1 2 3
13 14
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
During the course of Calculations x100, if 6x9 comes up, I think the answer "42" (which is a Douglas Adams reference) would be hilarious.
Previous Name: boct1584
endrift
Any
Emulator Coder
boct1584 wrote:
During the course of Calculations x100, if 6x9 comes up, I think the answer "42" (which is a Douglas Adams reference) would be hilarious.
Either this or the green alien on the cover.
Editor, Active player (466)
For Scribblenauts I think we want levels where Twitch can suggest crazy things and actually have them be accepted by the game. Then we have both "Twitch is crazy for coming up with this" and "this game is crazy for accepting this" which is perfect for a game showcase like this. Idea #1: Use open-ended levels where you're given a category of objects to summon. These are the least-restrictive so they would motivate a variety of words from Twitch chat (and many of them have a good shot of actually working!). A few level ideas: -- 2-7, "What does the kid want to be when he grows up?" - Potentially any profession will work here, in the TAS we summoned criminals and they worked. -- 4-4, stock a grocery store, in the TAS crazier stuff like "slop" and "sea slug" still worked. -- 5-2, summon items for a horror movie. -- 6-3, fill a garden with plants, in the TAS we summoned poisonous plants and a "gnome". -- 6-12, decorate a house. I remember this level being particularly loose, it accepted all of the lolcats as legitimate "decorations" for whatever reason. -- 10-1, populate mars with a bunch of people. Like 2-7, the game accepts lots of sillier professions. -- 10-3, fill a classroom with school supplies. Idea #2: Pick levels needing a bit more focus. Twitch chat would have to hone in on stuff that actually solves the level rather than just throwing out random words, but there's still some wiggle room. Some interesting levels that fit this category: -- 5-4, do stuff for 3 customers at a hair salon -- 6-2, give a sequence of 3 gifts to family members -- 6-10, satisfy 4 monsters in sequence -- 7-6, appease an alien, create a water source, create renewable food sources, create an air source. -- 8-8, "army boot camp", progress through a series of mini-challenges -- 9-4, fireman training, same concept as 8-8 -- 10-2, policeman training, same concept as 8-8 Thanks to the TAS I'm biased towards noun-based solutions so there may be other levels that work perfectly well when you take adjectives into account. I'm sure Twitch chat would abuse adjectives like crazy anyway if we put this in front of them. A side note about bots, they're going to have to be pretty sophisticated to handle the situations in this game properly. Think about placing summoned items into the field (they can't overlap anything), picking an ambiguous word (does it select the entry for fish-food or fish-animal?), emptying the field if the meter is full, etc. Manual intervention might be needed in some places.
Editor, Experienced player (818)
Big progress! micro500 has done a tool to check if drawn pictures are valid and point out what's wrong with them otherwhise. Check it out at the DS thread. In other words.. this means we can start accepting pictures from artists as soon as micro500 polishes the tool (which means, in a few hours.) I'm going to start advertising it as soon as it's done, and I'm asking everyone in position to do so to do the same. (This might mean heavier load on the site..) We're also planning to remplace the 3 "..." screens in the script with a loading bar that fills out slowly but progressively (animated). Once it is full, it will burst out, spewing out black goo everywhere on the drawable field, including the edges and creating small pools of black sludge, before moving on to "Hello AGDQ2016!" Finally, one proof of concept: animated names. See for yourself (follow the top screen!) Link to video
Editor, Expert player (2460)
endrift wrote:
Either this or the green alien on the cover.
Here's a quick mockup: http://i.imgur.com/F4tNaep.jpg
Here is what we will be using for the picture checking tool. It's at an near complete state right now! Input your valid picture using open image, and the bot will tell you interactively if the picture is inputtable in Brain Age or not.
Emulator Coder, Player (68)
We're now ready for people to start working on the artwork! Here are the guidelines that every picture must conform to: 180x196 Black on white (no grayscale) Drawable with a 4x4 pen You can use any drawing program you want (Photoshop, GIMP, MS Paint, etc), but make sure your resulting image is in a lossless format like PNG. I've made a utility to check if an image can actually be drawn in Brain Age http://pjgat09.github.io/BrainAgeTools/ When you finish an image in your image editing software check it with this tool. This tool will crop your image to 180x196 and will remove any pixels that are not black. It will then check that the image can be drawn with a 4x4 pen. Any pixels that can not be recreated with a 4x4 pen will be highlighted red. You will need to fix those sections. Pick an image from the script that hasn't been claimed/finished yet, and let me know you're working on it via PM. I don't have a fancy submission method ready yet, so when you've finished an image PM me with a link to it on imgur or similar. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I still ask to add this to the script (maybe by the cost of one correct answer): Draw the wrong answer, scratch it out, draw another wrong answer, scratch it out, draw "Pffffff whatever" and have that accepted.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
I still ask to add this to the script (maybe by the cost of one correct answer): Draw the wrong answer, scratch it out, draw another wrong answer, scratch it out, draw "Pffffff whatever" and have that accepted.
