If a billionaire spent $20k every day, he'd run out of money in 137 years. This is of course assuming that he doesn't do anything with that money; if it were invested at a 3% annual interest rate (which is absolutely pathetic), he'd be gaining $6 million every year, or $165k every day. So, spending money at that rate isn't likely to be a problem for him.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Active player (405)
Derakon wrote:
If a billionaire spent $20k every day, he'd run out of money in 137 years. This is of course assuming that he doesn't do anything with that money; if it were invested at a 3% annual interest rate (which is absolutely pathetic), he'd be gaining $6 million every year, or $165k every day. So, spending money at that rate isn't likely to be a problem for him.
That wasn't my point. Spending $20k a day isn't a problem if that's all you spend, but if you're willing to spend that much money on a TAS what else are you going to spend money? Why do most people who win the lottery end up going bankrupt? Because they're not used to managing large amounts of money. When you have a lot of money there's lots and lots of pressure to spend it all on frivolous things and most people who are not used to that kind of lifestyle tend to overspend until it's all gone. Even a billion dollars can be spent if you're not careful.
Well, that's fair. I'd like to think that I'd remain basically sensible about money if I were to suddenly become rich, but who knows?
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
I find it incredibly difficult to believe someone could even spend more than 5k a day, unless they were renting a room in a ultra high quality Hotel or something.
Active player (405)
In any case, I'm sorry I detracted from the conversation.
*ahem* any site managers watching this thread have anything to say about my last post? any interest in debating page/post? just curious.. [8 '/
__--N0ISE
Limne
Any
If that's the sort of decisions you'd make, I don't think you'd be a billionaire for long.
Pish posh! I'd keep my finances perfectly parsimonious by neglecting such frivolous expenses as charitable donations, gifts to needy loved ones, and tipping... Seriously, I don't know what else I'd actually spend my money on besides video games, and even then the effort of overseeing such acquisitions would probably preclude spending even one thousandth of a billion dollars. I guess art supplies too, but those would be work related expenses... I could get a house with a pool, maybe eat out a lot... So ya, I honestly don't think I'm in any danger of running out of my imaginary money. But it just goes to say that TAS's are one of the few things in life from which I derive any kind of joy, so congratulations on being awesome, especially with the Family Feud run.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Heisanevilgenius wrote:
Why do most people who win the lottery end up going bankrupt?
Have you got any evidence to back this up with, other than cherry picking individial cases?
Active player (405)
Limne: Very good answer. :) And thanks for the comment. I'm glad you didn't take offence to my innocent remark.
Mitjitsu wrote:
Have you got any evidence to back this up with, other than cherry picking individial cases?
You have a good point. I'm not one to usually just believe everything I hear. I should do some research into this.
Player (120)
Flygon wrote:
I find it incredibly difficult to believe someone could even spend more than 5k a day, unless they were renting a room in a ultra high quality Hotel or something.
I could do it... just give me a chance! Er, as to bounties, I would like to see the "donate to TASvideos" method if anything. As to guaranteeing payment, you could make people donate money when the bounty is put up, but set the money aside and not spend it until the run is complete. Then give people the option of rescinding the bounty after say, a year (just to stop people from frivolously putting up a bounty and taking it back). More complicated but fair "IMO"
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Player (36)
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Player (120)
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
The Candle Problem
Um, so what's the easier solution? Maybe I didn't read the thread carefully enough. I guess you could just say "donate now and if it doesn't get made, screw you" or "please please please promise to donate if it gets made" But i'm probably missing something since I haven't had coffee yet :(
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Player (36)
Specifically I was referring to the part about incentivising work that involves large amounts of outside the box thinking and unclear objectives is counterproductive.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Player (120)
Ah, I'll stop being so egotistical as to think you were referring to me specifically then :) I see your point, but I think if the money goes to the site then it is a good way to incentivize donations.
alden wrote:
if the money goes to the site then it is a good way to incentivize donations.
that's the whole point. people aren't forced to participate, but if someone is looking for both a project to work on and a way to help the site they would need look no further than the bounties page or thread. As for guaranteeing people would play i think
alden wrote:
As to guaranteeing payment, you could make people donate money when the bounty is put up, but set the money aside and not spend it until the run is complete. Then give people the option of rescinding the bounty after say, a year (just to stop people from frivolously putting up a bounty and taking it back). More complicated but fair "IMO"
has the right idea, if it is agreed this is necessary. I'd say it's a good idea, but it is a quite a bit of trouble to go through that process for each proposed bounty. If only it were possible to trust people on the internet... alas...
