Post subject: N64 Emulation Status?
TSA
Anybody even working on making it a reality? When you do, I have some cool TAS's planned...something like the pics below...
Spacecow
He/Him
Woah... I remember seeing some people on one forum working on replacing the textures in OoT with hi-res versions that looked amazing, but this looks more like a Wind Waker-style retexturing. Crazy. minor edit: I guess this is what I remembered seeing, only it was still in development last time I saw it. http://www.emutalk.net/high-resolution-textures-projects/26320-federellis-retexture-pack-zelda-oot-mq.html Can't wait to see what you come up with when N64 rerecording is a reality, TSA. :)
Former player
So these pictures are from an emulator? It looks awesome!
/Walker Boh
Active player (432)
MY GOD!! now that some H264 quality shit!! Wish Radix did that, thank god for Bisqwit. Yo Bisqwit, thank you, you, god bless, god speed Bissy!
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
What is holding N64 emulation back? Do we need a open-source emulator?
Editor, Active player (296)
Ouzo wrote:
Yep
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
the plugins system is what holds it back. too much configuration to do for each game, if a single configuration worked for all games, then it'd be more possible.
TSA
Yeah, unfortunately the Cel-shading is courtesy of a plugin. With playback, people would need the ROM they made (they're editing one) plus all plugins. And keep dreaming for video recording. The amount of processing power to handle what you saw above alone is beyond most PCs unless you've got a great video card. Add on processing power to handle the video capturing without frame loss...at high quality bit rates... It's still a ways off for practical consumers like myself...who don't have thousands to spend (I think 2K or less is what a PC should be, and high end gaming PCs run 3-6K).
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Anyway, i would prefer to see a original OoT TAS, not a graphic hacked one.
Emulator Coder
When recording tool assisted runs to video, you can cheat like hell, so pc hardware is irrelevant. (ie, you can produce 1 frame a day, and still get a video playing smooth at 60 fps :P)
TSA
But the playback?
TSA wrote:
But the playback?
When making the AVI, the computer creating the AVI may be as slow as it needs to be. It doesn't matter if a 20 minute AVI takes 6 days to encode. It will still be seen in 20 minutes.
TSA
I'm talking about playing it back on the emulator...as you can do now for NES/SNES runs.
Former player
AngerFist wrote:
MY GOD!! now that some H264 quality shit!! Wish Radix did that, thank god for Bisqwit. Yo Bisqwit, thank you, you, god bless, god speed Bissy!
What are you talking about?
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Zurreco wrote:
AngerFist wrote:
What are you talking about?
I second that question.
Active player (432)
H264 is a great codec. It almost produces (at least for me) the same original picture quality of a certain game. Do you understand now? Do you compute? Or do I have to draw it for you?
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
AngerFist wrote:
H264 is a great codec. It almost produces (at least for me) the same original picture quality of a certain game. Do you understand now? Do you compute? Or do I have to draw it for you?
No... what does H264 have in common with N64? And what does that all have to do with me?
Active player (432)
I was talking about the nice pic TSA inserted here. Reminded me of your encoding method-H264. Get it?
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Arc wrote:
natt wrote:
Cooljay wrote:
Former player
That is so out of left field... "TSA, I love the quality of those pictures. It reminds me of IRON CHEF BOBBY FLAY's AMAZING BBQ SKILLS!" Concordently, H.264 isn't exclusive to Bisqwit's site. He just happens to be a proprieter of that codec. Regardless, I don't mean to come off as brash, AngerFist. To get back on topic: which emulator would hypothetically be the first to harness rerecording features? As it stands, I have only tinkered with Project64, but I can't seem to input any analog control. Furthermore, how would the analog input data be recorded into the input files? Is it based on a cartesian coordinate system, or is it more of a polar coordinate system?
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
I think its like a mouse position. There's position x=0 and y=0 (which would be neutral). If you put the analog stick on x=50 and y=-50 you're moving down-right. The only difference is that the boundaries aren't in a rectangle shape, its a circle (i suppose). And i couldnt get the emulator to accept my analog stick either.
Former player
FODA wrote:
I think its like a mouse position. There's position x=0 and y=0 (which would be neutral). If you put the analog stick on x=50 and y=-50 you're moving down-right. The only difference is that the boundaries aren't in a rectangle shape, its a circle (i suppose).
That would be Cartesian Coordinates. Can anyone verify this, though?
Bisqwit wrote:
Ouzo wrote:
Yep
mupen64? I haven't messed with it too much but it seems to work.
Former player
The Mupen64 recording engine works perfectly with Mario 64 (or from what I've tested). First test on Kirby 64 had no problems either. movie test up to some mistake in Chomp's Fortress starting outside the castle put the .st and .rec files in your n64 rom directory the only advantage so far is that you can pause the emulation during recording, which is very tedious since there is no frame advance option I'm sure many people are aware of this, but just for proof here's the movie. In regards to the emulator settings used for my test recording, everything is defaulted. since it's open source it's probably best to start with this emulator, if a rerecord feature is considered I can only imagine how sublime it would look if ANY of these great games can be recorded tool-assisted.
1964 also is open source and i think it is a much better emu but it has no recording but you could copy the recording feature of mupen because both are open source
i hate sony like nothing else
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Zurreco, the analog stick works really like that, its a X axis and a Y axis, one rotate about the other.