Added to the list of ideas. I'm going to change around the script in the near future, so I'll slot that in when I do that.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2123)
Another idea I just came up with: Reference the Family Feud TAS (and GDQ idea) by writing "Abracadabra I win" and getting it correct.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Okay, now what images do we actually need?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1971)
Implementing this in the plot could be funny I think: Link to video (resulting in something like this)
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Post subject: PRAISE MOTHER FRACKING DOME!... Wait.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2305)
micro500 wrote:
I've made a utility to check if an image can actually be drawn in Brain Age http://lbox.acbit.net:9345/parse_image.html
Created 2 both have 20 bad (useless) pixels. I'm ignoring the rule about PMing this. Edit:
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (74)
Spikestuff2: Nice Flareon! 34 bad pixels though, and unlike the fossils, some could throw off line appearances :/ Where do people stand on references to past events? I recreated one of the most tense moments (imo) of this year's SGDQ tetris block for Brain Age, but wasn't sure whether that sort of thing would be suitable, preferring last-minute-rush references to the coming AGDQ. Picture in question: http://i.imgur.com/OchvvAP.png (semi-WIP) Edit:
Masterjun wrote:
Implementing this in the plot could be funny I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeYiej6SeU (resulting in something like this)
I love this. Seriously, I want to see this.
Editor, Player (53)
Couldn't you make sharper the Flareon drawing, or was that intended? Here's a relative quick mod in paint of what I mean: Also made a image from a drawing of a game I like: You can find the original drawing here (not mine)
I'm the best in the Universe! Remember that!
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2305)
samurai goroh wrote:
Couldn't you make sharper the Flareon drawing, or was that intended?
Just like everything I do, it was intended.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Masterjun wrote:
Implementing this in the plot could be funny I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeYiej6SeU (resulting in something like this)
I love this idea too! *added to the script*
Spikestuff wrote:
Created 2 both have 20 bad (useless) pixels. I'm ignoring the rule about PMing this. Edit:
The fossils look great, and the bad pixels look pretty easy to clean up. If someone wants to fix them I'll add them to the script. The flareon looks great too, but I agree that it might look better smoothed out. What do other people think?
AdituV wrote:
Where do people stand on references to past events? I recreated one of the most tense moments (imo) of this year's SGDQ tetris block for Brain Age, but wasn't sure whether that sort of thing would be suitable, preferring last-minute-rush references to the coming AGDQ. Picture in question: http://i.imgur.com/OchvvAP.png (semi-WIP)
That is another great picture. I think we're going to try to stick to references from the AGDQ we're at so that they are fresh in people's heads, but if nothing else we can use this drawing as just a tetris picture.
Player (74)
I've fixed up the fossils with as few changes to the original lineart as possible, though I feel like there's something off about the dome fossil that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's just because I never liked the original sprite for that =]
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
feos wrote:
Could it be more fun (if possible that is), to draw the correct answer and have the game tell you "nope, wrong!" between the 2 wrong answers?
I didn't mean to actually send anything, but the very last one. Otherwise the previous drawings will be erased by the game.
Note that out of the 124 needed drawings, exactly 4 have different properties. I will go over them here.
Name screen Amount: 1 Pen size: 2x2 Dimensions: 177x60 pixels Birthday screen Amount: 3 Pen size: 2x2 Dimensions: 141x148 pixels
Link to video A small example of how far the game is able to be pushed.
Why are they turned sideways?
Player (57)
Because he didn't bother rotating the video.
Post subject: Good news everyone!
I did more work with the hardware today. I spent the majority of the time trying to debug why my formula to hit precise pixels wasn't working. I finally figured that out, recalibrated the screen, and I now have pixel perfect input that matches the emulator! I also tested trying to get a static RNG seed on the hardware. I changed the DS date/clock to 1/1/2000 00:00, started a stop watch, rebooted into Brain Age, and started the game 1 minute after I had set the clock. I repeated the process and got the same question set! I then tried the same steps in the emulator. I started a movie at 1/1/2000 00:00 and entered the game 3600 frames later, and I got the same question set as on the hardware! This news means that we can pick an RNG seed and know what the answers will be. We can then cater our image set to work for those answers. We don't need to make each image work for all answers! This will save a large amount of work, and we can now focus on the art.
1 2 3
13 14