__--N0ISE
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Youtube's bot has selected some of the videos on my youtube account as candidates for the adsense program. I read the guidelines/contract thing and it mentions that I must have full rights over the content of the video if I ever submitted it to the program, otherwise it could be deleted. Well, after receiving emails to get my videos on adsense, I decided to try one of them. I picked the Yo! Noid TAS, I selected the option mentioning that it contains images of videogames, and that it does not contains any other kind of copyrighted material. I described the video as a world record speedrun of an unaltered version of the game. A few minutes later, my video had been rejected for the program. Reasons were: 1 - I failed to present full documentation regarding my rights to the content of the video; 2 - Youtube's ad partners would like to support videos that can be watched by everyone, including children. No further explanation was given, and I can't do anything about it. I don't know what to think about reason number 1. Is it because my video consists SOLELY of the game? Because I've seen several videos featuring ads AND gameplay footage on youtube. Reason number 2: I guess it's because of my username (FODA)? That's the only thing I can think of. Fortunately my video hasn't been removed, yet.
Experienced player (822)
After doing a quick translation of your name, I would guess that's the problem. Also, this doesn't seem like the correct thread to post in, because I know we had one dedicated to youtube sponsorship before. I can't find it to move it though, so meh.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Post subject: Bounties for tas movies
Editor
I, like many others, have a game that I'd love to see a tas movie for. However, I am prepared to pay to have it made. Specifically, in the form of a bounty. To be specific, I am ready to offer a monetary reward for a completed movie. Sadly I can't offer a large bounty, but I can offer 10 USD for a run of the game Lomax.
Former player
See this thread for past opinions on this idea.
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
While my opinions on bounties have changed slightly from a different thread I posted on in the past (can't remember where it's at, atm), I would offer a counter-suggestion that perhaps a donation to the site would a better option for a bounty?
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Editor, Expert player (2313)
Editor, Expert player (2459)
ars4326 wrote:
I would offer a counter-suggestion that perhaps a donation to the site would a better option for a bounty?
I agree with ars4326. The system should also have an option to make the donation to a trusted charity, just like the charity speedrun marathons do. Since TASing is timeless, it might require a bit different approach than live speedrunning. Maybe we could have a page/thread that lists all currently pending donations that are being offered for whatever game/category + info on who has donated and where the donation is targeted? It would be a "Wishlist 2.0" where people could offer meaningful donations to make their TAS wish come true. It might look something like this: DONATOR / AMOUNT / DESCRIPTION / DONATED TO henke37 / 10$ / for any% Lomax TAS / donated to tasvideos MUGG / 50$ / for barrier skip in Zelda Wind Waker / donated to Nach charity Aqfaq / 1$ / for obsoleting any published run by Aqfaq / donated to autism research
To clarify, I would like to give the $50 to the finder of the trick. Due date 1st Jan 2017 2018.
MUGG wrote:
$50 for barrier skip in Zelda Wind Waker http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1955.msg31033#msg31033
My pledge has caused others to pledge as well. I'd like to keep track. - Mugg $50 [TASVideos] - CryZe $50 [ZSR] - Abahbob $25 + TAS [ZSR] [ZSR] - Vulpone $10 [ZSR] - Demon9 $100 [ZSR] - Chaotic_Ace $100 ($150 if console-doable) [ZSR] [Twitter] - Arizoto $20 [ZSR] - thiefbug $20 [ZSR] - TrogWW $25 [ZSR] - TheMirrorShield $25 [ZSR] - romscout $100 ($300 if console-doable) [Twitter] - adefgames $10 ($20 if console-doable) [Twitter] - demolition14 $1000 if TWWHD-only [ZSR] - Goldphnx $10 [ZSR] - Luoth $10 [ZSR] - Angrevol $20 ($30 if console-doable) [ZSR] ________ Total: * $575 if it works on TWW * $845 if it works on TWW and is console-doable * $1000 if it works on TWWHD only
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Good work, MUGG! How about a new thread and/or a wiki page for clarity? Maybe even a new forum section to keep track of bounties/donations? I think it is both surprising and newsworthy that a single undiscovered trick has suddenly gathered a significant bounty.