Post subject: Strider Glitches+time attack recommendations...
I am in the process of finally attempting a time attack on Strider for NES...I am curious about any glitches that I may not know of...The way the game was programmed allows many crazy glitches to go on...A few I've found thus far... 1.Go into a slide near the end of a ledge, time your jump right...before going back into the normal stance midair...and, you will magically fly through the top of the screen, THEN come up through the bottom, repeat a few times...This lends to some great "warp" scenarios once I play around a bit more with the glitch... 2.Bounce off of enemy bullets to launch yourself to a ledge you wouldn't normally be able to reach by a standard jump... 3.Walk Through Spikes, self explanatory... 4.Bounce Off Of Spikes...With this one, you can hit spikes a certain way to propel yourself 10 feet above to the ledge closest to the spikes... ...Are there any other notable glitches (or general tactics, tips, etc) any of you nes Aficionados know of...Thanks in advance for any replies...This is a great, and very fun game...and, I am sure will be enjoyed by those watching it once all the glitches come into " perfect playing form"...:)
A few other things I noticed in the gameplay...When going uphill, it's faster to backtrack slightly a few feet, then jump towards uphill for a much faster journey upwards... Many locations require you to traverse several unnecessary platforms, most of which can be avoided entirely by utilizing the triple jump maneuver in the most unlikely of places... several minutes can be saved by dying on purpose once an objective for any given stage is complete... And, of course, Slide jumping is great tactically in many areas...Hopefully, another Strider fan will have further input on this game that may shed light on a few things I am unaware of related to the game...Also wondering if anyone has actually attempted a time attack on this game in the past...If so, to what end result...
Former player
I heard that on Suprnova there was a timeattack of this game which used a glitch to "warp" from the second level to the last one or something ridiculous like that. I couldn't find it, though. =/ -Josh
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
I've been checking out suprnova as long as it has existed...the only time attack that has ever appeared there for Strider has been the Genesis version, which is, unfortunately warpless...Most people I've talked to said that they didn't care to do Strider...which surprises me, It really is a great game...Even if you were to go directly to the last stage, from stage 1 or 2, it would be pretty difficult to navigate through it without all the powerups you obtain up to that point, like attack boots, etc...
Former player
Got a couple of tips for ya - was going to do a run myself, but it looks like I've been beaten to the punch. -Skip the attack boots - unfortunately, they're the only item you can skip in the game. -Never access the menu - the only thing you might need in there is "Jump" and every time it looks like you might need it, you can either triangle jump or run down a slope and get added height. -Skip the bosses - there are two bosses in the game (that I'm aware of) that you can skip. The first is in the second run through China. After you go through your first set of moving spikes, go down the tube and slide left quickly. The turret will come out of the ground, and if you're fast going left, you'll (somehow) skip the sword/shield warrior. The second saves a butt-ton of time. The purple, jumping, spinning, double-sword guy at the Red Dragon takes up more time than anyone else in the game, but the second time you would encounter him (after you "Destroy two systems somewhere"), he can be skipped with a simple glitch. First, you fight (again) the sword/shield warrior. When defeated, the tube to the right will take you down to the purple sword spinner. After you're released from the tube, jump immediately (while in the air) and push left. You'll land on the tube at the left of the screen and you'll never trigger the boss. Press down to continue on. here's a demo. Sorry my compression's so poopy. Last, I'd recommend dying at Kazakh 1, Egypt, Japan, Kazakh 3, and China after you've collected all the items you need. Press start and continue. Unfortunately, you don't get the Warp Spell until you don't need it.
Another item that can be skipped is Disk 1. Just walk/slide under it before it drops from its location every time you go through. And obviously, if you don't pick it up, you don't have to waste time analyzing it either. Definitely use death as a shortcut instead of traversing back to the beginning of a level. It's repetitive enough that you have to play parts of Kazakh 4 times, we don't need to see Hiryu go through them in both directions. There's really only one "right" path through the game as far as I've been able to discover, and a lot of texty cinema scenes that can't be skipped over... I think glitch abuse is going to be important if the goal is to create a movie that people will want to watch more than once.
Post subject: Re: Strider Glitches+time attack recommendations...
Former player
KMFDManic wrote:
1.Go into a slide near the end of a ledge, time your jump right...before going back into the normal stance midair...and, you will magically fly through the top of the screen, THEN come up through the bottom, repeat a few times...This lends to some great "warp" scenarios once I play around a bit more with the glitch...
