1 2
12 13 14 15 16
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
It's time for a new round of Name the Game, Truncated can't google worth shit edition. You'd think that by all I remember about these games, I'd be able to find them... Game 1: 1-on-1 3D fighting game. I'm guessing on some 64bit system or above. Played it around year 2000-2001 I think. - The game has a health bar but you do not lose automatically when it's depleted. Instead, you start to flash in a purple color for a couple of seconds, and lose the ability to attack. You can still dodge attacks. During this time the opponent must land a hard attack to win. If he fails, you gain back a small amount of health and continue. - You can also win by ring-out. It was possible to grab the ledge, and hang from it, and then drag your opponent's leg into a reverse ring-out of sorts. - You can also win by a special one-hit KO attack, which instantly knocks out the opponent even if they are blocking. - You can also win by a special counter attack, which instantly knocks out the opponent if they are in an attack animation. I remember three characters: - A female swiss fighter. She had a spinning double axe kick which could be spammed easily. - A male wrestler fighter. Had a dropkick one hit KO attack. - A clown/jester type, which wasn't playable. Appeared in some sort of challenge mode where you had to defeat 100 opponents in a row. Game 2: PC. Played around 1995-1996 maybe? 3D shooting game. In every level you played a different vehicle or object. The first level you manned a stationary turret in first person view, possibly in a winter landscape. A later level you were a helicopter, maybe in third person view. In an even later level you manned a plane, with which you had to put out fires somehow, maybe by bombing them with water. The game was very flashy, with lens flares everywhere and colorful weapons. I have a vague memory that the name was short, 4-5 letters, and a common noun.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Game 1: As noted in IRC, this game is Fighters Destiny for N64 or possibly the sequel FD2. Thanks to Cooljay and KennyMan666 who both pointed this out! Game 2: Also as noted in IRC, this game is Incoming. Thanks to Brushy for finding it! As you might notice, the title isn't a noun which is 4-5 characters long. The developer though, is Rage Software - and I'm certain that I thought Rage was the name of the game back when I played it.
Editor
I'm surprised how much you can remember about a game without remembering its name.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
There was an old PC game whose name I can't remember - The game's name was called something like "The summoner" or "The sorcerer" or so... - You walk through a tower and have to use spells. One of the first spells you learn in the game has the name "canon" and it opens locked doors. - You defeat enemies and can pick up their weapons or armor. If you carry too much you walk slowlier. I'm interested in this game mainly because back when I played it, there was an underground section with dirty water that would drain your health when you walk in it. And there was nothing there, it was just like a pointless maze..
It seems that the game I was looking for yesterday is called "The summoning" and it is for MS DOS. ( EDIT: And it looks like I was wrong about the sewers. I remembered them as a long maze with a dead end and your health would get drained continiously from the dirt water. But it seems they do lead to a later part in the game, and the alternative would be to play through a couple other mazes normally. The two FAQs on Gamefaqs seem to advise not to use the sewers. ) I played a bit through the game and it was a nice experience. But looks like the game is much longer and more for passing time (it's not really fun but I guess it would have been fun in 1990)
Although it seems that I didn't make a post about this game, I have finally found the name of a DOS game whose name I was looking for for years. "Sink or Swim" where you guide people through levels, kind of like Lemmings. The water would rise in many levels, you could use lifeboats, ... There seems to be ports for SNES and a couple other consoles.
Sticky wrote:
good work ferret warlord! ... although I dont have any idea what game you speak of. The game I am wondering about is an old computer game, circa mid 80s to early 90s. It was in complete black and white, with some gray for places as indicated by my MS Paint Masterpiece. http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/stickyman05/oldgame.jpg You collected money or gold bars or something, as well as a gun i believe. possibly some briefcases of money involved too. Some big blocks fell from the top of the screen, and they killed you instantly. also some kind of evil men tried to kill you too, but you could shoot them with the gun. It sounds to me that this game was probably elevator action, but i have not found an elevator action game where the elevators killed you and only moved down, not up. the main goal was to get something or another at the top of the screen, but i cant remember wtf it was. i will probably edit this when my memory continues to remember things.
