1 2
5 6 7
Editor
yoshifan, my god. That was amazing.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
not sure if E-Dragon has an account here, so I'll post his updated TAS of GPS Link to video
AntyMew
It/Its
Encoder, Player (35)
25 second improvement... ok Shift boosts are fucking crazy
Just a Mew! 〜 It/She ΘΔ 〜
Skilled player (1706)
JMC47 wrote:
I did some basic input recordings for a project of my own on F-Zero GX and suffered no desyncs whatsoever. I wasn't TASing, but rather just doing some replay/recording stuff. I think it's rock solid, but someone should definitely try it with savestates.
I asked the TASer from the video above, and this was the reply:
Luckily the in game replay file never desynced for me so far. However dolphins input recording desyncs really fast for me. I think I need to use different settings to record input correctly.
I wonder if something is broken in savestates... I honestly would believe it.
Just a silly question, can anyone tell me how many frames it takes for the timer to jump from 06'31"963 to 06'32"033? I saw an interesting article about CRT TVs here and I was wondering how many frames delay we're experiencing by using modern TVs. Regarding the numbers for the timer that's what I could figure out from the image in the link, but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take a look at this. I tried, but my PC is very old and I can't run the emulator properly. Edit: Forget about it. Just managed to test it myself. Thanks!
AntyMew
It/Its
Encoder, Player (35)
New TAS by E-Dragon :D Link to video It doesn't look nearly as impressive as his other TASes since Hyper Speeder is a really bad car compared to Gallant Star-G4 or Black Bull, but hey, it's still a GX TAS
Patashu
He/Him
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
AntyMew
It/Its
Encoder, Player (35)
Former player
That's crazy, I can only wonder how much tighter it could get. I also like how it has a custom emblem of "TAS" on the side.
Editor
There is no God. There is no Zuul. There is only, TAS.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Patashu
He/Him
Link to video Non-TAS
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
That's pretty damned impressive
Hello ^_^)/ I want to do a full story mode TAS (maxspeed first and open later maybe). I managed to somewhat get dolphin to sync now. I got a full input file of a bit of story mode messaround on all chapters to work, but some other input files desync consistently at one specific point, so I wouldn´t say it´s rock solid. From what I discovered the desyncs only appear when you interact with AIs, because I think they have some RNG, however it can sync even with heavy AI interaction. Regarding the TAS I will probably optimize IGT, because of various reasons: 1. IGT is pretty much what only matters in the game and it is very accurate 2. If not using a file with optimal times on every chapter, I will lose time, because it will save the new record on the memory card 3. There are some strange RTA timesavers, like instantly selecting the difficulty after choosing the chapter and skipping the cutscenes by mashing A/start , that I haven´t looked into, but could be somewhat random or only frame perfect and I´m not willing to waste too much time on optimizing that, but I will of course optimize menu as much as I can. (also I don´t even know if skipping them even saves time, because noone ever timed it) So to be able to start the TAS, can someone please explain me which version of dolphin and which save file to use, to get something that can be verified ? Also I will first go to settings and adjust the controller settings to my GCC and what I´m used to (I TAS with a GCC instead of the TAS input thingie, because that would take ages). I hope there is no problem with that.
Editor
E-Dragon wrote:
3. There are some strange RTA timesavers, like instantly selecting the difficulty after choosing the chapter and skipping the cutscenes by mashing A/start , that I haven´t looked into, but could be somewhat random or only frame perfect and I´m not willing to waste too much time on optimizing that, but I will of course optimize menu as much as I can. (also I don´t even know if skipping them even saves time, because noone ever timed it)
I know that using a sub-par movie file (inputs) that unlocks everything, is OK if you use that as a base or starting point for the real TAS. That way you can skip the cutscenes in Story Mode. I did a TAS that does desync due to using cheats (From F-Zero Central). But if you get it to sync (I included the version I used in the submission notes), then you can use that as a "Clean" unlocked game. All parts, ghosts and everything else ready to go. Or you can make a sub-par movie file and unlock everything on the memory card, then make the real TAS afterwards.
E-Dragon wrote:
So to be able to start the TAS, can someone please explain me which version of dolphin and which save file to use, to get something that can be verified ? Also I will first go to settings and adjust the controller settings to my GCC and what I´m used to (I TAS with a GCC instead of the TAS input thingie, because that would take ages). I hope there is no problem with that.
From what I know, most newer versions of Dolphin are good. Just, make sure you stay with that version once you start. Sometimes, major changes to the emulator, break sync. Also, you setup the game how you like it. Me, I say we were not here for the ultra fast menu action, we are here to watch the game go fast. Fast menus are a secondary to that.
hegyak wrote:
I know that using a sub-par movie file (inputs) that unlocks everything, is OK if you use that as a base or starting point for the real TAS. That way you can skip the cutscenes in Story Mode.
The thing I meant was something different: you can skip the cutscenes before normally skipping them, so you don´t see anything of it at all ! And this one seemed pretty random to me in my speedruns. regarding the verification movie: I´m very new here, so I don´t know how stuff works exactly here. So all I need to do is having a verification movie that unlocks everything for the story mode and sets everything up for the real TAS and the TAS of course, that doesn´t start from restarting the game and the verification movie doesn´t need ot be on the same dolphin version as the real TAS ? I think I will do the verification movie quickly and see if it synces in the dolphin version I´ll use (I´ll just use one of the newer developer builds ) anyways. I think it shouldn´t take too long only for story mode.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
E-Dragon wrote:
but some other input files desync consistently at one specific point, so I wouldn´t say it´s rock solid. From what I discovered the desyncs only appear when you interact with AIs, because I think they have some RNG, however it can sync even with heavy AI interaction.