Can't wait to see this one in action - I've never seen any of this. And don't you need disk 1 to get you to China?
the slide glitch i accidentally found about after I was backtracking through the first stage , upon gaining the slide powerup...Directly after the small tunnel where the screen flashes for a few seconds, there is a little area where you can take an elevator up, and basically go around in a little circle again and again...I slided to the left after going up the elevator...then while in midair, tapped jump at a precise moment...and it just scrambled me directly to the top of the screen...and then back up through the bottom..about 5 or so times before settling on the ledge above...Someone else has to have seen this trick before...Try it out and see how easy you guys can get it to work...I appreciate the advice on the game, and if any of you decide to take on the time attack yourself, I won't mind a bit at all...I am just taking my time on it, and am not quite sure when I can completely finish it...But, I may try to do at least level 1 and 2 to showcase the glitches I found in those stages...then try to find some way of letting those interested check my progress out...Post here if you can also do the warp through wall trick...
Ok, I ran into a serious dilemma with this one...I keep getting Op Code Errors randomly which completely screw up the continuity of a complete run of the game...I realize I can't really do segments, so I sort of have no option but to not use Famtasia emulator to do it...Unless someone else has a better suggestion...Any comments would be appreciated...I'd keep getting perfect runs of the first few stages in a row..then blam, OP CODE ruiner extreme...:(
Former player
I know you're not an amateur but you might still check the rom and make sure it's not some weak one. Try replaying and resuming your movie with a different rom with a different byte count, it could be corruption or stuff like that. Although.. I did have the op code problem with snake rattle & roll though it was at the very end of the game. I hope you get it fixed cause I love strider! I almost made a run myself but I was not too experienced with the full game and its various tricks.
the game crashes in all versions of the rom on the famtasia emulator...and corrupts the movies in the process...but never crashes in virtuanes or fceu...but, the preferred emulator for time attacks for submissions is famtasia..that is where my predicament lies...This is my personal favorite NES game for some odd reason or another, so I would very much like to be able to pass this one onto you guys sometime in the near future...just don't want to make a time attack that won't be seen if I happen to use the wrong emulator...
Active player (277)
Well, if you can't get it to work, then you don't have much of a choice. I'm sure no one will get mad at you if you have to make an FCEU movie because the Famtasia one keeps breaking.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
I suggest you do it with FCEU The frame advance feature is great.
I still seem to be encountering crash issues, even when attempting this run via other emulators...Again, it all seems fairly random...And, it most often occurs after I reload from save states...Is this a common issue I am unaware of? There are so many interesting and kewl tricks you can do in this game...Sort of sad that it seems so difficult to pull off movie wise, simply due to random crashes...Another pretty fun looking stunt I pull off is letting enemies go to jump over me...Normally, they always hit you on their way down...But, I found if you duck at the precise moment, they will miss you just barely and no damage will occur...I also love jumping midair after falling out of tubes...If anyone is interested in seeing me playing around in the first stage, pulling off a few of these tricks...just email me at KMFDManic@comcast.net and I will send the movie file so that you can check it out..Be sure to post what you think of what I've done here...And, if you see any other opportunities for tricks to pull off...I try to do triple jumps in the most inopportune of places, as well...Well, here is to hoping a few of you still have interest in this very fun game...
Former player
hmmm..I'm not sure what could be making your rom crash, as I've played through the game a few times without a single crash. I've played around with doing a run, and have the first couple of stages done (though not optimal, just a quick run through to set the bar), so seeing some of your tricks would be cool, just send them to (abharrie at takklesoft dot com) -Cheez
Former player
I'm freezing up all the time with this one. When I just play the game through, I don't have problems, but it likes to crash when I reload multiple times from the same spot. If I could recommend going through Kazakh 1, stopping the movie, making a backup copy, picking it back up for Egypt, stopping the movie, making a backup copy, etc. It's time consuming, but it's better than losing the whole movie to a twitch at the Red Dragon. I've also noticed you can wait a moment and try reloading again - sometimes it picks back up.
