Former player
the boss battles go like this for me: 1 -Giant Head -Giant Head -Slime Man 2 -Iron Head 3 -Fireman 4 -Giant Head -Monster 5 -Giant Head -Faryan Werewolf -Faryan Darklord the first giant head, i am human; nothing applies. for the second one, there is a full health just above me, so killing him quickly AND getting that health is faster than to punch - wait - punch - he jumps, i follow - punch - etc. for Slime Man, i have the health to execute the attack. and it does maximum damage (8) for Ironhead, i was able to skip the first Giant head and thereby have full health for him. once more, it does maximum damage (8) on Fireman, i opt for the Higher (3-1) and then Lower (3-2) route and bypass boss battles to save up enough health for him. however, here is where you notice the howl become less useful. it only does 4 damage but takes 8 from me. so only doing it twice, while extremely useful, becomes less effective. on Giant Head in level 4 (which is what i think you were referring to) i use the attack because when i come to Monster, he only takes 2 damage from it. and finishing off Giant Head with 2 howls and 2 punches is quicker than 10 punches + waiting for him and letting him leap around for me to chase. on level 5, i use it on Giant Head because i figured Faryan would not take damage and it would be wasted. i could possibly be VERY wrong in such an assumption and i will test the result tomorrow by killing Giant Head with punches and then killing Faryan Werewolf with 2 howls and the rest as punches. in short, i use the attack on level 4's miniboss because it does not take significant damage from the boss and it makes a portion of the game faster... as to say, even if i did save the Howls for Monster, it would not make up for the time lost on Giant Head.
Former player
ok, i tried out Truncated's idea of saving the howl... paid off (im somehow not surprised... :)) JUST under 13 minutes now. check the link above. oh, and i tried it on Faryan's 2nd Dark Lord persona... only does 2 damage. so not worth it... i suppose im done with this game for now... let me know if theres anything else... its early here (2 AM) and im pretty sure im just gonna be making maps of the game (ive been drawing werewolves a lot lately... :)) bah, off topic. sorry.
in the second level, at the roof top/construction site dealyo, you jump towards a wall to climb. however you hit the wall after you start descending instead of hitting it at the peak of the jump. it seems very possible to just jump a little later in order to land at the peak of the jump or at least closer to the peak. true? :)
Former player
...keep pointing em out. :) EDIT4: same link at the top of the page... the Monster redo didnt do at all (...sorry if thats confusing). anyhow, up to Faryan and just beat his Wolf form...so i should have this done before nightfall (here at least.) again, point out errors you see or questions you have. what bordem lead to in logic... 1, 2 ...i dont know if that second one is entirely werewolf (Fox perhaps?) but itll prolly be my new avatar after this weekend... if i get around to it.
Former player
DONE. and greatly improved upon. http://nvdata.pilif.ch/Werewolf_take2.zip im gonna go do homework now.
Sehr Gut! Very good that you sped up the fight with the fireman. Very good indeed.
My question is over the LDR... what exactly is it? I can't get it to work, and I've modded my controller to fit it The Aitamen
"If any man is not free, then I too, am a small pie made of chicken"
You need a special fceu to make it work. Look here. If you have it. all you have to do is press left, down and right at the same time and werewolf will crouch and walk to the right while facing left. this will not make the screen scroll and you can use it to get through some walls.
Much thanks... I thought it was like HCF... this makes more sense... I'm doing an official speedrun on the NES, and I'm going to do three versions... one no hit (howl damage), one no damage, and one full speed... all three, first hacked controller and then my JS controller ^_^ thanks again, and wish me luck! The Aitamen
"If any man is not free, then I too, am a small pie made of chicken"
Player (70)
Good luck to you! May frustration and lag not be in your way!
Some improvement ideas on Werewolf. fcm file Level3 starts 682 frames faster (~11seconds) than current movie. I know that my level 2 can be played a little faster. I think that those anger powerups might save time on the Werewolf boss since you deal double damage with it on. and instead use the lifedraining attack on the giant head boss that guards him and get the upgrade there. This game can be improved maybe 20 seconds.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Looks good, i hope you will complete it.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Aitamen wrote:
I'm doing an official speedrun on the NES, and I'm going to do three versions... one no hit (howl damage), one no damage, and one full speed... all three, first hacked controller and then my JS controller ^_^
Does anybody know how it's progressing now?
Tafatt wrote:
This game can be improved maybe 20 seconds.
