(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is my first time to make .
This is Batman No killing. No killing is different from highways. No killing can't use weapons, so No killing can't solve most of the lagging problems.
Loophole:
I found an error in 3-2. The first two frames of the game can take off in the air, saving 9 frames.
Skill:
If you can't jump, try not to jump, jumping will increase time, so it's better not to jump where you can't.
If you want to jump, the higher you jump, the better. Big jump is 2 frames faster than small jump. The premise of big jump is that Batman's head can't touch anything, otherwise it will shorten the jump distance.
Why does 4-1 stay at the giant's feet for a few frames?
If you don't stop and go straight, giants will follow you, which will affect your walking and hurt you.
Why did 5-1 fall while climbing the wall?
Because there are two enemies on the platform that can attack. If you get hurt and move on, you will lose two damage points. If you fall a little, you can throw off two enemies on the platform above.

feos: Judging...
feos: Reencoded.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6245: DreamYao's NES Batman "no kills" in 09:44.85
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3969)
Im not sure how I feel about calling this a pacifist run if you still damage enemies. Maybe we should better define our rules on what is allowed for pacifist runs.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2299)
I'm curious on how people would react to this as the definition of "pacifist" is that "war and violence isn't justified" and here we have Batman punching thugs at certain points. The only TAS that has shown us pacifism is Contra and that's strictly not dealing any damage to an enemy unless it's a boss. Mainly due to regular enemies being struck down in one shot. Also I believe this TAS is comparable to the non-pacifist TAS at certain points from what I've watched. And there are errors within your TAS that someone might just make a table of unfortunately. --- This is an interesting run for a newcomer to provide and it's well executed but it is questionable with the branch choice as it is dealing damage. And mainly just for fixing input enjoy a cleaner movie file in regards to the odd input being pressed on Player 2's controller which is meant to be ignored by the game.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
In my opinion, jumping over enemies all the time damages the pace of this game and doesn't look too entertaining. Then, quite some enemies punched here didn't have to be punched, because you could have avoided them or took damage without having to die. After watching the whole thing I think some enemies can't be avoided without hitting them or dying, so it will have to be done, but you clearly have enough HP after some stages which could have been spent better. However I don't know if I'd be more entertained if it was done the right way. Maybe the game just doesn't fit such a goal. I don't know how optimal this movie is in general, but in some spaces there are obvious mistakes: https://youtu.be/ez_YFD6m4ws?t=471 https://youtu.be/ez_YFD6m4ws?t=536 Overall, voted No.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1436)
Batman punching many enemies... This is not "pacifist" run in my opinion. Sorry, my vote is No.
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Player (54)
I'm sorry to show you such works. Actually, we've already said that we don't recommend him to contribute.In fact, it was tested 10 minutes ago to prove that there is at least 200 frames of lifting space. So,my vote is No. I'm sorry for my poor English.
I'll love only Nanoha Takamachi forever!!
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Interesting idea of a run... this isn't really true pacifist since lots of normal enemies get damaged. It's really a "no kills, only fists" run. I like the concept in principle, but the run mostly looks similar to the any% run, and the third boss looks much worse in this run using only fists. Since we already have Aglar's any% run doing mostly the same stuff, and because the use of weapons makes that run more interesting, I'm going with Meh for this run.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Spikestuff
They/Them
The author has changed the branch and a few words to "no killing" from "pacifist/m". There has been points added in for 4-1 (seems to be a typo for 4-3) and 5-1, also known as feos' points. The point you made for 5-1 can be disagreed with as you're scaling with no enemies present at that point, it doesn't clear up the up-ahead aspect. For 4-3 on the other hand. It's something that can be looked into with health management. I do want something cleared up and that's how you set out to fight the bosses compared to Aglar's TAS.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
NhatNM
He/Him
Experienced player (706)
Hi! Lucky me today visit this forum for find relax, and I see this run. Wow, I love this game when I'm at childhood. i see some pepole complain about pacifist problem in this run. So, I tried find other way can do real pacifist run, and found this Link to video Not sure it'll help optimize run, but I guess will help kill anything faster (like as Rockman pause trick killing boss), not tested Hope I can help anything
A man come from Vietnam My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/NhatNM/playlists
Spikestuff
They/Them
Well that method of (not) attack(ing) would be useful in the more dire situations for a pacifist TAS. Nice one N?K.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
NhatNM
He/Him
Experienced player (706)
Hehe thanks Spikestuff
A man come from Vietnam My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/NhatNM/playlists
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
That pause trick looks awesome, nice find xxNKxx! The end result might be not that entertaining, but it's definitely in the same vein as the Ninja Gaiden Pacifist strategies.
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I reset the poll guys and also reencoded the submission. The author had "no kills" in mind as an actual goal, and no items as a result of it, just didn't seem to know that it's a bit different from "pacifist". Of course the difference is slim, but see how confused everyone was. Now, several people admitted than "no kills" is the most natural goal for Batman as a character. So this movie philosophically makes a lot of sense. The only question is, does this movie look entertaining as "no kills"? PS: The pause trick would damage the entertainment way too much imo.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3969)
The movie didn’t look entertaining even when it was considered pacifist, and it isn’t any more entertaining now. No vote.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Post subject: Re: #6245: DreamYao's NES Batman "no kills" in 09:44.85
Player (26)
There are plenty of games where your character is not a murderer and "defeats" or "knocks out" enemies instead of outright killing them, without making the gameplay different. So this is not something special for the Batman character. So regardless of how it might fit the character, I find attacking without killing not a good fit for a video game, or for that matter a TAS. It just feels too arbitrary. So voting no.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!