resetting your config or something.
Truncated wrote:
Did you play it from a savestate either of the two times? Did you have the correct button config? Did you have the same sample frequency?.
I think I remember exactly what happened now. The first time it desynced, I saved a savestate just before it desynced, and resumed recording from there. After I finished recording that, I played the movie back in read only, and loaded the savestate so I could watch what I did. When I played it back from the start, it desynced on MGZ2, which was nothing to do with what I had re-done. I used 3 button mode for controller 1 but 6 button for controller 2, as that's what the Sonic 2 movie (I think) used, and I'm not using controller 2. The sample frequency couldn't have changed, since I use my laptop as a server for several things including Gens, so I only have one config file, and haven't changed it since I started doing these movies.
Phil wrote:
Can you add something that auto-split AVI when reaching 2 Gigabytes? It's hard to deal with files bigger than 2 GB even if NTFS is supposed to support it, personally, I think it's bullshit.
I don't know how to check to the AVI file lenght yet. Right now, the only workaroundt is to manually pause the emu after a set amount of time, stop AVI recording, and start another AVI dump. I'll see if I can do something about it.
Player (101)
bobxp wrote:
Holy goddamn crap. I redid from the start of CNZ2 to the end of ICZ2. I watch it. It plays fine. I turn off my comp, go to bed, <insert everything else i did here>, come home and watch my movie again. It. Desyncs. On. Marble. Garden. 2. One, how tf did it manage to suddenly change between working and not work overnight? Two, how tf did me re-doing everything after the start of CNZ2 affect MGZ (which is earlier in the game)? I'm gonna have to give up doing this if this goes on. >_<
That's almost exactly what happened to me :( In my case, I think it desynched sometime right before a savestate I started at to record a big chunk of my movie. When I played back the movie from savestates, it worked, but then when I tried palying the entire movie, I discovered it was all a waste. When I reacted, I probably sounded really rude to the people working on Gens in the process, and I apologize for that. But the emulator does need tweaking. =/
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Post subject: Gens for Linux with OpenGL support
CrazyTerabyte
He/Him
Please look at this thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=2235077 Someone made an OpenGL-enabled version of Gens for Linux. I think would be good if people messing with Gens code would work together (the main source tree + OpenGL enhancements + GMV support). BTW, Gens for Windows works well under Wine under Linux, if you set 16bpp for X.
Active player (410)
Why it's written "TEST10 WIP" in the about dialog when it's 9c? Somewhat a little confusing :P
qbproger wrote:
is there a reason that the emulator goes idle and stops responding as soon as i open it?
I know this is an old question, but the answer isn't posted on this forum, so here it is. If you experience the problem described above you're motherboard is probably using an nForce chipset. The issue seems to be with the nForce IDE controller. The solution: open your Device Manager. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, change whichever nForce controller you're using to Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. After rebooting, Gens should work just fine...
Gens 3 still seems to be far from a public release so a new version of Gens Movie is coming. I already have Record new movie from now implemented and I'm adding 3 players supports
Former player
Awesome.
I repeat what Ouzo said. It's awesome what you've done for the Gens emulator. If you're making an update, can I make some other suggestions too? - Most important would be Show Input. It's very useful for reviewing movies, but sometimes also for playing. - If the above feature is implemented, a hold button would be very nice. For example for Kid Chameleon and Quackshot, you have to hold the run button all the time. - Autobackup of movie file when you start rerecording from an existing movie file. Also make read-only default in the play movie dialog. - If you are changing the file format for this relase (which I guess is a given since the current one doesn't support 3 players), save 1) the sound frequency used in the file since it has caused desynchs in a number of games, 2) the ROM checksum, and 3) the country and fps setting for the benefit of the submission scripts. BTW, I think some games, e.g Micro Machines, support 4 players. Are you taking this in consideration? - Also leaving a good portion of header unassigned for future improvements is an easy way to have forward compatibility. Maybe some easy conversion tool for old->new, but that's asking a little too much, maybe. I look forward to it already.
