Post subject: Recommended settings (important info)
Active player (432)
Sup fellas. Lately I have noticed some of you have suffered from what I call unnecessary de-syncs. Step number 1: You should always close and reopen Dolphin before playing a .dtm. It's the only way to reset a few things that would otherwise lead to de-syncs. (from mapler90201 and verified by skid). Step number 2: Use these settings: Dual core mode is off Idle skipping is off Audio engine is LLE (either recompiler or interpreter work okay) (from Toadking, aka baby.lueshi and skid). Step number 3: back-ups. Never ever forget to create backups as you never know when/if your file will de-sync. I am sure mugg, sonickpacker, diggidoyo or someone can fill us in with more info but this is the general idea how to avoid de-syncs and to assure a higher level of synchronization.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
If you are Wii rerecording, be sure to disable "Reconnect Wiimote on load state".
Editor, Expert player (2313)
This is pretty much what skid_au recommended to me. SSBM and Mario Party 5 seem to sync fine, but Tony Hawk's Underground desyncs sometimes. But I'm still using r7251, I should update my revision sometime.
Active player (420)
MUGG, I wouldn't recommend updating to the newest rev. I'd stick with r7318 for now. It has the loading times more accurate than previously. In newer revs, a bit of LLE work has been done and it's causing quite a few desyncs. I tried TASing a shine in SMS and a simple sideflip + dive wouldn't sync after nearly 10 tries. Before that even occured, it had desynced at 3 places prior in the movie...I'll add that it wasn't even that many frames. *edit* Also, Idle Skipping doesn't seem to affect any movies I've made with it turned off then played back with it turned on.
Experienced player (580)
I disable sounds completely. The TASable settings slow down the Dolphin to 30fps or less, which makes the audio distracting and unpleasant at times. When you finished recording, choosing dump audio will still... dump audio. Even with no audio output selected. To avoid desyncs, I simply never trust the Dolphin. If you're having problems, try this: Save a main save-state to one you don't use very often (#8) at the beginning of a section (anywhere from a single screen to the whole level). Then run through the section using the other save states as often as you need, but write down (in notepad) what inputs need to be performed on whatever frames. It only needs to make sense to you, so it can be as ambiguous as you like. Here's an example excerpt from mine for Mega Man 10: 12 ^21 fall 22 30-35 >43-49 59 xa68-74 <00> <x28> x30 <x32> 98-x01-x07 x10 27-38 <x50 68 That wont make sense to anyone but me. Once you've completed the section and have everything written down, load your main save-state (#8), and run through the section following the input you wrote down and using minimum save-states (only every so often to redo mistakes). The Dolphin can rerecord through saved/loaded states, but it does a much better job when they aren't used at all or at least not in rapid succession. After you've completed the section, save the recording and play it back to see if it synced. Save states along the way, and if it desynced, load a state from a little before the desync and continue recording from there once again using the inputs your wrote down. Rinse and repeat. Lengthy process but it works for me. Hope that helps.[/img]
I have a question that probably comes in mind of most people TASing or trying to do something off Dolphin: What version do you recommend? I personally tried to TAS Zelda FSA with r7323. Unfortunately, it MASSIVELY desynch (playback can be up to 200 frames faster or slower than original after 5 mins). I may try dolphin v2.0, it seems to be more pleasant and stable, even if I'm not completely sure. Yet I'm afraid if I start a TAS on 2.0 it won't be accepted on TASvideos.org because you can't dump audio. Can't wait to get my questions answered.
Taming Dolphin, one frame at a time
Experienced player (580)
I always upgrade to the latest revision every other week or so. As for a recommendation, why not go with the newly released v3.0?
I tried 3.0. It's more stable than r7323 with zelda FSA, yet it really doesn't want to know anything but desynch after a specific position, apparently, no matter what I do. Time to go for something else. What would be good for a first TAS around here is something like a TAS of SSBM. But I have no clever idea of what could be done to start the bal. EDIT: Okay, yesterday I tried to TAS SSBM twice with v3.0 It desynched twice. Clearly, I will stay with r7323 for the moment, and will work on a TAS of SSBM to submit on TASvideos.org.
Taming Dolphin, one frame at a time
I just recorded something (idle skipping and dual core off) and played it back in Dolphin and there was no desynch. I played it again with no changes and it desynched. I tried closing Dolphin and opening it again to play the recording with the same settings, but it still desynched. I tried different combinations of idle skipping and dual core, but I seem to get a desynch if either of them is on. If I turn both off, then most of the time it desynchs and sometimes it doesn't. I just don't understand this at all. EDIT: Also I can't use LLE, because I just get an error that tells me I have to use HLE. I'm not dumping audio though if that matters. Another problem is that when I frame advance, a ton of frames get skipped. For example I could be on frame 100, frame advance and it'll stay on 100, then frame advance again and it'll jump to 102. It happens all the time and I'm not sure if that's somehow causing desynch issues too.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
The frame counter doesn't behave correctly on r6218. I don't know if it has been fixed since.
I'm using r7511, so I guess not. Do you know if this causes any sort of synching problems at all?