Post subject: Tony Hawk's Underground
Editor, Expert player (2313)
I'm interested in running this game (at least the first few missions). I guess I would use sick difficulty. Any advice, hints, tricks?
I know one glitch that works on both THUG and THUG2, which is the "Set-Restart" glitch. To do this glitch, place a "Set-Restart" marker at an area you'd like to bypass or go through (A thin glass door/wall, an OoB area, etc.) and after gaining some speed, load the marker. If you did it correctly, you should be pushed through the object or invisible wall. I know this glitch may sound useful, but I've found no uses for it yet.
Player (142)
If I remember correctly (I've also played the sequel a lot, so I might confuse certain things), there's quite a few places in the game where you can get stuck in mid-air, allowing you to combo tricks for as long as you want. You can usually wiggle your way out. This might help to achieve high scores. I'll also pick up this game soon, as I've yet to 100% it anyway and I just enjoy looking for tricks.
I'm almost positive that you can do it in both games, but I think you have to go OoB in most areas to do it. And I'm sure you know, but if you don't, you have infinite time to do challenges, so long as you keep a combo going.
I was TASing for a bit (on r7251 and on sick difficulty). I chose not to use memory cards since it didn't really have any bad side-effects and I didn't want to have to worry so much about copying memory cards and so on. It seems this game can randomly desync every now and then, similar to what I heard of Mupen back in the day so I need to check the movie every once in a while. After some redoing and realizing that I chose a slower second goal, I just have one goal finished but the progress will get better from this point (I hope). @ ripz3: About this Set-Restart glitch, I still have to check it out sometime. I don't think such a trick will save time in New Jersey anyway. Also, keep in mind this is the gamecube version (I'm not sure if there are version differences between PC, PS2 and GC). Getting stuck in midair sounds cool, but for comboing I can just start a manual or do other fancy stuff. Getting points will be very easy...
Yeah, it won't help in New Jersey. Idt it will help in any of Story Mode, sadly. And you're right, MUGG. Scoring high combos in glitched corners is pretty pointless, since you can do it on flat land. ;) But from the looks of it, it sounds like you know what you're doing, so I shouldn't bother explaining that keeping a combo after time runs out will end up sending you back to the area where the goal is at, no matter how far/long the combo lasts...
WIP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG-p0nFQg3g I gave up because there are way too many desyncs for me to handle. I can't bother redoing the same combo or mission dozens of times... Maybe this problem was already fixed by a savestate leak fix recently, but I'm not going to try this game for a bit. Just consider the video above as a little preview.
Are we even allowed to publish games like this? I'm thinking the music might cause some legal trouble.
That looked really great so far. Nice work.
Skilled player (1533)
K, nice wip. But you can do double jumps against walls, so you didn't need to climb the ledge for the first skateboard piece 20 secs in. Plus when skitching, grinding etc I'd like to see perfect balance please, otherwise it's harder to get drawn into the TAS nature of the run. Btw, I look forward to seeing a run of Hangover Cure in Moscow, that was my favourite goal in the game.
K, nice wip. But you can do double jumps against walls, so you didn't need to climb the ledge for the first skateboard piece 20 secs in.
Oh, I didn't know this.
Plus when skitching, grinding etc I'd like to see perfect balance please, otherwise it's harder to get drawn into the TAS nature of the run.
When skitching, I already tried to get good balance but I couldn't get it any better without using savestates (which means a higher chance of desyncs). When grinding, depending on how you jump on a rail/ledge the balance may already be quite off, so there's not much I can do. I'll need to redo everything later anyway.
bihan
He/Him
Player (60)
Is there anything going on with this game?
bihan
He/Him
Player (60)
I've started a TAS. I don't have anything to compare to though. :/
Former player
I found this on Youtube. I can't tell how optimized it is, as I don't own this game. Link to video
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Player (223)
I haven't played this game in a while, but I'm pretty sure that its possible to jump off the ledge right after grabbing it at times like 0:39 I stopped watching soon after that because I noticed who ever made this couldn't seem to even walk in a straight line <_< this certainly is not something you would want to compare times with.
Completed: 2010-Current | Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Individual Level TASes 2014 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Any% in 1:05:03.23 2014 | Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Hero Story (w/ THC98) in 25:11.87 2016 | Metroid Prime - Any% in 00:37 (In-Game Time) 2018 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Cheat% in 1:42.350 2020 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Any% in 0:39:20.10 2022 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Cheat% in 1:25.567 Currently working on: METROID PRIME ANY%
bihan
He/Him
Player (60)
I've been having major problems with desyncs already. Somewhere around 20 seconds my TAS was messed up (that is a lot). For some reason THUG2 has less desyncs than THUG1.
Player (33)
Which build are you using? Are you using the correct settings (http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12484)?
IronSlayer wrote:
Your counterargument would be like me saying that the Earth is round and then you telling me that I need to show it's flat so I can "prove us all wrong".
Seems legit.
bihan
He/Him
Player (60)
I'm using Dolphin x64 3.0-754, and I'm using the correct settings. I tried replaying the TAS again today and it synced all the way through. It's subject to desync probably every other time I replay it.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
What would be interesting is if you started with a save (beating the game once) as there is a different ending also it's a faster run too. Great run so far MUGG.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
bihan
He/Him
Player (60)
I'm going to have to re-TAS this on a different rev of Dolphin, keeps desynching in the same spot at random times. Does anyone recommend a rev? I'm thinking about using a rev with [desync fixes].
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
bihan wrote:
I'm going to have to re-TAS this on a different rev of Dolphin, keeps desynching in the same spot at random times. Does anyone recommend a rev?
Just use the latest official build. Or i suppose, better yet, use the builds in this post, since those changes are not yet included in official releases.
I'm thinking about using a rev with [desync fixes].
I wouldn't use that for gc games. As far as desyncs, make sure you have dual core and idle skipping off, and audio is using LLE recompiler.
bihan
He/Him
Player (60)
rog wrote:
Just use the latest official build. Or i suppose, better yet, use the builds in this post, since those changes are not yet included in official releases.
Thanks rog.