New version released. It's not a new file format (still backward compatible with the first release, except for 3 player support). The 3rd player take the place used by XYZ keys of Player 1/2. The file format switch will come with Gens 3 (with 8 player support)
CrazyTerabyte
He/Him
Truncated wrote:
- If you are changing the file format for this relase (which I guess is a given since the current one doesn't support 3 players), save 1) the sound frequency used in the file since it has caused desynchs in a number of games, 2) the ROM checksum, and 3) the country and fps setting for the benefit of the submission scripts.
In addition to ROM checksum, I would suggest you to add the ROM name. I think both ROM name and checksum should be suggested to the user when opening the movie file, but not forced to be the same. There could be some option like "auto-open <ROM name> when opening movie file", where ROM name stored inside movie file could be used. I don't remember which is current format, but I think the header should have: - File type number (let's say this format is number 2; if we need to add more features sotime in future, we could increment the file type number) - Header length (this way, even older versions of Gens could open newer movie files, skipping all "unknown" header info)
Truncated wrote:
BTW, I think some games, e.g Micro Machines, support 4 players. Are you taking this in consideration?
Another idea: add in header a field that describes the number of players stored in movie. This way, if we have only 1-player (or 2-player), we don't need to waste lots of space for input from unused players (like players 3 and 4). Maybe an improved version of this idea could be store which devices are connected to each input ports. So, we can have a 3-button joystick connect to player 2, while having 6-button connected for player 1. (just an example)
Truncated wrote:
- Also leaving a good portion of header unassigned for future improvements is an easy way to have forward compatibility.
I think the "Header length" field would solve this.
Truncated wrote:
Maybe some easy conversion tool for old->new, but that's asking a little too much, maybe.
I think this tool will be very useful, since this site has already a lot of movie files that should be converted easily to newer format (if needed). If newer Gens version will be backwards-compatible with older movie formats, then there is little need for conversion.
  • It would be neat if you added in another window with a slick UI that allows us to modify / navigate a savestate tree, and then build a movie along any path in the tree.
  • It would also be neat if you could have two Gens open at once.
xebra wrote:
  • It would be neat if you added in another window with a slick UI that allows us to modify / navigate a savestate tree, and then build a movie along any path in the tree.
Wh... are you trying to turn the movies into choose your own adventure games?
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
No, I think it would be very useful for making movies, since I do it manually already, but it takes FOREVER, and it's hard to keep all the numbers in my head, and it takes even longer to maintain a written tree on paper.
CrazyTerabyte
He/Him
NrgSpoon wrote:
Wh... are you trying to turn the movies into choose your own adventure games?
Good idea! It may be the inspiration for another website: "nesadventures". :) :P However, a simple GUI for the new features could be useful. I'm not sure what should be in that "new GUI window", maybe shortcuts for different speeds (50%, 25%...), a couple of buttons for re-recording and a couple of savestate slots, for easy access. Just an idea...
xebra wrote:
You mean something like that ? I though about doing something like that a while ago but I don't have the GUI style to do it. Anyway, any major developpment on Gens will have to wait until Gens 3.
Yeah, now it makes a bit more sense what you were asking. Good for testing routes and keeping track of which is the faster method.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Quite so, Jyzero.
Former player
I still can't do a Lost Vikings 3-player movie if the 2nd and 3rd player don't have any XYZ or mode buttons, so I guess it's until Gens 3 comes out?
Former player
Lost Vikings can be done with 3-button controllers. It just remaps the controls if you're using 6 buttons.
Former player
Ah, I see.
xebra> It would also be neat if you could have two Gens open at once. It's possible now too. If you get blank windows, switch render mode twice. I used two windows to compare your sonic videos before. Jyzero, the show-input thing only shows input for 1 player. It should show both of course... I don't know how it works for 3 players. Debug anything crashes the emulator, but I think that's an old problem. In any case, I think a good feature for a standalone movie window would be to show the internal variables which you chose. I don't think anyone has been digging around the memory of the CPU yet, but maybe we should start.
1 2
7 8 9
18 19