I did a perfect rendition of the first stage of Strider, showcasing the many glitches and tricks...including the wonderful, and truly astounding to behold launch through the ceiling over and over and over again trick...I felt this movie impressive enough to submit to Bisqwit as is...I genuinely believe this will be very enjoyable movie to all who take the few minutes to watch it...So, to end this topic...Hope you like the movie...And, thanks for the patience you have all had in me making this time attack-playaround...especially with the emulator crash problems that kept recurring:)
Former player
well...the playaround video was pretty cool...but I finished a complete playthrough today...26:50. It's hardly optimal, as I learned a few tricks later that I could've done earlier, but it sets the bar. I crashed a total of 0 zero times making this movie. I used Famtasia for it. http://abharrie.misterdotnet.com/Strider.rar -Cheez
Former player
Cheez, it seems like your run could be a framework that can be optimized into a time attack. Nice work, now let's fix it. ^_^
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Former player
hehe, that was exactly the idea. Get a general run up. Get some input, and work on a better version. Lather, rinse, repeat. -Cheez
Former player
So far as I can tell, here are a few "rules," so to speak: -Sliding is faster than walking, so always be sliding. -Taking hits doesn't stop or even slow Hiryu, so enemies can be largely ignored. -However, attacking doesn't slow Hiryu either, so pick your spots for fighting vs sliding. If possible, a few kills to pick up health could allow for ignoring more enemies (like those spiked walls). -Death makes an excellent shortcut in many areas. Given these premises, there is (almost) no reason to EVER stop moving. But what's up with that "plasma" thing? Does that have a point? Is it more powerful?
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Former player
It's more powerful than just using the cipher, but there are only a couple of spots it saves time because of the huge preparation involved - the flying boxes around the trees and the final (human) boss, Matic. And of course it's the only thing that penetrates that glass bubble. EDIT: Shows ya what I know.
Former player
feitclub wrote:
So far as I can tell, here are a few "rules," so to speak: -Sliding is faster than walking, so always be sliding.
Right, though you can't stop mid-slide, so I chose to walk a couple spot before jumping over some spikes in Africa, though it might be faster to jump on the spikes, I'll have to play with it, and see how much life I have
feitclub wrote:
-Taking hits doesn't stop or even slow Hiryu, so enemies can be largely ignored.
Taking hits *does* hinder your jumping so you can't jump as high, so I have to be wary of that.
feitclub wrote:
-However, attacking doesn't slow Hiryu either, so pick your spots for fighting vs sliding. If possible, a few kills to pick up health could allow for ignoring more enemies (like those spiked walls).
I also discovered later in the run, that you can slide, then let go of down and hit attack, and you keep running at sliding speed while you attack, and as soon as you finish the attack, you go back into the sliding animation. So you can keep moving at sliding speed while attacking, which a huge plus. And I'll try getting some more life to avoid the spiked walls and things to see if that's faster. And I'm a little annoyed at that magnetic wall near the very end where I had to stop and wait for the enemies....the first time I went through the game, I was able to hit them without stopping, but I couldn't get that to happen no matter what I tried when I was recording. And FYI, those enemies did 15 damage per hit, and hit like 5 times while trying to walk through them.
feitclub wrote:
-Death makes an excellent shortcut in many areas.
Very true
feitclub wrote:
Given these premises, there is (almost) no reason to EVER stop moving. But what's up with that "plasma" thing? Does that have a point? Is it more powerful?
Another spot that annoyed me was in the cave part in Africa where I had to stop and wait for a platform, had I been able to do a super jump off the edge, I probably could've caught it. I can typically get the super jumps about 1 in 4 tries...but it refused to let me do it on that ledge for some reason. If I waited for the platform to leave the screen, I could hit it though, so it was a bit frustrating. And the plasma thing, is pretty much the only way to kill Matic at the end, I tried doing it without it, but it's pretty much not doable. -Cheez
a tip for you cheez, to pull of the wall launch jump trick...at the precise moment you land from a slide jump...you need to toggle the controller repeatedly up and down, etc...and quickly jump again to get the glitch to occur...I am almost certain you can find an interesting place or two to utilize it...Glad to see someone was inspired enough to continue my dream...And, without the emu crashing either...Not sure how you got away with that one...:)
Former player
Cheez wrote:
And I'm a little annoyed at that magnetic wall near the very end where I had to stop and wait for the enemies....the first time I went through the game, I was able to hit them without stopping, but I couldn't get that to happen no matter what I tried when I was recording. And FYI, those enemies did 15 damage per hit, and hit like 5 times while trying to walk through them.
Maybe use one of the spark spells?