Post subject: SNES Videos and Virtualdub?
Does anyone know of a way that resize my SNES videos without losing the quality so that I can "trick" Youtube into making it HD?
Guernsey Adams Pierre
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2300)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Sonia
She/Her
Video > Filters > Add... > resize use Nearest neighbor as Filter mode, or it will look blurry.
Post subject: (For a more actual response with VDub)
Spikestuff
They/Them
^ Also do it by 2's so 200%, 400%, 600% etc. It's going to look 1:1 tho not 4:3. So do another Resize Filter and Select "Compute height from ratio" and make the value that went down (y value) be 100% since the x needs to be changed in that bit. Also for this bit use Lanczos3.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
What aspect ratio or what video size should be used?
Guernsey Adams Pierre
Sonia
She/Her
Just leave the window as something like [URL=https://i.imgur.com/eBj8sKm.png]this[/URL]. You can choose between 400%, 600%, 800%, etc. In the image it's set as 400%, which in the case of SNES, is the minimum to make the video go HD. The system's resolution is 256x224, resizing it to 400% makes it become 1024x896. (HD is 720px tall and up.)
Okay. Should I save it as an AVI file container or should I save it as something else to save space?
Guernsey Adams Pierre
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
A container doesn't influence the size of the file (except for a few percent at most). It depends on how the video is compressed., if at all. http://www.pitivi.org/manual/codecscontainers.html You can store a raw uncompressed video stream in any container, and it'll be absolutely massive. For best results you could encode the video with the h.264 codec, which can be done e.g. with the command-line program x264 or with various plugins, e.g. x264vfw which can be used with VirtualDub.
Should I just use the default settings for x264vfw/H.264 for the videos? I want to get high quality without getting a huge filesize. What settings are good for low file size and high quality?
Guernsey Adams Pierre
Spikestuff
They/Them
YouTube's going to compress it in the long run but the encoders use qp 5/7/10 depending on the encoder (lower the number the higher the filesize). If you don't want to tamper with that just use the default crf 15.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
creaothceann wrote:
A container doesn't influence the size of the file (except for a few percent at most). It depends on how the video is compressed., if at all. http://www.pitivi.org/manual/codecscontainers.html You can store a raw uncompressed video stream in any container, and it'll be absolutely massive. For best results you could encode the video with the h.264 codec, which can be done e.g. with the command-line program x264 or with various plugins, e.g. x264vfw which can be used with VirtualDub.
The program contains x264 and x265 AVC codec 8bit/10bit. I also have a variety codecs included in the program.
YouTube's going to compress it in the long run but the encoders use qp 5/7/10 depending on the encoder (lower the number the higher the filesize). If you don't want to tamper with that just use the default crf 15.
So just stick with the default settings?
Also do it by 2's so 200%, 400%, 600% etc. It's going to look 1:1 tho not 4:3. So do another Resize Filter and Select "Compute height from ratio" and make the value that went down (y value) be 100% since the x needs to be changed in that bit. Also for this bit use Lanczos3.
So I have to use the resize filter twice? Or do just use it once for "Nearest Neighbor","Same as source","Codec friendly sizing" and "Relative"?
Guernsey Adams Pierre
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Guernsey wrote:
Should I just use the default settings for x264vfw/H.264 for the videos? I want to get high quality without getting a huge filesize. What settings are good for low file size and high quality?
I always go with CRF 16, or a bit higher if the quality doesn't matter that much.
Should I keep the black bars or should I remove them? Should I make it 4:3?
Guernsey Adams Pierre
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
You can probably remove them, if you're sure that they're empty all the way through the video, and that you don't need them to get a high-quality encode on Youtube. (Youtube uses lower quality settings for videos with fewer than 720 lines.) Personally I prefer 4:3.
How do I change aspect ratio in Virtualdub without losing the quality?
Guernsey Adams Pierre
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
You don't. Use mkvtoolnix to convert your file(s) to an MKV file; you can specify an aspect ratio there. This will leave the video data unmodified, but players like Media Player Classic HomeCinema will stretch it to that aspect ratio. Youtube should do the same, afaik.
Are the resize settings different for every console you use?
Guernsey Adams Pierre
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Afaik you can just use 4:3 for every video console made for SD TVs, including NES, SNES, Genesis.
The footage for Genesis is a 320 x 224, I guess it applies then. I wonder if the two resizes still work for Genesis videos?
Guernsey Adams Pierre