I figured it out! Spy 's Demise was what I was looking for. Video here.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
I'm glad this topic is created! Help me to find the game on SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive 2 (I don't remember how many buttons do it support (3 or 6)). I have watched my friend playing it only once in our childhood so I don't remember much details! Second controller was broken so I don't remember if we could play together. ? - not sure It's a shooter/beat'em up/adventure with top view. At the beginning you can choose 1 of 4 (or 3 at least) men with 3 different characteristics: health (green), power (red) and ?sth? (blue). The main hero walks in levels like in Rambo 3 and beats enemies, he can find ?boxes? with weapons like bazooka or machine gun or take them from ?enemies?, can beat enemies with them if ammo ended. The storyline contains objective: save birds (probably eagles)! I looked for similar descriptions and screenshots on some sites containing enough big list of games, but still not found.
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Hi Dimon! Many aspects of the game you describe resemble The Chaos Engine (aka. Soldiers of Fortune): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK19RJL1ClI Can choose character? Check! Has bazooka? Check! Has top-down view? Check! Has birds? Nope! Or maybe it is Skeleton Krew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpZ9VahRJw Can choose character? Yeah! Has top-down view? Oh, yes! Has bazooka, maybe? Maybe. Has birds? Noooooo... Edit: Or maybe it is Arcus Odyssey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8gDJd6vkzk
I remember a game on the Commodore 64 that was played from the first person. I think you were either a robot or in a hazmat suit or something, because your default weapon was some kind of claw thing (that you could see in the now classic from-the-bottom-right FPS view). You could also get a pistol and machinegun, and wander around some kind of complex, and in some rooms there'd be other people for you to fight (and maybe interact with nonviolently too, I can't recall). I was too young to really figure out what was going on or what I was supposed to do though. The novelty of what is basically an FPS on the C64 stuck with me, though. EDIT: to be clear, though, you didn't have a full 360 view or anything like that. You could pan your view left/right, and go through doors by clicking on them or something, but each "scene"/room was strictly 2D, and I don't think you could even aim upwards.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Aqfaq wrote:
Hi Dimon! Many aspects of the game you describe resemble The Chaos Engine (aka. Soldiers of Fortune): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK19RJL1ClI Can choose character? Check! Has bazooka? Check! Has top-down view? Check! Has birds? Nope! Or maybe it is Skeleton Krew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpZ9VahRJw Can choose character? Yeah! Has top-down view? Oh, yes! Has bazooka, maybe? Maybe. Has birds? Noooooo... Edit: Or maybe it is Arcus Odyssey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8gDJd6vkzk
Nothing is :-S It's a modern game (story happens in 1960-2000) and has no fantasy or unreal things! Thanks anyway!
Patashu
He/Him
Dimon12321 wrote:
I'm glad this topic is created! Help me to find the game on SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive 2 (I don't remember how many buttons do it support (3 or 6)). I have watched my friend playing it only once in our childhood so I don't remember much details! Second controller was broken so I don't remember if we could play together. ? - not sure It's a shooter/beat'em up/adventure with top view. At the beginning you can choose 1 of 4 (or 3 at least) men with 3 different characteristics: health (green), power (red) and ?sth? (blue). The main hero walks in levels like in Rambo 3 and beats enemies, he can find ?boxes? with weapons like bazooka or machine gun or take them from ?enemies?, can beat enemies with them if ammo ended. The storyline contains objective: save birds (probably eagles)! I looked for similar descriptions and screenshots on some sites containing enough big list of games, but still not found.
Maybe it's this game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growl_(video_game) It was an arcade game but got a genesis port, the plot was that you're rangers rescuing animals from poachers, you can use rocket launchers and whips and it's a beat'em'up. And this sounds like your description of the character select: 'The player begins the game by choosing from one of four different forest rangers, each with a different amount of health, attack strength, and jumping height.'
