Submission Text Full Submission Page
After narrowly surviving the horrific onslaught in Raccoon City, Claire Redfield now seeks clues in search of her missing brother, Chris. To her horror, she discovers Umbrella Corporation's insidious activities are not isolated to the remote, mid-western city. No. Something much larger is going on here. Flesh-eating zombies, horrific beasts and now Wesker, a stranger from the past haunt Claire's every move. Just how far does this twisted conspiracy extend? What is Umbrella Corporation really up to? And who is behind this bio-tech terror?

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Dolphin 4.0-6029
  • CD ID: GCDE08
  • Genre: Survival Horror

Emulator settings

• Memory Card in slot A without REC:V saves
  • Uncheck "Config > Interface > Use Panic Handlers"

Comments

Rank A

• You must give the Hemostatic to Rodrigo and save him later by Chris

Knife dodge

• When you hit with knife down in a right time, some attacks don't affect you

Skip pick up animation

• Enter to pick up zone, skip one frame without moving and press "right + A"

Noxxa: Rejecting for being suboptimal again, as outlined by several users in the discussion thread, and failing to beat real-time records.
As this is your third submission that I am rejecting for suboptimality, I am removing your ability to submit movies until you have shown to be capable of creating an optimized TAS. If you want to upload a run for feedback, please use Userfiles to upload the run and post it in the forums for feedback.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4705: Gfx's GC Resident Evil – Code: Veronica X in 1:53:25.82
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
To note, I'm skimming and comparing with the other. You learned how to button-mash, congratulations. I wonder who told you about that Still annoyed you used a memory card even when it's considered slower. You're navigating through your items improved... at the start Oh hey, the 5 minute timer started earlier on your older run. You need to explain stuff in your submission! Congratulations, you know how to shoot her... it... that thing... that Moth. That is all, someone with better knowledge on this franchise have fun.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
17208 rerecords for 1h50′ of movie, that should say it all. I thought by now his privilege to submit movies would’ve been revoked.
Spikestuff wrote:
To note, I'm skimming and comparing with the other. You learned how to button-mash, congratulations. I wonder who told you about that Still annoyed you used a memory card even when it's considered slower. Your navigating through your items improved... at the start Oh hey, the 5 minute timer started earlier on your older run. You need to explain stuff in your submission! Congratulations, you know how to shoot her... it... that thing... that Moth. That is all, someone with better knowledge on this franchise have fun.
Don't forget the dead input at the end! Edit: Oh wait, it was to bypass the "save data" screen for the memory card he shouldn't have had in. Anyway, here's a real time run from 2006 on Gamecube that beats your time by not fulfilling non-essential objectives. Enjoy. https://archive.org/details/CodeVeronicaSpeedrun
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
Hello, GFX. As Tangent and others have stated, it looks as though your second submission of this run is still unoptimized. It also looks like you're completing non-essential objectives, as well (as Tangent also linked to). At this point, it would be best if you would post future runs in its respective thread (I didn't immediately notice a thread made for Code Veronica...) before submitting to the Workbench to be judged. This way, others can check your work and provide feedback on whether or not it's optimized enough to submit. Otherwise, you're risking getting your movie submitting privileges suspended. I'd personally hate to see that happen, since you've been putting considerable effort into these multi hour-long runs (just not quite at the standards for TASVideos). Anyways, I hope you can constructively take this advice and eventually get a run made that's up to standard! I'm sure many here would look forward to eventually seeing more Resident Evil runs published.
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Active player (258)
ALAKTORN wrote:
17208 rerecords for 1h50′ of movie, that should say it all. I thought by now his privilege to submit movies would’ve been revoked.
Now, to be absolutely fair, rerecord count isn't completely indicative of run quality. Even my first submission had a worse ratio of rerecords to frames. Granted, this is a more complicated game but I don't think it's good to go completely off of that. All of that said, yeah, this is still fairly suboptimal. And all and all ars ^ said it best. (Edit) I think this might also be a better example.
Somewhat damaged.
TehBerral wrote:
ALAKTORN wrote:
Now, to be absolutely fair, rerecord count isn't completely indicative of run quality. Even my first submission had a worse ratio of rerecords to frames. Granted, this is a more complicated game but I don't think it's good to go completely off of that. All of that said, yeah, this is still fairly suboptimal. And all and all ars ^ said it best.
Also, a ridiculous amount of any RE run is loading screens. All those door transitions add up to a damn lot. The published RE run is 57:42. 37 minutes of that is loading screens. http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=369547#369547 65% of the bloody run.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Tangent wrote:
Don't forget the dead input at the end!
Oh boy! Opens YAFIE Input Dies at: 383215 - 1:46:26.92 Author Kills it at: 408349 - 1:53:25.82 Note: Input could be dead earlier but this requires me to go through Dolphin.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
TehBerral wrote:
(Edit) I think this might also be a better example.
That’s not a good example, that looks like an error that should be purged instead. I also doubt your movie is optimized considering the rerecords, but let’s not go off-topic.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
ALAKTORN wrote:
I also doubt your movie is optimized considering the rerecords, but let’s not go off-topic.
It is asinine to think or call a movie suboptimal just because of rerecord count or rerecord ratios. Some games are just simpler to run than others, some have or don't have things such as subpixels, luck manipulation, lag manipulation, multi-dimensional movement/acceleration/physics, enemy hindrance, or such to take into account. Some TASers also have different ways they use their rerecords (e.g. diggidoyo's low-rerecord two-pass method) or different ways of handling multiple movie files which can also cause rerecord counts to be inaccurate. It depends on the emulator too; with emulators with slower savestates or runtime (e.g. jpc-rr) it is natural to use rerecords more wisely and use less rerecords overall. Then there are the emulator bugs of VBA-rr and FCEUX which used to inflate and deflate rerecord counts, respectively. Bottom line: rerecord count or ratio is not at all a reliable indicator for how optimized a movie is or how much effort was put into it. You can't make any claims on optimality with just rerecord counts. But let's indeed not continue derailing the submission topic with this tangent.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Mothrayas wrote:
