Post subject: Tetris the Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus - Double Mode
GabCM
He/Him
Ok, this is my second attempt at TASing, after this one, in 2009. Not another Tetris game! Yes, but this time, in my TAS, two players play on the same game area, which is bigger than usual. In my TAS, I control both of them to finish all 300 levels as fast as possible. I did only 00:31.50 seconds for now, but it's only the beginning. But before I continue, I want to get feedback about those first 00:31.50 seconds. So, here's the FBM and an SD encode in MKV. Please note that you need these two roms to read the FBM: tgm2.zip and tgm2p.zip. Both are over there!
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I tried it before but the game seems to run slow. AVI dumps are slower as well, and so is your mkv. I remember that DeHackEd did a TAS for TGM2, but in MAME: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6569
GabCM
He/Him
FractalFusion wrote:
I tried it before but the game seems to run slow. AVI dumps are slower as well, and so is your mkv.
You know a way to speed this up in FBA v0.0.5.01?
Okay, so I resolved the issue we discussed with my mplayer not reading your encode properly. It worked flawlessly after compiling from the svn source (both the original one and the nodedup)... these package installs are so tarded sometimes. Anyhoo... My thoughts on your WIP I don't care so much for slow-paced tetris. I take it things will speed up as the levels increase and I'd have to make up my mind about a run like this based on the action going on at that time. For instance when the right player wants to put a piece on the left side; moving the piece over there takes a while and if this does not speed up at the later levels then I'd have to say no. Would be nice if you could show an encode from a savestate at a later point. Otherwise I'm a Tetris fan and if the speed catches on I'm sure you will be able to make this an interesting run.
GabCM
He/Him
Undie wrote:
I don't care so much for slow-paced tetris.
But there are submissions that gets rejected because of the inappropriate emulation. If the emulation's too slow for TASVideos, if I can't find a way to fix this, I'd give up.
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
Undie: The game won't really get any faster. Gravity increases, but between DAS (autorepeat, which is 60 Hz, faster than fast tapping which is 30 Hz) and sonic drop you're not going to really see any differences. I'm looking forward to the credit roll though. Mister Epic: If you're going for fastest clear time, you should probably focus on trying to keep each player on their own side. It's less pimpin', but going to be faster. And beware of the bugs and glitches. There are phantom pieces after one player sets their piece in place, and during lock flash the other player's inputs hiccup for a moment. The last one is a bitch when playing for real.
GabCM
He/Him
DeHackEd wrote:
If you're going for fastest clear time, you should probably focus on trying to keep each player on their own side. It's less pimpin', but going to be faster.
Good idea! I will start it over and do it like this.
DeHackEd wrote:
And beware of the bugs and glitches. There are phantom pieces after one player sets their piece in place, and during lock flash the other player's inputs hiccup for a moment. The last one is a bitch when playing for real.
I saw that while TASing. That's why I wait for both pieces to be laid on the ground or on other pieces before I lock them by pressing Down.
GabCM
He/Him
I think I will give up this one, since I found a better and more original game to TAS. What's the game? It's a secret, for the moment. The game is Magnetica for the DS. Good job finding this spoiler!
oh you tease.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
Well, my day just got ruined. I challenge you to a game of Doubles. Time to beat is 5.5 minutes.