What are you doing exactly? If you play back the whole .dtm file from the beginning then you need to account for the memory card file. The memory card file is not saved in the .dtm, so the game may behave differently when the savegame is different. Make a backup of the memory card file when you start recording and replace the currently used one with that when playing back. btw, my tip for TASing in Dolphin: Save a state at slot 1 (or wherever you prefer) at the beginning of a room / level / race and disable that hotkey. Then you can not save over it and you can always play back your current work from the beginning of that room / race etc. If you encounter desyncs while doing this, then we know it's not a problem with the savegame. You may want to remove the memory card at a certain frame count to prevent the game from saving. Other than this, maybe you can contact cgn0 on twitch or crazygamenerd on youtube for help or for advice since he's the fzgx king. He may be able to tell you what is improvable and how to do something etc.
I´m very new here, so I don´t know how stuff works exactly here. So all I need to do is having a verification movie that unlocks everything for the story mode and sets everything up for the real TAS and the TAS of course, that doesn´t start from restarting the game and the verification movie doesn´t need ot be on the same dolphin version as the real TAS ?
exactly. You use a savegame as a starting point that was created in an unoptimized verification movie. However, since you're new, you might just get a 100% complete cgi from gamefaqs, put that in a memory card file and use that for now. At least that's what I would do and it's perfectly fine for a few youtube videos. I say: do that and post a few videos for us to look at for now.
MUGG wrote:
What are you doing exactly? If you play back the whole .dtm file from the beginning then you need to account for the memory card file. The memory card file is not saved in the .dtm, so the game may behave differently when the savegame is different. Make a backup of the memory card file when you start recording and replace the currently used one with that when playing back.
Yeah I´m aware of that, so I already did a backup memory card file and that might have actually caused the desync (I´m still not 100% sure though).
MUGG wrote:
btw, my tip for TASing in Dolphin: Save a state at slot 1 (or wherever you prefer) at the beginning of a room / level / race and disable that hotkey. Then you can not save over it and you can always play back your current work from the beginning of that room / race etc.
I know where the savestates are stored, so I can just copy it somewhere else, so it doesn´t get overwritten and I have one savestate slot more to work with.
MUGG wrote:
You may want to remove the memory card at a certain frame count to prevent the game from saving.
How do you do that while running the game ? I have never done that. Regarding CGN, you might not be aware of it, but I´m running GX myself and already did a few TASes (look at that GPS or OSMS TAS above for example ^^ ), but I will contact him for a few suggestions/ strats/ ideas. Also I don´t need a 100% file, as I already have one and atm I´m testing if the verification file I just did syncs ( it looks like it syncs perfectly so far ^^). anyways, thanks for your reply MUGG
Editor, Expert player (2313)
You open the config screen and set the memory card to none. Do this at a certain framecount in the movie (and do it at that framecount when playing back) and it should sync. Can you link to your TASes or youtube?
MUGG wrote:
You open the config screen and set the memory card to none. Do this at a certain framecount in the movie (and do it at that framecount when playing back) and it should sync. Can you link to your TASes or youtube?
no problem: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfkHngUPrrho4_1tsSK5bFPx0EySdAk0X also I´m on F-zero Central: http://fzerocentral.org/f0/viewladder_11.php?ladder=5&user=34276 Ok I didn´t knew you could just "remove it", but that will have to be specified in the TAS submission I guess, because that is nothing that goes with the input file then.
starting with Chapter 1: I did a bit of testing today and found out that you can get a shiftboost on a little hill on the right at the very end by MTSing into it and exit it with a sideattack (maybe even without, with more speed) on boostlaps. I tried to get a double shiftboost there, but I couldn´t get one so far, but it feels like you can squeze another one there, maybe just by going faster, but I will try this excessively in the actual TAS. The important part of getting one shiftboost, is not only that you go faster, but also might be able to get another shiftboost that you couldn´t get otherwise and keep going faster. The faster you go, the easier it is to get more shiftboosts. Regarding the capsule collection strat you want to get the inner ones in the opener and take all boostplates, as you aren´t going fast, because you have no boost. Also I might take advantage of this little trick https://youtu.be/tj22kPQeFYM?t=122 to go faster between the boostplates, but it can´t be abused too heavily, because it slows you down after a while. Regarding the TAS: I will wait a little before starting the actual TAS, because I want to make it on a more recent version of dolphin, but the current versions still have that issue when advancing frames.
So apparently the replay files dolphin creates also work on console (yes I played back my TASes and they synch up perfectly). The TASes were made on the NTSC version of the game, but you can change the region very easily with a little hex edit to make them work on PAL. If you want to see it yourself you can download my TAS replays here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-j5xoa_4Sx3LWxpWWlRSW1CT28 Also I'm thinking about making an IL TAS of Green Plant Mobius Ring. I think it should turn out very broken because the track shape allowes for many shiftboosts throughout the entire track. I already got one shiftboost to work, but I couldn't get a chain going so far, but I will work on that when I have time/motivation.
jagg2zero
He/Him
Active player (361)
A bit late posting and a few people here may have seen this already, but there's a new Snaking/Shaking TAS by CrazyGameNerd: Link to video
Experienced player (601)
Good lord man, I'm glad youtube supports 60fps. That was insanity ( ゚Д゚)
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
...what just happened?
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
1 2
5 6 7