Yeah, maybe even by whole 25 seconds! :) I'm working an inmrovement for about a week already. Several additional notes: * it's better not to take first "red W" at the beginning, because it pauses the game for cutscene and also throws you back. Quite a difficult thing to realise actually. This action is so unnormal for everyone who played the game, that I could find it only because of listening to ManForm music (I tried to keep it playing as much longer as possible, because for the whole game we'll be listening to WerewolfForm music) * I already tested that collecting 5 balls and killing Werewolf in 10 hits is faster, so now it's only necessary to find 4 best places of those balls without big delay. 5th place is last GiantHead of course * actually HOWL does a little damage on 2nd Faryan, it's better to save 2 howls for him * there is one heart in level 4 after GiantHead battle, so you can use 2 howls for him and 4 howls for Monster * thera are several additional glitches (still not as cool as L+D+R) to abuse. Charge can be saved by pressing A at correct frame. It even can be saved before fully charged (so you can charge partially) Right now I have no intention to post current WIPs, because I'm trying to figure best strategy. Lots of planning stuff, you know. AND FINAL NOTE. Does everybody here think the game is difficult?? I used to walkthrough it on real console, and don't think it's so hard - it just requires some time to master, after that it's easier than Mario. :)
Player (70)
Go for it! Improve it. :D
man, i still can't beat this game without savestates :/
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
>AND FINAL NOTE. Does everybody here think the game is difficult?? I used to walkthrough it on real console, and don't think it's so hard - it just requires some time to master, after that it's easier than Mario. :) While I'm not everybody (but I'm working on it), yes I think this game is difficult. But it's been a good while since I made a serious attempt (as in several years) so I might be better now.
Experienced player (699)
Tafatt wrote:
Some improvement ideas on Werewolf. fcm file Level3 starts 682 frames faster (~11seconds) than current movie. I know that my level 2 can be played a little faster. I think that those anger powerups might save time on the Werewolf boss since you deal double damage with it on. and instead use the lifedraining attack on the giant head boss that guards him and get the upgrade there. This game can be improved maybe 20 seconds.
I started TASing this game pretty recently, but I didn't see that this had been posted. Now, i have even more revision to do. So far my strategies are very similar to this video. I'm not sure if I'll ever finish this TAS though. At the start of level 3 I'm about 13 seconds faster due to a new glitch that I found, but I still have about 2 seconds of mistakes from what tafatt posted here. So there is still much improvement that can be made.
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Former player
AnS wrote:
AND FINAL NOTE. Does everybody here think the game is difficult?? I used to walkthrough it on real console, and don't think it's so hard - it just requires some time to master, after that it's easier than Mario. :)
I had this discussion on #SDA a while ago, and I couldn't tell you. On my first try I made it to the boss of the skyscraper stage before losing, and I had no idea what the controls were. As a result, I did stupid things such as running through those electricity hallways because I didn't realize you could backflip. I also ended up dieing on the boss because I accidentally backflipped INSIDE of him and died in the confusion of what just happened. Now I wouldn't call it an easy game, but I don't see how this is any harder than most challenging NES games...
andrewg wrote:
I started TASing this game pretty recently, but I didn't see that this had been posted. Now, i have even more revision to do. So far my strategies are very similar to this video. I'm not sure if I'll ever finish this TAS though. At the start of level 3 I'm about 13 seconds faster due to a new glitch that I found, but I still have about 2 seconds of mistakes from what tafatt posted here. So there is still much improvement that can be made.
Nice to see some interest for this game. I hope you will finish it.
Experienced player (699)
I'm doubting that I'll actually finish this TAS. I should start working on this again, but it will need to be redone after I finish the game. (There are many mistakes in the beginning.)
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2103)
I remember seeing this game in my friend's house. I've never played it, though. @andrewg: I'd like to see your first (right?) TAS completed. Don't worry if I'd make it before you. I won't do that, again, I think. :)
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Skilled player (1885)
I remember AnS talking about wanting to do a run of this game recently, so you might want to check with him if he has done anything yet, or has anything planned out.
Experienced player (699)
klmz wrote:
I remember seeing this game in my friend's house. I've never played it, though. @andrewg: I'd like to see your first (right?) TAS completed. Don't worry if I'd make it before you. I won't do that, again, I think. :)
heh, well I still think there's some way to improve smb. I doubt I'll finish the TAS I was working on, I'm pretty bad at TASing besides the fact that I'm pretty good at finding the glitches. If AnS is working on Werewolf right now, I'd certainly be willing to give him some information I know ;)
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Unfortunately, it seems I wont be able to TAS anything this year.
Experienced player (699)
aww. Well, maybe I will TAS it, I think there might be a delay of progress though. :(