Bottom line: rerecord count or ratio is not at all a reliable indicator for how optimized a movie is or how much effort was put into it. You can't make any claims on optimality with just rerecord counts.
That’s your opinion, lol. I’m perfectly aware of all the variables– one of the movies I’ve been working on for, I don’t even know, 5 years by now? With off and on testing would end up as a 0 rerecord count movie when submitted here, simply because my method of TASing it has advanced to a point where rerecords aren’t even useful anymore. That’s not to say that you can’t very easily judge the quality of a bad movie based on the rerecord count, though, and there have been hundreds of such examples by newbie TASers and their submissions here. Regardless of that, TehBerral actually brought up a valid issue– what’s up with the 3 rerecord count of this publication? http://tasvideos.org/4673S.html It looks like a mistake and should be fixed. Edit: OK I just wanted to show this: http://tasvideos.org/4702S.html That’s usually the mark of a good TASer. :p
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
ALAKTORN wrote:
Regardless of that, TehBerral actually brought up a valid issue– what’s up with the 3 rerecord count of this publication? http://tasvideos.org/4673S.html It looks like a mistake and should be fixed.
It's intentional and explained in the thread. Archanfel was using an input editor that doesn't add re-records... And that's yet another reason why rerecords aren't an accurate measure of quality.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Samsara wrote:
It's intentional and explained in the thread. Archanfel was using an input editor that doesn't add re-records... And that's yet another reason why rerecords aren't an accurate measure of quality.
In that case it’s normal procedure to remove the rerecord count. As I said, it’s a mistake and it should be fixed by editing it to 0.
Skilled player (1436)
ALAKTORN wrote:
As I said, it’s a mistake and it should be fixed by editing it to 0.
@ALAKTORN Hands off Vikings, this movie was literally written in TAS editor without using re-records in the traditional view. 3 rarest real re-records was used only at very difficult jump in level JNKR, and there are no reason to fix it to 0. Back on topic:
ALAKTORN wrote:
I thought by now his privilege to submit movies would’ve been revoked.
Not be so cruel about privileges, 3D games like Resident Evil are too difficult for first tas attempts, so it is not a surprise that his movies are obviously-suboptimal. But give him yet a chance and may be in future gfx will do for us many interesting and well-optimised tases.
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Active player (258)
If we could get back on point, alas this TAS is still fairly suboptimal in various ways. But if nothing else gfx is certainly more ambitious than I was (or am) in taking on TASes of hour+ 3D games and I'd like to see his full potential. By the way, I still wonder how no one has touched this or RE2 yet
Somewhat damaged.
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
As I noticed from the other submissions, this is again suboptimal. If you are new, then might I suggest taking your time on working on this? It'd help in the long run. Abstaining my vote.
Current projects: failing at life
Tangent wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
To note, I'm skimming and comparing with the other. You learned how to button-mash, congratulations. I wonder who told you about that Still annoyed you used a memory card even when it's considered slower. Your navigating through your items improved... at the start Oh hey, the 5 minute timer started earlier on your older run. You need to explain stuff in your submission! Congratulations, you know how to shoot her... it... that thing... that Moth. That is all, someone with better knowledge on this franchise have fun.
Don't forget the dead input at the end! Edit: Oh wait, it was to bypass the "save data" screen for the memory card he shouldn't have had in. Anyway, here's a real time run from 2006 on Gamecube that beats your time by not fulfilling non-essential objectives. Enjoy. https://archive.org/details/CodeVeronicaSpeedrun
Was the mentioned objective the one to get the A rank by giving the hemostatic to Rotrigo and then saving him with Chris? Or was this another thing he did which didn't effect the ranking during the video? As getting "A rank" on its own I would say is a bonus but not important for a TAS unless it adds a "best ending" which I don't recall it doing. I'd argue A rank is definitely great to have if you can as a nice bonus, however if it wastes time it should be ignored. For example if for some reason you need to take damage to save time and can save the most time by using a first aid spray, then use it and lose the A rank for faster speed. So taking a few minutes to save some random guy for the A rank is definitely a no go UNLESS it gives a best ending. I honestly don't know if he effects the ending at all since I always rescued him and then I think let him die due to the worm because I sucked. But I can't imagine he changes the ending. Sure saving him is definitely the "nice guy" thing to do, and I sure we would all love that to happen. But the TAS protagonist doesn't care for being nice if it costs them time! I haven't checked the speedrunning nature of this game though but I heavily doubt they care to save him? My biggest question with this run is the fact it is the directors cut version. Do we want a run of the basic game on Dreamcast or the extra content version of the directors cut? As having the extra content likely adds time to the game thus makes the run longer even if it is only a few cutscenes to skip (let's face it Wesker cutscenes was basically all it brought to the table) or was the game fine tuned to a point where it is quicker on loading screens and stuff thus saving a load of time? Which version of the game should be TASed you think?
Enjoys speedruns but hasn't actually tried making any yet.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!
Post subject: I blame this on twitch not notifying me about this message.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Carcinogen wrote:
There's some interesting concepts, but he went out of his way to get an A rank; for speed it's shit (all it is is a few extra rooms and an extra zombie dodge) and adds overall nothing to the entertainment value. Consulting the current WR holder, uhTrance, he also points out that he gets the BOW Gas, which is too long vs. Tyrant especially if you just use the stupid Playing Manual glitch. Also, I should note that the GCN version has a faster segmented run: http://www.speedrun.com/run/57211
WebNations/Sabih wrote: