Recorded on Snes9x v1.43 Improvement6
Sync-Settings: WIP1 Timing ON; Left+Right/Up+Down OFF; Volume Envelope Heigh Reading OFF; Fake Mute Desync Workaround ON; Sync Samples With Sound CPU ON;
  • New Game+ (transfer items/status from a save-file into a New Game)
  • aim for fastest possible time
  • manipulate luck
  • no programming errors or glitches used
  • Genre: RPG
  • Frames: 35836
About the Game: Chrono Trigger is a phantastic role-playing game made by Square. It is known as one of the best RPG games of all time. The story is about time-traveling in which a group of young adventurers is trying to save the future by defeating a mighty creature called "Lavos" which has infected and destroyed the world.
Moviemaking: Since making a TAS for the entire game would take very much time I decided to do a New Game+ run! This movie shows how to beat the game using the New Game+ feature which allows you to start a new game but keep the status and items from a save-file you can select for it. I used my own save-file I have optimized for this movie to reach the fastest possible time in this mode and defeating Lavos at the earliest point.
Optimizing the the movements especially where Marle joins, the Lavos battles to find the quickest battle-strategy against him and the Dream Team Ending was hard. In the End of Time I had to calculate the fastest possible route while talking to all the needed characters which required some planings and testings.
The effort was worth it, I managed to break the 10 min barrier by geting a time of 9 min and 57 sec which seems to be the limit for this mode.
Don't have much more to say, so just enjoy the movie!
Saturn

Bisqwit: Accepted as a concept demo.

JXQ wrote:
Yes, the wind! Aagh. This is probably noobish, but how do I switch to this other encoder you speak of? I'd be really excited to get my sound working better, as it's usually my favorite part of a game. Well, besides the play..
A bit late, but: Sound -> Settings -> Enable Anti-Resonance's sample decoding method. I think it was that anyway... I remember fixing the wind in FF6 with that. About the run: I think this run should start from a level 99 save, not from the one from hero's run. If that run is ever obsoleted (seems likely to me since it's the first run of a RPG game) then a new NG+ run would have to be made to go along with it.
Active player (278)
Don't forget to get ideal equipment and use as many tabs as possible.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Bisqwit wrote:
My vote is "postpone". This may be published as a supplemental later when a real movie is made, but until then, this is considered cheating, and will not be published.
This is pretty much what I was thinking, actually, for the exact same reasons. I mean, I know "New Game +" is part of the game, but the site has explicitly mentioned somewhere that most(note I say "most") tool-assisted speed runs are to start from a hard boot of a game; start from the very beginning without saves or otherwise. So...I'll hold off on voting, too. Just to keep matters simple. :3
http://ironfeline.org/rtb -- Faxanadu Revisited: Restoring the Balance http://ironfeline.org/motg2 -- Music of the Game II: Café De La Luna
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
But a real movie has already been made, so that's no longer a reason to postpone this. (Although I don't know if this should be published separately from that.)
Maybe we can have a compromise? Why not just link to this .smv from the main Chrono Trigger TAS, rather than publishing it by itself?
Wandering Road wrote:
Maybe we can have a compromise? Why not just link to this .smv from the main Chrono Trigger TAS, rather than publishing it by itself?
Yeah, that is an idea. I agree. I wonder if it will get published even in that form though. There are a lot of "No." votes already...
Player (104)
Sorry, I have to vote no. I just don't like that it has come from an existing game. It might be something though to beat the game from scratch and then beat Game + as well before ending the movie? I dunno...just an idea.
Soft Blue Dragon
Active player (278)
That's already been discussed... It would actually make the final battle harder, and likely impossible, because of the suboptimal characters you're stuck with at the beginning of the game. A perfect game file would be funnier to show the ease with which you could win, but I admit it's not that great.