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Patashu wrote:
Dimon12321 wrote:
Maybe it's this game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growl_(video_game) It was an arcade game but got a genesis port, the plot was that you're rangers rescuing animals from poachers, you can use rocket launchers and whips and it's a beat'em'up. And this sounds like your description of the character select: 'The player begins the game by choosing from one of four different forest rangers, each with a different amount of health, attack strength, and jumping height.'
Yeah! That's it! Thanks!
MUGG wrote:
There was a very old game for PC (DOS?) that I forgot the name of. You, as a mouse, had to push crates/stones around to trap cats. There were two types of cats, bad AI + quick and clever AI + slow. The trapped cats would turn into pieces of cheese that you could collect. The screens were connected like a maze and you could wander around freely. You had to find some sort of key and a gate for it. You would go through a very long tunnel or pipe and ended in a second maze. Enemies would be harder to beat and you had to find your friend who was trapped in a screen full of cats and solid blocks, in order to finish the game. For every cat you killed on the other screens one of those cats/blocks would disappear. On the second maze (or in general?) your cheese counter would decrease every x-th step you made and if it reached 0 it would be game-over.
This game's name is "Mice Maze" and it's from 1990, a DOS game.
Mice Maze is a challenging adventure arcade game where the objective is to find and rescue your friend the red mouse located in a maze of 36 tunnel rooms. Grab cheese for strength, TNT to blast trough walls and more in your quest to save your friend. No two games are ever the same.
Mice Men (sic) is an adventure game using the engine from Crusher. The game takes place in a maze of 36 rooms arranged in a 6×6 grid. Each room is randomly generated at the beginning of each game, so the game is different every time. Each room is full of boxes, unmovable tiles, diamonds, and two types of cats. Yellow cats are slow and purple cats are fast. Some rooms contain cheese, which you need to live, bombs, grills, cans, and holes. Instead of depleting oxygen with each step, the mouse must each cheese, and uses up one unit of cheese for every 20 steps, or whenever he moves to a different room. Bombs can be used to blow up boxes, grills are unmovable and indestructible, and cans are worth points. Entering a hole can cause you to acquire or lose bombs or cans. The boxes can be pushed if there is nothing behind them, which allows you to create a protective barrier between yourself and the cats, or to trap them. If a cat is completely surrounded so that it can't move, it disappears a piece of cheese will appear somewhere in the level. Bonus points are awarded for trapping more than one cat in the same room. Every time you re-enter a room, all of the cats will return. After scoring 10,000 points, you can begin to work on your objectives, with your ultimate goal to rescue a red mouse. The registered version allows you to save a game in progress.
Active player (434)
MUGG wrote:
MUGG wrote:
There was a very old game for PC (DOS?) that I forgot the name of. You, as a mouse, had to push crates/stones around to trap cats. There were two types of cats, bad AI + quick and clever AI + slow. The trapped cats would turn into pieces of cheese that you could collect. The screens were connected like a maze and you could wander around freely. You had to find some sort of key and a gate for it. You would go through a very long tunnel or pipe and ended in a second maze. Enemies would be harder to beat and you had to find your friend who was trapped in a screen full of cats and solid blocks, in order to finish the game. For every cat you killed on the other screens one of those cats/blocks would disappear. On the second maze (or in general?) your cheese counter would decrease every x-th step you made and if it reached 0 it would be game-over.
This game's name is "Mice Maze" and it's from 1990, a DOS game.
Mice Maze is a challenging adventure arcade game where the objective is to find and rescue your friend the red mouse located in a maze of 36 tunnel rooms. Grab cheese for strength, TNT to blast trough walls and more in your quest to save your friend. No two games are ever the same.
