Reviewer, Expert player (2393)
I've had a bit of a breakthrough with running some games in JPC-rr. This is not a solution to every game, but it's opened up a few more possibilities. Some games use the DOS4GW extender, which JPC-rr doesn't always seem to agree with. However, there's an extender that actually works: http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html To use this, delete the existing DOS4GW.EXE file, copy over DOS32A.EXE, and rename it DOS4GW.EXE. Then you can import the image with the new extender. (If the game has DOS4GW built into its executable, you can force it to use DOS32A by doing "DOS32A xxxxxxxx.EXE") I've successfully gotten a couple games to work that didn't work before. This will cause some games to boot and then get hung up on loading screens, but it's a good start.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2070)
Awesome work! Any idea if this will change the games' behaviors at all?
DrD2k9 wrote:
Awesome work! Any idea if this will change the games' behaviors at all?
I haven't tested it enough, and I doubt anything would change, but we'll see what happens. The games I got working at least appear to be running properly.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
The different DOS extenders are often interchangeable. It's unlikely that game mechanics logic depends on their differences.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I modified the rules to allow running games with DOS32A.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
I don't know what any of this means and I'm not sure how to set it up, but just letting you know I had trouble getting Mice Maze to run in the past because of some error. I wonder if this breakthrough fixed the error...
MUGG wrote:
I don't know what any of this means and I'm not sure how to set it up, but just letting you know I had trouble getting Mice Maze to run in the past because of some error. I wonder if this breakthrough fixed the error...
I took a look at it and it's not DOS4GW related. You'll know if it is because a couple lines about DOS4GW will show up in the command prompt. Mice Maze looks like it has some issues with the FPU and it also uses some invalid instructions, so there's nothing that can be done at this time.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Saw some news about a DOSBox fork today. No idea if it has savestates and/or movies, but it seems to be focused on accuracy.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2070)
creaothceann wrote:
Saw some news about a DOSBox fork today. No idea if it has savestates and/or movies, but it seems to be focused on accuracy.
The main site for this fork says it hopes to be able to emulate Win 3.x and Win 95 as well.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Yes guys, recently I thought about adding rerecording to dosbox, at least to annoy natt into implementing doshawk one way or another already <_<
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.