Player (24)
Or post it just under: Hacked games / concept demos when published it like some other special TAS and Demos.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
On one hand, kicking Lavos quickly like that was interesting. On the other hand, who knows exactly what you have going into it. I think if you're gonna base it off a New Game +, it should be based off the full game TAS. "Voting" Meh.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Active player (278)
But the full game TAS would leave you worse off in the New Game+ than in the ending of the full game! It was barely possible to beat that game with the right characters... Better to use a save file that ensures victory as fast as possible.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
And thus the reason why this doesn't work. I agree with everybody here on this issue. Considering how RPGs work with the New Game+ issue (like Trigger, Cross, Legend of Mana), it can make things confusing unless you're working off of a full game run (like the speedrun did of Trigger). Indeed this may be fast as possible, but how did you get to that point? That's lost. It's not really a "start to finish" run, which is why I understand everybody's concern.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Active player (278)
You did it by... playing a lot and getting every item you could need. I don't see why the details are important.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Sir VG wrote:
I think if you're gonna base it off a New Game +, it should be based off the full game TAS.
This would probably require some extra preparation before fighting Lavos, which defeats the point.
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Better to use a save file that ensures victory as fast as possible.
However, this is stupid too; of course a game can be beat quickly if we max out our stats. The SRAM can be hacked to give the characters higher stats than can be achieved during normal play - should we publish a movie about that? The solution is to reject this movie. We already have the full play of Chrono Trigger.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Player (209)
JXQ wrote:
The SRAM can be hacked to give the characters higher stats than can be achieved during normal play
No this won't work. You can't get any higher than the max level of each status. All the needed statuses in my savefile of this movie were maxed out to 99 by using Tabs if a character couldn't reach them himself at level 99 (for example Magic Tabs on Chrono or Power Tabs on Marle). Also I think if you transfer a hacked SRAM file to a New Game+ it will be set to legal values again otherwise the game wouldn't recognize it. This movie beats the game as fast as possible with the best possible conditions you can get and this is the point of this movie. It's absolutely frame-perfect and I took very much effort for it. However if no one sees a point of a New Game+ TAS competition (I do) then reject it.
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I just meant it was possible, not that it was done - for example, someone's "evade" attribute could be starred out although normally it would not reach that level without a proper accessory.
Saturn wrote:
This movie beats the game as fast as possible with the best possible conditions you can get and this is the point of this movie. It's absolutely frame-perfect and I took very much effort for it.
I don't doubt this, I just think that it is not a good addition to the site, and I also think that one that starts from the ending stats of the current full-game TAS would not be a good addition to the site either.
Active player (278)
But Saturn just said that it wasn't possible... though somebody should confirm it.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
If you tell the SRAM to put Crono's evade at 99 (which it cannot get to during normal play), I highly doubt that it will put it back down to 45 or whatever the limit is through actual repeated NewGame+ play. I think what Saturn meant was that if you put their power at something above 99 (or whatever ** signifies), it rounds it back down to this value.
Player (209)
I ment other statuses like boosting speed up to 99 but which is allowed till 16 legally. The evade will of course stay at 99 in the New Game+ as it is a legal change but it won't affect anything in the battle at all. All you need is maxed out speed magic and power. Lavos has a 100% hit value so it doesn't matter how much evade you have. The only thing that could possibly be useful is Marles Strike/Hit Value which would up the damage of the Bow. But I'm not sure if it would change anything in the battle either as the main damager is Cronos Luminaire. If there is still something of use that could be faked into the SRAM file (which I can hardly believe) then just look at this one as a legal SRAM-file (it's fully proveable by checking the statuses).
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
As much as I want to see powered up characters at the beginning... I'm also joining the no gang.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [526] SNES Chrono Trigger "newgame+" by Saturn in 09:57.27
My belief that the voting system has anything to do with the publication of movies is now officially dead.
Editor, Active player (296)
Cmuxmt wrote:
My belief that the voting system has anything to do with the publication of movies is now officially dead.
Majority of the votes for this movie were casted before the full speedrun was completed. Back then, based on those votes, it was decided that this movie will be delayed at least until the full movie is ready. Some time after the full speedrun was released, this submission was rejudged as "accepting as a concept demo", and hence, I published it today. I hope this answers your anxiosity.
Bisqwit wrote:
Cmuxmt wrote:
Majority of the votes for this movie were casted before the full speedrun was completed. Back then, based on those votes, it was decided that this movie will be delayed at least until the full movie is ready. Some time after the full speedrun was released, this submission was rejudged as "accepting as a concept demo", and hence, I published it today. I hope this answers your anxiosity.
Yes. I was not aware of this movie being published in the "concept demo" group. I withdraw my previous comment and apologize for my ignorance.