Mice Men (sic) is an adventure game using the engine from Crusher. The game takes place in a maze of 36 rooms arranged in a 6×6 grid. Each room is randomly generated at the beginning of each game, so the game is different every time. Each room is full of boxes, unmovable tiles, diamonds, and two types of cats. Yellow cats are slow and purple cats are fast. Some rooms contain cheese, which you need to live, bombs, grills, cans, and holes. Instead of depleting oxygen with each step, the mouse must each cheese, and uses up one unit of cheese for every 20 steps, or whenever he moves to a different room. Bombs can be used to blow up boxes, grills are unmovable and indestructible, and cans are worth points. Entering a hole can cause you to acquire or lose bombs or cans. The boxes can be pushed if there is nothing behind them, which allows you to create a protective barrier between yourself and the cats, or to trap them. If a cat is completely surrounded so that it can't move, it disappears a piece of cheese will appear somewhere in the level. Bonus points are awarded for trapping more than one cat in the same room. Every time you re-enter a room, all of the cats will return. After scoring 10,000 points, you can begin to work on your objectives, with your ultimate goal to rescue a red mouse. The registered version allows you to save a game in progress.
Is it a sequel of Rodent's Revenge?It sounds similar.
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Mice Maze appeared in 1990 for DOS. Publisher was Soleau Software. Rodent's Revenge appeared in 1991 for Windows. Publisher was Microsoft.
Soleau Software is the one-man software company of William Soleau. A prolific author of shareware, Soleau Software is known to have released 57 DOS games, 32 of which are still sold for $12 each. [Some of his games are for sale even today.] Address William Soleau 163 Amsterdam Ave Suite #213 New York, NY. 10023
Skilled player (1705)
Uh.... I remember playing this game called "Bounce" or something. It was on an old phone, and it was about bouncing an orange ball across a long obstacle course. I never managed to beat it, and searching for it appears fruitless due to its generic name. Can anyone please help? :)
The previous two or three times I searched for my forgotten games, I found them by using google image search for a long time. Maybe try searching for orange ball bounce phone ball bounce phone bounce game phone etc.
QuizmasterBos
He/Him
jlun2 wrote:
Uh.... I remember playing this game called "Bounce" or something. It was on an old phone, and it was about bouncing an orange ball across a long obstacle course. I never managed to beat it, and searching for it appears fruitless due to its generic name. Can anyone please help? :)
I believe I have what you are looking for. http://www.mobiles24.com/downloads/s/569041-m1033-bounce_128x128 It was on old Nokia phones, I played it a few times on my old 2600. I hope this is what you wanted.
Skilled player (1705)
QuizmasterBos wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
I believe I have what you are looking for. http://www.mobiles24.com/downloads/s/569041-m1033-bounce_128x128 It was on old Nokia phones, I played it a few times on my old 2600. I hope this is what you wanted.
A youtube search for "Bounce nokia" seems to indicate you're right. Thanks a lot! :)
Former player
I remember playing an old 3D adventure platformer of some kind in the later 90's, where the main character somehow reminded me of Rayman, but I think he was blueish. In the beginning of the game there were choices where you could go and one of them was a mountain of some kind, which you could slide down on a silver tray. One other place was a cave or a factory or something. If I recall correctly, there was something on fire in there. That's all I can remember. Any help finding the game will be greatly appreciated. EDIT: FerretWarlord pointed out that the game is Tonic Trouble. Thanks, FerretWarlord!
Experienced player (703)
I remember a 3D game, forgot if PS1 or PS2, I just remember that there was a beach and there was a cave.. It might be possible it's Jak and Daxter but I'm not sure :/ Any ideas?
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Going to throw it even if I'm sure it's not the game you're looking. Sly? (I don't know... A game like jak and daxter? made me think of Sly)
Experienced player (703)
niamek wrote:
Going to throw it even if I'm sure it's not the game you're looking. Sly? (I don't know... A game like jak and daxter? made me think of Sly)
lol it can't be sly I hate sly lol
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Player (36)
got4n wrote:
I remember a 3D game, forgot if PS1 or PS2, I just remember that there was a beach and there was a cave.. It might be possible it's Jak and Daxter but I'm not sure :/ Any ideas?
The original Kingdom Hearts. Starts on a beach. Then goes into the cave. This is not a serious answer.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
1 2
12 13 14 15 16