Post subject: How should rejected movie submissions be handled?
Editor, Active player (296)
I often reject movie submissions for various reasons. Most common reasons that accumulate to the decision of rejection are: - The playing doesn't look perfect (waits here and there) - The play is straightforward and provides no surprises (i.e. the player has merely solved the game, following a predefined path) - Style mistakes (excess shots, wobbling, monotonous play) My question is - what should I do with the movies that don't make it? So far, I have usually done this: - I have straight informed the author that I am not taking the movie unless it's improved (and explained how to improve it). Usually this has resulted in an improved movie. - Published it anyway if I have been bored (very rare) Phil suggested I publish those movies in fmv-only format. Currently I have made only one fmv-only publication - Yy's SMB1 run - and that's only because I think it's high quality enough but too similar to the other SMB1 run to pay the effort of encoding an AVI file. What do you all think? I would like to have only high quality movies on my site. My favourite movie so far is Morimoto's Rock Man 2 movie, and I would like to have more movies like that - not just done-as-fast-as-possible movies or played-in-a-weird-style movies.
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (769)
I think the private encouragement is good; I never thought Ghosts n Goblins could be below 10 minutes when I started doing it. However you could mention specific problems instead of just saying e.g. 'make it look better,' and praise the good things more :)
Former player
I think that includes the decision of the game you are going to play. There are some games that have no surprises at all and are boring no matter what, games that are not worth the effort because you can't do anything for them to make them look interesting, i think that an example of that is Blaster Master, though i made a movie myself of it, and posted it, i found it extremely hard and the effort was not worth it. You have to be careful with the games you choose.
G1MM3 4 BR34|C!
Former player
I think the FMV idea isn't bad, but instead of putting it on the page in FMV make a rejected movies thread, post them in there and let peoples responces decide what happens with the movies. If it sucks, people will more than happily let the person know. Along with the author could gather some extra feedback from other perspectives. I have to agree with you on the Morimoto ones. I'd rather see someone take extra time and do something amusing or just to be a smart ass compared to just running by as fast as computerly possible. Also, the River City Ransom one is also among my favorites now. Extremely pleasuring on the eyes :P I'd love to see more with more action, strange timing and things that shouldn't of happened or would never be expected instead of just blowing by and jumping over everything. This is just my opinion, I could be completely alone in feeling this way. -Me
Former player
make a section in the forum for them. It can act as a "lab" wherein we all collaborate and give insights as to exactly how the movie can improved at which specific instances. The fmv will be contained in there as well. I believe only top quality movies should be published on the main site, rejected movies will work their way up there.
This idea sounds good enough that I'll try it.
I think informing the author about rejected movie is the best thing to do. superc-timeattack-genisto.avi should have been rejected of serious over shooting.... I'm with you that publish only high quality runs. It makes everyone else try harder and of course viewers enjoy more :) Phil's idea is cool too
Former player
I like the new board idea. This way multiple users can post feedback and players can take that advice to heart.
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Active player (410)
Well there's not many games entertaining on that system.It's pretty old so dont expect to see better movie games than SMB3.It's Y I suggest it to Bisqwit.Like Renegade my friend have done it's pretty boring I know but some people want to watch it.Well thx Bisqwit for doing that move.
Games don't rust by age. They are exactly as good games now as they were when they came out. That's what I think. And if you answer this with another "lol" I'll ignore you.
Former player
what exactly do you consider old? SMB 3 was released fourteen years ago. I think that the popularity of the videos show that age doesn't determine the level of entertainment.
Active player (410)
Well Renegade was a popular game 15 years ago or so and now it seems it doesnt interest anyone .That's what I call old if you know what I mean.
Former player
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I was an NES fanatic and I never heard of Renegade until the video appeared in the Workbench forum. So I don't know how "popular" it could have been.
Active player (410)
Where do you live in America it was popular?This game was released on NES, Sega MAster system , PC and much more system like Double Dragon.
Former player
I could have sworn I justed posted in this topic about 20 minutes ago, but now I don't see my post. I don't think it would have gotten removed so I guess it never got posted for some reason, so I'll post it again and do my best to remember exactly what I said. How about this idea. Make a new page on the nes videos site and call it something like fmv archive. Put in it all the fmvs you ever got from anyone, and fmvs are small, so it wouldn't take too much space. That way everyone could see the movies they want, even if the movie would bore most people. You also wouldn't have to spend time encoding anything. It would also be very fast and easy to update the page because it would just be a very simple page with a list of all the fmvs (no need for pictures or explanations) and maybe also a title for the page.
Active player (410)
I agree with Michael Fried.A FMV zipped takes appromitely 5 ko.
Former player
Phil wrote:
Where do you live in America it was popular?This game was released on NES, Sega MAster system , PC and much more system like Double Dragon.
Popularity is not the issue here, let's not argue. The point is it's not fun to watch. Mortal Kombat was wildly popular but I don't want to watch somebody play through it. And for the record, I live in New York. ^_^
Active player (410)
It seems you miss that release but never mind its not the subject there.
Michael Fried wrote:
How about this idea. Make a new page on the nes videos site and call it something like fmv archive.z Put in it all the fmvs you ever got from anyone
Considerable - I'll think of the technical details of that.
Former player
Bisqwit wrote:
Considerable - I'll think of the technical details of that.
Why would there be any technical details? It doesn't need to be fancy, it would just be the simplest page ever. If you want to make it even easier, you don't even need a page for it, just upload all the fmvs and have an index that shows all the files in the fmv subdirectory.
Michael Fried wrote:
Why would there be any technical details? It doesn't need to be fancy, it would just be the simplest page ever.
Because I don't want to overload myself with much work. It's better if things work with less effort - preferably automatically. Things that come to my mind are file naming and distinguishing. I receive sometimes files with the same name from multiple authors and/or from the same author.
Active player (410)
Well if it's help you need i'm there.It's pretty easy to do that kind of thing and doesnt take a lot of my time.